US Dollar Tree stores

So a friend of mine sent me several links to YouTube videos extolling the virtues of cheap vegan food at Dollar Tree stores. There was even a video done by a person who ate for seven days on $20 total, which was fairly impressive. The meals weren't bad, either. Lots of rice and beans and frozen veggies, but it was all things I would eat.

I think I will try to get some basics there, and I really should consider frozen fruits. Fresh can be so expensive, even when in season at times. I am looking for more ways to save money, as the house I am buying will need a new roof in the next couple of years, so that fund will need a lot of money quickly. I really want to buckle down and cut where I can. There is a Dollar Tree two miles from the house I'm buying. It's in a nice big plaza with lots of different stores, including an amazing vegan candy shop. :)

I get frozen fruit and some other frozen products at the Dollar Tree quite often. They have some vegetarian spring rolls that are pretty tasty. There is a Dollar Tree only a few blocks from us.

I get frozen fruit and some other frozen products at the Dollar Tree quite often. They have some vegetarian spring rolls that are pretty tasty. There is a Dollar Tree only a few blocks from us.
Yes, those spring rolls were featured in several of the videos. I love those things, so I will definitely try them.

Reactions: Poppy
Yes, those spring rolls were featured in several of the videos. I love those things, so I will definitely try them.
We have a Dollar Tree here... they recently (in the last couple years) added a frozen food section. I haven't been there in many months & I'm not sure I'd trust spring rolls (or any food product) from a place where everything is $1... maybe they didn't make the cut elsewhere, or were thawed & refrozen....

You go first. :p LOL

I have some nice ceramic soup bowls from the dollar tree. I even made some hacked spice racks from wire baking racks I bent up and screwed to the side of a cabinet.
Their food though? It's all small packages so not worth more than a buck. They have Just Mayo- but in the real small squeeze container, so again no bargain. Maybe mine is like you guys Aldi
@MadamSarcastra - You should try that bottle of Just Mayo, I know you don't like mayo, but it's different adding some to things

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
I must say, their knock off shampoos, soaps and lotions mostly have no animal testing labels and are from Canada. My co worker uses a hand creme I like from there-Dermasil or something in a tube
How big are the frozen fruits-I remember them as like 6 oz

The packages are small that is true. I think the frozen fruits and veggies are "regular" size though, maybe 10-12 oz. I find hair products and moisturizing cremes there also that as you said are not animal tested. I do not think anything they sell is "dangerous" though sometimes the small sizes make them no bargain.

The smaller packages might actually work in my favor, especially for the frozen fruit. I think they would be great in smoothies and whatnot. I am thinking canned goods and dried beans might be good to get there if they are the same size as the ones found in grocery stores.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

I just remember I got my toothpaste there! And it gets good reviews on amazon selling for $6.25, but most buy it from dollar tree!
51a3MqaEBwL.jpg

I don't really have sensitive teeth, but after my dentist critized all toothpastes with baking soda I stopped using Trader Joes

Last edited:
I remember hearing on the evening news that dry cereal is a good buy from dollar stores. You have to check the dates, though, and I'm not sure about the vegan-ness of dry cereal because of the D 3 issue.

We have a Dollar Tree here... they recently (in the last couple years) added a frozen food section. I haven't been there in many months & I'm not sure I'd trust spring rolls (or any food product) from a place where everything is $1... maybe they didn't make the cut elsewhere, or were thawed & refrozen....

You go first. :p LOL
It took awhile before I felt safe trying them, but they are good. I love the samosas.

Thyme seeds? I've never heard of thyme "seeds" used? Fenugreek seeds maybe...

So I stopped at the dollar tree to get the spring rolls. They are pretty tasty! They are actually better than the ones I get from China Pan! I also got frozen blueberries, tortilla chips and veggie chips. The snack bags are small, but if I were to buy 3, that would equal the big bag, and it's still cheaper than the grocery store. This is going to be good. I got a lot for 6 bucks!

Reactions: ledboots
Never knew dollar Tree has had freezer sections.
The ones I go to are basic stuff.
We like to go for holiday stuff and mugs
It's not a very big section, but it has several things that are vegan/vegetarian. I was quite pleased.