February Health Challenge (2017)

I wish I liked stevia! I used to like some artificial sweeteners, like splenda, in some pop, but since completely stopping it all things other than sugar tastes horrid. Stevia used to be ok, but now is also horrid, and in so many things now.

I have a hard time with all artificial sweeteners.

I have a hard time with all artificial sweeteners.

I use other alternatives to sugar not only in baking but also for making desserts and drinks. I think that you need to find the right product as there are many brands available.

Sweeteners I've tried to date and didn't like. I'm open to suggestions!

The originals like sweet n low(pink), Splenda (yellow) and the blue one, I'm forgetting the name.
Stevia pure organic which is what I have now and like the best, even though I don't like it much. I've also tried other brands of Stevia from the supermarket, like Truvia and I think there's another one. There's a sweetener made from monk fruit...it's an orange packet.

I've tried everything available in my supermarkets. I'm not adverse from ordering online.

I'm not likely to use anything on a regular basis that's not fairly natural. I'm ok using sugar in my coffee as long as I'm not overdosing on junk food which I shouldn't be doing anyway since I'm trying to maintain my weight and eat more healthy. I should also limit myself to two cups a day. Sometimes that's hard to do.

Sweeteners I've tried to date and didn't like. I'm open to suggestions!

The originals like sweet n low(pink), Splenda (yellow) and the blue one, I'm forgetting the name.
Stevia pure organic which is what I have now and like the best, even though I don't like it much. I've also tried other brands of Stevia from the supermarket, like Truvia and I think there's another one. There's a sweetener made from monk fruit...it's an orange packet.

I've tried everything available in my supermarkets. I'm not adverse from ordering online.

I'm not likely to use anything on a regular basis that's not fairly natural. I'm ok using sugar in my coffee as long as I'm not overdosing on junk food which I shouldn't be doing anyway since I'm trying to maintain my weight and eat more healthy. I should also limit myself to two cups a day. Sometimes that's hard to do.

What is is about the sweeteners that you don't like ? Do you use them only for sweetening drinks and yogurts or also for baking ?

I have never had an issue with an aftertaste with stevia and I use whatever brand is on sale. I avoid aspartame and saccharine like the plague; will use real sugar over those. I haven't tried the monk fruit ones. I think there are some stevia/sugar combos available too.

What is is about the sweeteners that you don't like ? Do you use them only for sweetening drinks and yogurts or also for bakin g ?
The aftertaste, bitterness. I would use them mainly for my tea/coffee and if I wanted to have cold or hot cereal.

I haven't had much luck with artificial/alternative sweeteners, either. I mostly don't like the aftertaste, especially with stevia. I absolutely hate it. I wish I could tolerate it.

The aftertaste, bitterness. I would use them mainly for my tea/coffee and if I wanted to have cold or hot cereal.

I haven't had much luck with artificial/alternative sweeteners, either. I mostly don't like the aftertaste, especially with stevia. I absolutely hate it. I wish I could tolerate it.

I don't have any bitter aftertaste with the brands that I buy.

All sweeteners taste artificial to me. They're all disgusting - I'd rather have sugar.

All sweeteners taste artificial to me. They're all disgusting - I'd rather have sugar.
It's working for me because I'm using it with real sugar, it just lets me use less for now.
This is what I use now:
IMG_2157.JPG

This is not an insult to anyone who likes alternative sweeteners. Everyone's taste is different. It's ok! Lol I wish I liked it more.
:) <3

This is not an insult to anyone who likes alternative sweeteners. Everyone's taste is different. It's ok! Lol I wish I liked it more.
:) <3

Have you tried with TJ's stevia extract or NuNaturals ? Neither have any bitter aftertaste.

I didn't take it as an insult but was thinking that you may think that my bakes taste awful. :p All my cakes and tarts taste great and everyone usually have second helpings. As I have previously stated the sugar substitutes that I use have no aftertaste whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Haha. I never tried in baked goods. I will have to do that.

And I didn't try Trader Joe's but NuNTurals sounds familiar. I'm going to finish up what I have and then try those other two.

I always hated aspartamine, but would look for Coke and yogurts with splenda. When I stopped drinking pop and having yogurt and much later tried a coke w splenda it was just horrid. very very chemical. I tried stevia- same thing. Every one that KLS52 listed taste that way now.
I even got a health drink with what they said was a 'little' stevia, and a B12 tab, and couldn't take either one.
I guess its like cilantro
I do regularly chew gum with xylitol and that's ok

That is because you most probably buy the original stevia extract which has a liquorice aftertaste. Some brands such as TJ's and Nu Naturals remove the liquorice taste and are quite neutral.

I've been doing quite badly with the healthy eating (I just can't be bothered!) but I have managed to lose another 2 lbs so far this month. I assume it is because I have been going for a long walk each day.:)

The negative side is that I have a bad knee as I had surgery a few years ago and it has been hurting. I am going to do some strength exercises for my legs after my walks.

I've been doing quite badly with the healthy eating (I just can't be bothered!) but I have managed to lose another 2 lbs so far this month. I assume it is because I have been going for a long walk each day.:)

The negative side is that I have a bad knee as I had surgery a few years ago and it has been hurting. I am going to do some strength exercises for my legs after my walks.

Do you have one of those knee shields/pads ? I also suffer with my left knee but the doctor is reluctant for me to have surgery. She says that it (knee replacement) is done every 20 years.

Do you have one of those knee shields/pads ? I also suffer with my left knee but the doctor is reluctant for me to have surgery. She says that it (knee replacement) is done every 20 years.

Yes, I have, I could wear that too. I think it is to do with the cold weather as well as my bad knee hurts more in very cold or hot weather.

The doctor tried to put me off having surgery too as I read that they were trying to cut knee and hip operations on the NHS at the time. I insisted to him that I wanted it as I was in a lot of pain before the surgery. :gl:It kept locking up and I couldn't walk on it.

Yes, I have, I could wear that too. I think it is to do with the cold weather as well as my bad knee hurts more in very cold or hot weather.

The doctor tried to put me off having surgery too as I read that they were trying to cut knee and hip operations on the NHS at the time. I insisted to him that I wanted it as I was in a lot of pain before the surgery. :gl:It kept locking up and I couldn't walk on it.

That certainly did justify having surgery. Mine isn't that bad so she suggests that I wait until it gets much worse.