US Dollar Tree stores

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Okay, so a Dollar Tree apparently opened up in Culver City, CA. It's not near me, but about 30-45 minutes from me, so it's close enough that I might want to drive over there and check it out sometime soon. I saw it on my way to Target Thursday afternoon.

I vaguely recall mention of Dollar Tree on VB, but I didn't pay any attention, LOL. Now that I'm interested in visiting this store, I was hoping those of you who have shopped there can tell me what it's like. What do you find there that you like? What kinds of deals have you found there? Is it like the 99 Cents Only stores?

And most importantly: Do they take coupons? :p

Okay, so a Dollar Tree apparently opened up in Culver City, CA. It's not near me, but about 30-45 minutes from me, so it's close enough that I might want to drive over there and check it out sometime soon. I saw it on my way to Target Thursday afternoon.

I vaguely recall mention of Dollar Tree on VB, but I didn't pay any attention, LOL. Now that I'm interested in visiting this store, I was hoping those of you who have shopped there can tell me what it's like. What do you find there that you like? What kinds of deals have you found there? Is it like the 99 Cents Only stores?

And most importantly: Do they take coupons? :p

Dollar Tree is like heaven! And yes they take coupons! But I will warn you that the coupon taking is new and it's a bit of a hassle at times. It's a time consuming process due to their lack of modern technology and their fierce coupon rules. They thoroughly inspect every single coupon and item that you pair it with.

There are so many goodies at the Dollar Tree! Plus most locations of coolers or a frozen food section which sells an assortment of frozen veggies and fruits. Other stuff like Super Pretzels, sorbet, ice pops, etc. are accidently vegan. They usually stock West Soy Soy milk, Luna bars, Cliff bars, dried nuts, fruits, candy, and usual snacky foods. Some name brands and some store brands.

Spices are good too and some come in really large containers. Their condiments and canned goods aren't too shabby either.

Their cooking utensils are hit or miss. I've gone through numerous can openers I've bought there, but I've had other utensils from there that have lasted me years.

Their health and beauty products and their medicine products are decent also. Again with some being name brands and others being store brands.

I shop their every week and NEVER leave empty handed. They have such cute stuff that it's impossible not to buy something. Everything from greeting cards to dishes and even dvds! It's also a great place to buy stuff to decorate your home with.

You should definitely check it out. You could view their ad here: http://www.dollartree.com/home.jsp

Best dollar store I've ever been in. They even have a pet section, a tool section, toys, great gift bag/ bow type stuff too. Kitchen stuff, even dollar books and calendars. I make bento lunches, and I found a bento box there once, and often get little things for the bento (dividers and tiny sauce containers, etc.) You will have fun. :D

As far as food goes, mine has one aisle of nonperishables, nothing else. But you have to remember that I live in a rural area.

I buy stuff to make toys for my birds, socks, mugs, etc.

One complaint I have is that, in order to keep everything at $1, they reduce the size/quality over time.

Other than stuff that is by its nature disposable, I avoid buying stuff that will have to be replaced in short order - that fills up the landfills. Better, IMO, to buy a version that will last for years.

I like it for a few small things that are more expensive in other stores, but I wouldn't make a special 30-45 trip there unless I had other shopping to do in the area. I like it better than the 99 cent only stores, but it is a lot smaller and as mentioned above, their packages tend to be smaller than normal. Sometimes you can find interesting food items you won't find in other places, but I am sometimes nervous about buying them. It's great if you need party supplies like paper plates and napkins.

The ones here don't have much in terms of food either. Mostly cheap, China-made, plastic crap. You are in a bigger city and will probably have more luck. Just watch that any food you buy isn't more cheap, China-made crap because dollar stores are known for that. There was a toothpaste recall from one of them because it contained melamine.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I bought a pair of sunglasses there for $1. I still have them, they've outlasted others that cost much more. I go there looking for specific items. I don't always find what I'm looking for; the ones they don't have I'll buy elsewhere but I like to check there first. If I don't have specific things in mind then I tend just to buy a bunch of stuff because, ya know, it's just a buck.

Reactions: thefadedone
I bought a garlic press from the Dollar Tree the other day. Sadly, I must report that it SUCKS. I'm pretty disappointed. I have quite a few kitchen utensils that I have purchased from there that have held up considerably well and are good quality (with the exception of can openers), but this is useless.

I bought a garlic press from the Dollar Tree the other day. Sadly, I must report that it SUCKS. I'm pretty disappointed. I have quite a few kitchen utensils that I have purchased from there that have held up considerably well and are good quality (with the exception of can openers), but this is useless.
I tried the can opener, too. :p I like the wooden utensils they have, though.

I bought a bunch of food for the new house. There is a Whole Foods way too close to home for my wallet's comfort.

Thought this was the what did you buy thread, oh well. :)

There is a Dollar Tree right next to the supermarket I like to frequent so very convenient. I don't get the food there or toothpaste because of that recall but I have bought cleaning supplies, garbage bags etc. Also good for little gifts for kids for really cheap. I usually get Easter stuff and stocking stuffers there. I found some "accidently" vegan hair products also. I don't know if it is worth driving that far though.....

I'd definitely go if you have other shopping to do in the area. When I was in Georgia my dollar tree was that far away, but everything was, as I lived in the middle of no where haha. I'd stop there after work a lot:
-noodles
-pasta sauce
-tortillas
-pizza crusts
-crackers and other snacks
-frozen pretzels
-I bought the frozen veggies a few times but always regretted it
-craft stuff
-greeting cards
-little gifts for my nephew
-mugs! Mugs! Mugs!
-wall decals (I see this resold on eBay for $10 ALL THE TIME)
-I also see their totes and phone cases resold on eBay (the cases are cute, but don't offer much protection. I've only ever seen iPhone cases.)
-little hampers and such
-dishes and towels
-books
-accidentally vegan food and body care products
They get different things in a lot. One time they had bags of socks for $1. I was nervous so I only got one pack. They were actually nice, but then I never seen them there again. So sometimes it's a hit or miss by what goodies you'll find.

^Why did you regret buying the frozen veggies? I frequently buy them. As well as frozen fruits for smoothies.

Many dollar tree stores sell Westsoy soy milk cartons. You can find a printable $1 off coupon here: http://www.westsoymilk.com/coupons/ which will make it totally free! It's not the best soy milk out there, but it's good for cooking and baking.

I always buy this brand of soya milk and you can also find it in other $ shops.

I've always found them to be really bad quality, or freezer burnt, etc.

That might depend on the store. It might be worth it for a first time DT shopper such as myself to buy at least one frozen item to try. If it's disappointing, it can be crossed off the list. That applies to pretty much any food item, I guess.

When I was discussing my experiences shopping in the 99c Only Stores (I think that was back on VB), I posted a warning: Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. I think that applies to all discount stores, whether 99c, DT, or anything else. It's cheap stuff. You never know where this crap comes from. :p

That might depend on the store. It might be worth it for a first time DT shopper such as myself to buy at least one frozen item to try. If it's disappointing, it can be crossed off the list. That applies to pretty much any food item, I guess.

When I was discussing my experiences shopping in the 99c Only Stores (I think that was back on VB), I posted a warning: Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. I think that applies to all discount stores, whether 99c, DT, or anything else. It's cheap stuff. You never know where this crap comes from. :p

:yes: Not only do you take your chances buying something that might be sucky, but the times that you find a product that you love they seem to stop selling it. Their inventory changes so frequently and is often inconsistent.

Reactions: RascalsMom
I noticed that my local stores are now carrying shelf stable containers of Silk along with their usual Westsoy soy milk. I've also found some Alexia products there as well . www.alexiafoods.com