Happiness questionaire

This was a master's thesis 🙄
You bring up another variable it never addresses. Very many new to a vegan diet are far from happy. Often it's feeling of guilt, and sadness from waking up to just how f'd our cultural norms of using animals for our own benefit. Often people do find peace after giving them up, but the study doesn't address how long anyones been vegan.
Doesn't address their health, or motives, social or economic standings, or diet
This might show when you look at the items individually. Good point, thanks

Pointing out flaws in the 'study' is negativity? No, it's called critique

The study is flawed
It's like having a study of whether people who eat oats for breakfast have better blood sugar levels, or better weight. You could have people eating instant oats loaded with sugar, or you can have people eating steel cut oats with fresh fruit. Repeat that study a few dozen times, with different people, you'll never replicate the findings!
If there would be a BIG difference , this would most likely have been picked up earlier. It is partly true what you are saying. You can do the test at different times in your life, to see if the score has changed

?????????? o_O You can find out if vegans are happier than the average person by only testing vegans? :sob:
That is the point. Normal people have already been tested, and they score an average of 4. The score of the «Vegan group» so far is only 1% higher. But it is only raw material so far and has to be gone through in detail of course. I will let you know when it is validatet properly and publish the final score in 2-3 weeks

If there would be a BIG difference , this would most likely have been picked up earlier. It is partly true what you are saying. You can do the test at different times in your life, to see if the score has changed
and it would be picked up where exactly? there are NO qualifiers for this questionnaire other than "vegan".

That is the point. Normal people have already been tested, and they score an average of 4. The score of the «Vegan group» so far is only 1% higher. But it is only raw material so far and has to be gone through in detail of course. I will let you know when it is validatet properly and publish the final score in 2-3 weeks
"Normal" people? I don't suppose that study had any qualifiers other than "omni"! :ignore:

Reactions: vesper818
and it would be picked up where exactly? there are NO qualifiers for this questionnaire other than "vegan".
It would have been picked up by researchers and the media and maybe the food industry and perhaps nutritionists. Vegan is the only criteria, but I prefer non-drinkers and people that dont eat mushrooms

"Normal" people? I don't suppose that study had any qualifiers other than "omni"! :ignore:
Most people are unfortunatly omnivores. I dont believe that the control group had any prerequisites. Im still looking for the average score, with some decimals behind it :/

I kindly ask only vegans to answer:

Below are a number of statements about happiness. Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with each by entering a number in the blank after each statement, according to the following scale:
1 = strongly disagree
2 = moderately disagree 3 = slightly disagree
4 = slightly agree
5 = moderately agree
6 = strongly agree
Please read the statements carefully, some of the questions are phrased positively and others negatively. Don’t take too long over individual questions; there are no “right” or “wrong” answers (and no trick questions). The first answer that comes into your head is probably the right one for you. If you find some of the questions difficult, please give the answer that is true for you in general or for most of the time.

[Link removed - questionaire is now closed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Statements such as "I don't feel I have control of my life" have nothing to do with diet. I have always felt like that both as an omnivore and after giving up animal produce. This is because they are grounded, not only in subjective feeling, but also in external situations. You really need to rethink this. I'm starting to realize why I never trust academic studies these days. It's because academics rarely seem to be grounded in every day reality!

Reactions: vesper818
Maybe vegans have more (or less) control in their life. There are 29 items, there will be some variation in the responses, but with the average score of all of them, the truth is more accurate. Happiness is often being called «subjective well-being». If making small changes in your life, like switching to a vegan lifestyle can improve areas in your life, it is a small cost i guess.

I think someone mentioned B12 vitamin. This is the only vitamin that is making going vegan a bit of challenge. There is hardly any plant source for this, and is often taken as a supplement. I read somewhere that this vitamin can be stored in the body for up to a year. However I would mention this to your GP if you can, since it might have severe consequences if you are having a deficit of it. Fun fact: Chimpanzees can make their own B12

Last edited:
VS
If you sense a level of pullback here, use your imagination a little.:
Suppose, as a stranger, you walked into a vegan coffee shop where everyone was somewhat acquainted, and engaged in conversations. You started passing out out printed questionnaires, and said, "would you mind taking this survey?" , with little or no explanation of who you were or what your intentions where.
It is a little off-putting.
Many such requests here get little or no response. I don't believe anyone is trying to be negative. At least with you, we are asking some questions before we click on your link. The more forthright and open you are here, and the more responsive are, you might find far deeper wells for research here than generic 'happiness' surveys.
Dumb me, I had to search where Stavanger is......
Thanks, and good luck with your thesis.

Ps. Poll-takers should , at the least, appear unbiased. Stating that "normal" people have been surveyed first, seems to imply that vegans are not .... 🤪🥦

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt and Brian W
VS
Suppose, as a stranger, you walked into a vegan coffee shop where everyone was somewhat acquainted, and engaged in conversations. You started passing out out printed questionnaires, and said, "would you mind taking this survey?" , with little or no explanation of who you were or what your intentions where.
Many such requests here get little or no response. I don't believe anyone is trying to be negative. At least with you, we are asking some questions before we click on your link. The more forthright and open you are here, and the more responsive are, you might find far deeper wells for research here than generic 'happiness' surveys.

Ps. Poll-takers should , at the least, appear unbiased. Stating that "normal" people have been surveyed first, seems to imply that vegans are not .... 🤪🥦
We have people asking for survey participation here a lot. That wasn't the real issue. The issue was subjectivity on what indicates happiness, and no control of anything other than being vegan, or eating animal products, which is crazy large range of folks on both sides

Reactions: bEt and vesper818
VS

Yes I get that, but there is no reason to be paranoid as long as there is no demographic or personal data involved. I do not know who answered. It is 100% anonymous.