Exploring the Ex Vegan Phenomenon

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2014/01/...-vegan-phenomenon-plus-best-day-ever-perhaps/

We are always a bit shocked when we hear about a vegan turning back to meat eating. I found this video to be very interesting and informative. There are so many different reasons why there's a large majority of ex vegans and the video addresses some of those reasons.

The speakers in the video are Sayward Rebhal , a vegan blogger, author of the Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide, and a vegan lifestyle coach and educator and Matt Ruscigno, MPH, RD who runs his own private practice and has also co authored No Meat Athlete with Matt Frazier and Appetite For Reduction by Isa Moskowitz.

Sayward's speaks openly and honestly about her own personal struggles while facing failing health as a vegan. More information about that can be found here: http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2013/01/facing-failing-health-on-a-vegan-diet/

That made a VERY thought invoking read, thanks TFO.

M'main thought, initialy, was along the lines of this; Are some/many who go vegan changing their diets too radicaly too quickly or simply, over a longer period of time, going too far?

Two famous examples of veg*ans who went too far, damaged their health, and had to recede are Gandhi (by his own admission) and the current Dali Lama (reportedly).

Gandhi ended up needing milk (he went for goats milk only as that gave him a dodgy caveat for breaking a vow of veganism he made to his Jain mother).

The Dl's Tibetan quacks, according to what is widely reported, put him on a diet that included animal products every other day.

I think the damage was to liver in both instances due to extreme low fat diets, btw.

We are always a bit shocked when we hear about a vegan turning back to meat eating.

I don't know if I'm unusual but I've never heard of any British vegan I've met or seen online going back to eating meat because of health reasons.

I've known people who say that they tried being vegetarian and felt ill so they stopped though.:confused:

I think these are some really important talks & blog posts. (A shame about the interruptions in the video - is that a lawnmower? Anyway, it goes away in the end.)

The fact that someone in the vegan community is talking about this without being excommunicated / ridiculed / attacked is perhaps a sign of a maturing community. We can acknowledge that a vegan diet requires planning and in-depth knowledge about nutrition. And that the many claims to the effect that protein requires no special consideration were probably incorrect.

Of course, this is also a story about the failure of the medical profession to listen to and correctly diagnose issues pertaining to diet / nutrition.

Rebhal's blog posts on this topic should be mandatory reads for anyone who's been vegan for a while. I hope she follows through with her idea for a book.

I recently found that blogpost myself, because some of you might remember my thread about going vegan and always being ill so I was looking for answers on the net. Really interesting stuff -especially poignant to me because like the author I also have my own free-range chickens and every day I wonder if I should eat the occasional egg to get a bit of B12.

What's also really interesting is that I've just become a client of Matt Ruscigno -he's going to have a look at my diet and make sure that I'm getting everything I need. My current theory is that I haven't been paying enough attention to nutrients that I should/shouldn't eat together (like iron and calcium) and that I've been eating too many improperly prepared nuts, seeds, grains and legumes. Hopefully he will be able to help and I can get myself 100% well again.

I think as a community we should be more open about the fact (and less worried about attracting criticism) that as humans we're not meant to be vegan. We're probably meant to eat small amounts of animal products. If we make the choice not to do so then we absolutely can thrive and probably become ultimately healthier, but it has to be done right.

M'main thought, initialy, was along the lines of this; Are some/many who go vegan changing their diets too radicaly too quickly or simply, over a longer period of time, going too far?

I think this is the case in some situations. I think people tend to go a bit overboard when it comes to cutting out certain food groups. There are quite a few vegan groups out there that firmly believe that some specific foods are dangerous and unhealthy . Everyday someone is touting the evils of things such as gluten, soy, sugar, oil, fats, cooked foods, processed foods, grains, starches, etc. When you cut out group after group of certain foods of course your diet is going to be very restrictive and you will have to work even harder to ensure you are getting the proper nutrients. Most people that cut out all those groups though don't tend to do that though. They feel that since they are abstaining from all the "unhealthy" and "evil" foods that they have nothing to worry about. That is, until they get sick.

I think these are some really important talks & blog posts. (A shame about the interruptions in the video - is that a lawnmower? Anyway, it goes away in the end.)

Yeah sorry about that . I should've posted a warning. It is highly annoying.

The fact that someone in the vegan community is talking about this without being excommunicated / ridiculed / attacked is perhaps a sign of a maturing community. We can acknowledge that a vegan diet requires planning and in-depth knowledge about nutrition. And that the many claims to the effect that protein requires no special consideration were probably incorrect.

Agreed.

Of course, this is also a story about the failure of the medical profession to listen to and correctly diagnose issues pertaining to diet / nutrition.

Sadly it's not surprising. I will be honest and say that I was surprised that of all people to properly diagnose her, it was a naturopath.

Rebhal's blog posts on this topic should be mandatory reads for anyone who's been vegan for a while. I hope she follows through with her idea for a book.

Me too. It's very eye opening.

Two famous examples of veg*ans who went too far, damaged their health, and had to recede are Gandhi (by his own admission) and the current Dali Lama (reportedly).

Gandhi ended up needing milk (he went for goats milk only as that gave him a dodgy caveat for breaking a vow of veganism he made to his Jain mother).

Just wanted to add that in Gandhis case it was not so much the changing of his diet that caused his health problems, but rather his preferred means to achieve political concessions, which was going on prolonged hunger strikes (not eating anything and threatening to starve to death until his demands were met).

That measure, luckily, is not often used by "normal" people, so they might be more on the safe side.

Let's not talk about the Dalai Lama, because frankly, I suspect that with advancements in medicine and food technology, it would today be easily possible to find vegan food that could healthily sustain him ... if he so wanted.

There are a number of reports that he really likes veal and specifically requests it if vegan (or even vegetarian) food is offered to him on official occasions :mad:.

Reactions: Second Summer

I was a strict Vegan for seven years and during my pregnancy I was actually accused of 'selfishly pursuing a diet at the risk of my unborn child' and to my shame and my deep regret I returned to meat eating.

The pressure from medical staff ( and my parents) was so great that I caved in. My husband at the time (also following a Vegan diet) did not have the balls to stand up for me and brought into the panic tactics of my medical team. It was a long awaited pregnancy and he chose not to take any chances at all. At the time I did not have forums, friends, or contacts from the Vegan world. No one in my medical team made any attempt to provide guidance or support to continue and still have a healthy pregnancy.

Even now many, many , moons later it is stillappears to be considered the step too far.

However, I do feel that Vegans do hold some responsibility for his view. Veganism is an alternative lifestyle needing alternative foods, not just leaving out the ones you find unacecptable. Some people follow alternative diets purely because they are alternative without any regard for the 'nuts and bolts' practicalities of maintaining a healthy diet.

Also, even if you are geniunely intent on following a Vegan diet : taking that first step from throwing tins into your Tesco trolley (other supermarkets are available;)) without reading the label is also the biggest step to questioning anything and everythingthat goes into your body. Without realising it this can lead to a position where so much is unacceptable that nothing goes in at all!!!

A work friend of mine moved from meat eating to Veggie to Vegan to raw food within a matter of weeks and ignoring my attempts to guide her diet . She then presented at the GP surgery a drained and disillusioned yogurt weaver with broken nails and hair loss. No exactly an advocate for a Vegan diet.

She has now returned to meat eating for health reasons.

Yes, that is what normally happens when those awful vegan diets ravage the bodies of innocent people.... o_O

I was really disappointed with her because to all intents and purposes she is an intelligent and articulate woman. Everyone in the office was watching her progress with interest as it was assumed that working opposite her I had converted her , there was a bit of a nervousness that 'it' was spreading!!

Then of course as she moved from stage to stage eating...well God knows what.. and was showing visible signs of exhaustion and complaining of split ends and split nails everyone rushed to confirm that indeed her Vegan diet was the cause and she really should eat some meat as soon as possible.

Needless to say ..no one thought to look over at me an eight year Vegan munching on a perfectly balanced lunch, ruddy cheeked and healthy and bothered to join the dots!!!:mad:

ex-vegan stories used to really scare me, but they don't nearly as much. It does make me worry what could happen if I don't make sure to eat right, though.
it is funny when they say stuff like they REALLY needed cow's milk back in their diet. [emoji38]
Cowcium only comes from cows, right?

Last edited: