Do you take any vitamins?

You are truly cherry picking, and stretching pretty far to make your point!
Kinda like saying yogurt or oatmeal are bad for you because some contain dairy and/or sugar, while yogurt or oats alone are very different foods, and very healthy 🙄

You are truly cherry picking, and stretching pretty far to make your point!
Kinda like saying yogurt or oatmeal are bad for you because some contain dairy and/or sugar, while yogurt or oats alone are very different foods, and very healthy 🙄
Maybe you are cherry picking, because you haven't read all the links posted i.e. the effects and substances mentioned are in cocoa.

BTW it also contain oxalates.

There is mention about cadmium and lead, these are usually regulated but it is not bad for people to check the status in their country.

Also, the alkalization process some types undergo remove a good deal of nutrients. These are all things one can easily find by googling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anonymous1502
I use a teaspoon of cocoa in chocolate milk in the evening.

A lot of healthy food contains oxalates

Foods high in oxalate (100–900 mg per serving) include:

Reactions: Anonymous1502

It is all a matter of cost-benefit that one has to figure for himself. In fact had erased the mention to oxalates from the original post and only reinserted because of your mention.

This was not meant to turn into a crusade against cocoa just a caution against overconsumption and in the original post it was more caffeine, theobromine, and cadmium that were the target.

There are other issues that have been raised against cocoa, not dietary though.

Last edited:
Ok, so don't feed animals cocoa, buy fair trade, organic, and limit/avoid if you have kidney problems 🙄

Side Effects & Safety

When taken by mouth: Eating cocoa is LIKELY SAFE for most people. But keep in mind that cocoa contains caffeine and related chemicals. Eating large amounts might cause caffeine-related side effects such as nervousness, increased urination, sleeplessness, and a fast heartbeat.

Cocoa can cause allergic skin reactions, constipation, and might trigger migraine headaches. It can also cause digestive complaints including nausea, intestinal discomfort, stomach rumbling, and gas.

When applied to the skin: Applying cocoa butter to the skin is also LIKELY SAFE for most people. It can, however, cause a rash.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Cocoa is POSSIBLY SAFE in pregnancy and during breast-feeding when used in moderate amounts or in amounts commonly found in foods. But be sure to monitor your intake.

Consuming cocoa in larger amounts during pregnancy is POSSIBLY UNSAFE because of the caffeine it contains. Caffeine found in cocoa crosses the placenta. Although controversial, some evidence suggests that high doses of caffeine during pregnancy might be associated with premature delivery, low birth weight, and miscarriage. Some experts advise keeping caffeine consumption below 300 mg per day during pregnancy. Keep in mind that chocolate products provide 2-35 mg caffeine per serving, and a cup of hot chocolate provides approximately 10 mg. So these products probably aren't a big concern. But unsweetened, dry cocoa powder can contain up to about 200 mg of caffeine per cup

Caffeine is also a concern during breast-feeding. Breast milk concentrations of caffeine are thought to be approximately half the level of caffeine in the mother's blood. If the mother eats too much chocolate (16 oz per day), the nursing infant may become irritable and have frequent bowel movements because of the caffeine.

Anxiety: There is a concern that the caffeine in large amounts of cocoa might make anxiety disorders worse.

Bleeding disorders: Cocoa can slow blood clotting. Consuming a lot of cocoa might increase the risk of bleeding and bruising in people with bleeding disorders.

Heart conditions: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might cause irregular heartbeat in some people and should be used cautiously in people with heart conditions.

Diabetes: Cocoa seems to be able to raise blood sugar levels and might interfere with blood sugar control in people with diabetes.

Diarrhea. Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea.

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Cocoa seems to hinder the effectiveness of the valve in the food tube (esophagus) that keeps the contents of the stomach from coming back into the food tube or the airway. This could make the symptoms of GERD worse.

Glaucoma: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa increases pressure in the eye and should be used cautiously in people with glaucoma.

High blood pressure: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might increase blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. However, for people who already consume a lot of caffeine, it might not cause a big increase.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea and might worsen symptoms of IBS.

Migraine headaches: Cocoa might trigger migraines in sensitive people.

Weak bones (osteoporosis): Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might increase how much calcium is released in the urine. People with osteoporosis should limit their intake of cocoa.

Surgery: Cocoa might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgical procedures. Stop eating cocoa at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Rapid, irregular heartbeat (tachyarrhythmia): Cocoa from dark chocolate can increase heart rate. Cocoa products might also make irregular heartbeat worse.

Cocoa: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

Yes, b12, vitamin d and the vegan society multivitamin. I occasionally have to take prescribed iron tablets but that isn't vegan related.

I recommend Wellness products, in addition to being vegan, they have high-quality ingredients, they have a very good effect on the well-being and the body from the inside. I have been using it for a while and I am really satisfied :)

I take a vegan multi. Occasionally I take a day without because I worry about the iron content being too high for me. I haven't had any bad symptoms but I'm a very cautious person. The other difficulty is it contains 100% RDA iodine and it is hard to find salt in the shops that isn't iodized.

I take supplemets like vitamin D3, iron and viramic C,Omega 3 etc etc

I take iron and b12 supplements but I am thinking of starting to take other ones also e.g. magnesium and calcium as I am worried that I am perhaps not managing to get sufficient amount of vitamins from my diet alone. I feel very low in energy and tired so I don't know whether this has anything to do with my diet not delivering enough nutrients or whether it is stress related. I had a blood test done so I am currently waiting for results.
You should eat some oats, it's a complete source. Meaning you'll get everything per 100g. I would recommend 200g per day. calcium isn't a problem as long as you intake 1 cup of vegetables.