Figs are not vegan?!

^^^Most of them are, but I guess these particular wasps are vegan... they don't sting us, or even eat other insects evidently... they just want a fig flower to lay their eggs in.

Unfortunately, virtually all agriculture involves the death of insects. Even organic agricultural certifications permit the use of certain non-synthetic insecticides. Nevertheless, vegan diets serve to minimize violence.

Reactions: ledboots
ewwwwww won't be eating figs anymore

And fruit flies and ketchup? I love ketchup though....... But must see if the ketchup thing someone said is true..... If so, idk of I can eat it anymore. But I loved ketchup.
* Heartache*

*grossed out*

Circle of life, folks. Every plant grows in soil which, if traced back far enough, came from some animal that died and rotted. We've been recycling the same nutrient pool since the primordial slime days. Everything you eat or drink or breathe passed through countless billions of other living things first.

If you like figs, eat figs. No one is relying on the exploitation of wasps for these fruits. The lettuce you eat is only a few steps away from a decomposed deer, whose corpse was consumed hungrily by bacteria and fungi and redistributed into soil for hundreds of miles by other animals. No avoiding this, and it's not exploitation of animals, just their natural lives coming and going.

You're so sensible. [emoji4]
My link in the gripe thread may have done me in, though, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about the wasps years ago and it grossed me out to where I couldn't eat fig newtons anymore. I've recently gotten over that and have started eating Trader Joe's fig bites. :lick:

And of course they are vegan. Don't blame the fig for it's terrible reproductive system design.
Those Trader Joe's Fig Bites are totally evil. Impossible to stop eating! :)

I had never heard about this wasp thing. I guess I won't worry about it. Free protein? Ack.

But harvesting harms animals. When I worked at the cannery sadly dead birds and even live rabbits came in with the produce. There were people who worked there that would take home any injured small animal, keep and then release to the wild. There were success stories. But it's sad what the big farming does. The cannery I worked at was pears and green beans.

It's funny, but I haven't been able to eat anything fig since this thread. I know it's silly. I saw the fig bites at trader Joe's and almost bought them but just couldn't. It will probably pass. I hope it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk