Hidden Talents-Spill the Beans!

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
1586588421704.png

I've just stumbled upon StrangeOtter's post in the April Health Challenge thread, where I discovered that he/she (sorry don't know which one it is) has painted a gorgeous profile picture. How lucky to have such talent. Moreover, otters are such adorable and fun creatures.

So, do any of you have hidden talents? I know a few members who certainly have some outstanding ones and don't boast about them.

Wikepedia ''A talent (or gift, or aptitude) is the skill that someone has to do something very well that people usually like and that is difficult. ... Skills people commonly value as talents are entertaining, beautiful, or impressive for a different reason like Music, dancing, acting or sports.''

I'm just curious to know whether any of you have talents that you would like to share. I'm sure that I'm going to get some sarcastic and/or funny responses. :D

@StrangeOtter Can we see some more of your work ?;)
Aww... I have taken the picture of the otter painting with my camera, so I'm a little nervous about the quality of the pictures.
I have an old DeviantArt gallery, but I have pretty much abandoned it.
But I have been thinking about making a new Deviant account, with a fresh start. But to do that I should first buy a scanner.

Here are some of the works that I'm happy with. Most of my old content is not worth mentioning,

Crimson Sea I by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Raven by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Stranger. by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Defeat by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Aww... I have taken the picture of the otter painting with my camera, so I'm a little nervous about the quality of the pictures.
I have an old DeviantArt gallery, but I have pretty much abandoned it.
But I have been thinking about making a new Deviant account, with a fresh start. But to do that I should first buy a scanner.

Here are some of the works that I'm happy with. Most of my old content is not worth mentioning,

Crimson Sea I by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Raven by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Stranger. by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Defeat by WinterRavenWolf on DeviantArt

Thank you for sharing. You certainly do have talent and should pursue your idea.:)

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Thank you all so much for support!
You have no idea how much it means to me. 😻

I have made a new Deviant account. I'm not going to submit any paintings, because to me it's important that the subtle details are visible, and with my camera that isn't going to happen.
But I have uploaded some outlines that everyone is free to print and colour. If you have kids they might like those. The quality isn't the best though, I'm really sorry about that. But since I don't have a scanner that's all I'm able to provide right now.
I have also uploaded some pictures that I'm going to give away soon, therefore will not have those anymore when I get the scanner.

Again, Thank you so much! :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your art also StrangeOtter! I have no artistic talent though when I was a child I drew horses as I was obsessed with them!
Wow. Thank you! :heart:
I have tried to draw horses. My goal is to draw an Unicorn successfully some day, but I'm inadequate.
It's all about practice, I suppose.

Wow. Thank you! :heart:
I have tried to draw horses. My goal is to draw an Unicorn successfully some day, but I'm inadequate.
It's all about practice, I suppose.
I suppose, since I have so much time on my hands, I could attempt to draw again. I thought I was pretty good when I was 12 years old! :D

Thank you all so much for support!
You have no idea how much it means to me. 😻

I have made a new Deviant account. I'm not going to submit any paintings, because to me it's important that the subtle details are visible, and with my camera that isn't going to happen.
But I have uploaded some outlines that everyone is free to print and colour. If you have kids they might like those. The quality isn't the best though, I'm really sorry about that. But since I don't have a scanner that's all I'm able to provide right now.
I have also uploaded some pictures that I'm going to give away soon, therefore will not have those anymore when I get the scanner.

Again, Thank you so much! :heart:

The piglet and dog look like they are real. That is also what struck me about the otter. You have managed to make the drawings look like they are alive. I'm impressed. :heart_eyes:

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I suppose, since I have so much time on my hands, I could attempt to draw again. I thought I was pretty good when I was 12 years old! :D
That's an amazing idea! I'm sure that you are still good at it. Drawing is something you can't forget. :)

The piglet and dog look like they are real. That is also what struck me about the otter. You have managed to make the drawings look like they are alive. I'm impressed. :heart_eyes:
To be honest, I didn't think that I was "talented"..... But you have restored faith in my abilities and that's why I'm inspired to try my best.
Thank you. :heart:

To be honest, I didn't think that I was "talented"..... But you have restored faith in my abilities and that's why I'm inspired to try my best.
Thank you. :heart:

I had noticed your beautiful avatar and honestly thought that it was one of Gavin Maxwell's sketches of Mij, his pet otter. He was the author of the book and inspirational story which was made into a film, The Ring of Brightwater. The book and film are absolute gems and amongst my favourite ones. Sadly, it has a most tragic ending. :sweat:

Otters have a unique and mischievous look and you have managed to capture it. So yes, you do have great talent and I would seriously encourage you to pursue it.:) Have you seen em Cleo Bryant's work? She may also be able to inspire you.

It's so sad that otters are on the decline and many people have no idea about their most wonderful personalities.

1586769671604.png

Gavin & Mij

I first read a condensed version of Ring Of Bright Water in a Reader’s Digest. I loved the story until the end. Then I saw the movie. It’s when I first fell in love with Otters. Mij <3:smitten:

Last edited:
I first read a condensed version of Ring OfBright Water in a Reader’s Digest. I loved the story until the end. Then I saw the movie. It’s when I first fell in love with Otters. Mij <3:smitten:

Same here.

I think that anybody who has read or seen the film The Ring of Bright Water, fell in love with Mij. I swear that he seemed like a humanbeing. 💞

I am immensely jealous of those who have lived such an intense relationship with a wild animal. ;)

I had noticed your beautiful avatar and honestly thought that it was one of Gavin Maxwell's sketches of Mij, his pet otter. He was the author of the book and inspirational story which was made into a film, The Ring of Brightwater. The book and film are absolute gems and amongst my favourite ones. Sadly, it has a most tragic ending. :sweat:

Otters have a unique and mischievous look and you have managed to capture it. So yes, you do have great talent and I would seriously encourage you to pursue it.:) Have you seen em Cleo Bryant's work? She may also be able to inspire you.

It's so sad that otters are on the decline and many people have no idea about their most wonderful personalities.

View attachment 20516

Gavin & Mij
WOW! Cleo Bryant's work is amazing! I'm super inspired. :heart:
Thank you for encouragement. That means a lot.

Otters are wonderful, you are right! :)
Lutra lutra is mainly very solidary otter species, but the female allows young otters to hunt in her territory. It's speculated that the female can recognize her grown up pups by smell. They have very good sense of smell, hearing and eye sight. Also, males give better hunting grounds, during winter, to the female and her offspring, even when that means that the males will suffer from it.
And Asian small-clawed otters, -which are listed as Vulnerable in the IUCN Red List, and are victims of cruel pet trade,- are monogamous. And they are way too adorable.
Singapore smooth coated otters are family-centered, some live in huge pacts. Giant otters are also family-centered, and they are listed as endangered. In Spanish Giant otters are called river wolf: Lobo de rio. Otters do act like dogs or wolves oftentimes. And I do love wolves, but otters are even better, because they are all semiaquatic, aquatic or marine. Evolution has made them that way over the last 23 million years, and the otter we know today has evolved significantly 7 million years ago.
Otter is a sign of clear water and healthy habitat.
Sea otters keep kelp forests alive by eating sea urchin, and that's why they are important factor in fighting climate change. But ocean warming decreases the capacity of kelp forests to absorb carbon. So otters can not do everything by themselves. We humans must change or habits.
And they are playful, like you said. They play with each other, even moms play with their pups. And Lutra lutra may slide down a snowy hill just out of pleasure. They slide, reach the water, climb up again and slide. When otters aren't sleeping or resting, they are constantly doing something: playing, hunting, taking care of their thick fur, etc. They have the most dense fur in all animal kingdom and that has evolved to keep the cold water completely away from their skin, because they do not have blubber.

I wish there would be more books and documentaries available about otters.
I will have to get my paws on The Ring of Brightwater. Even if the ending isn't going to be happy.. Thank you for telling me about the book. :heart_eyes:

Last edited by a moderator: