Egg substitute for brownie mix?

Aaron

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I've purchased some chocolate brownie mix but it says add eggs. What is the best substitute for flavour and texture? I've considerd oil, apple sauce and flax seeds.

W

winter.frost

For a chocolate brownie mix, because I would want to make a moist kind of a brownie, I would use a mixture of baking powder with soy yoghurt. If you don't have yoghurt, then I'd use baking powder and oil (preferably coconut). :)

Sally

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Apparently three tablespoons of the water in a can of chickpeas, whisked up, equals one egg in baking. Haven't tried it myself.

Daya

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Flexitarian
I just found this

but honestly I have no experience with vegan baking yet. From what I heard on youtube people just tend to use oil instead of eggs.

• 👍
Reactions: Aaron
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I've used egg replacement powder from Holland and Barrett. It also seemed to work fine using just water, in my experience. I have a video of using the egg powder with a boxed cake mix here:

• 👍
Reactions: Aaron
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I just found this

but honestly I have no experience with vegan baking yet. From what I heard on youtube people just tend to use oil instead of eggs.
I have forever been skeptical of the flax egg and I recently tried it, I made quinoa kale bytes and it worked quite well. I would say ground flax is your best bet but consider the moisture you are losing so add a little apple sauce.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Try making 'Flegg'. Simply mix 1 tbsp. ground flax meal with 3 tbsp. of water. Beat it together well and this portion functions as the replacement for 1 egg in recipes. Good luck!

GraceAmelia

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan Newbie
Hey guys! I use ground chia in my banana bread recipe and find it works really well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Connie

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I've used the chickpea water (or any bean water for that matter) also known as aquafaba, as an egg replacer and it works really well but at the end of the day all an egg is doing is acting as a binding agent so anything that does that will usually work! I don't use pre-made mixes myself, so can only really comment on what works in standard recipes though.