Do you take any vitamins?

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I take iron and b12 supplements but I am thinking of starting to take other ones also e.g. magnesium and calcium as I am worried that I am perhaps not managing to get sufficient amount of vitamins from my diet alone. I feel very low in energy and tired so I don't know whether this has anything to do with my diet not delivering enough nutrients or whether it is stress related. I had a blood test done so I am currently waiting for results.

Reactions: Sproutskies
I take iron and b12 supplements but I am thinking of starting to take other ones also e.g. magnesium and calcium as I am worried that I am perhaps not managing to get sufficient amount of vitamins from my diet alone. I feel very low in energy and tired so I don't know whether this has anything to do with my diet not delivering enough nutrients or whether it is stress related. I had a blood test done so I am currently waiting for results.
How long have you been following a vegan diet?

B12 is in a lot of vegetarian/vegan food in abundance, even cows milk here has B12, but has some tablets. I sometimes take a good multi vitamin/mineral tab, D3, Probiotic, Cal/Mag, Creatine.

After Hot Yoga get some sodium, potassium from food. After a workout have a protein shake plus creatine. I juice - celery, carrots, beet, apple and ginger and use this in a smoothie witch I add green lettuce, ground flax, ground chia, peanut and almond butter, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

You don't want to be on a low carb diet, eat lots of sweet potatoes and bananas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anonymous,

The Vegan Society UK sells very inexpensive vegan multivitamins. They are chewable, and they are available in 2 fruit flavors: VEG 1 Vegan Supplements

Calcium-fortified plant milks (soy milk, oak milk, almond milk, hemp milk, etc.) are available at Tesco: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=dairy free milk

Tiredness can be caused by simply not eating enough calories. Do you eat 3 meals per day? A diet that is too focused on fruits and green vegetables can be too low in calories. Is approximately half of your food comprised of pulses and grains? Do you include nuts, nut butters, or seeds in your diet?

Reactions: ZoeLouLou
I take a centrum silver, an ALA omega 3, a DHA/EPA omega 3, and magnesium.
The Centrum is pretty comprehensive. I normally would prefer something more minimalistic and may someday go back to that. But i see multis as just cheap insurance against deficiencies.

After months of tracking my nutrients in CronOmeter, I saw that I was constantly short in Magnesium and Potassium*. But Potassium can be tricky. It can be toxic. My magnesium supp was recommended by my RD.
And according to Cronometer, I am good everywhere else.

We get a lot of questions and comments like yours and it seems like most of the time the OP has not eaten enough calories.

My advice to you - and to everyone else is to try keeping a food log in Cronometer for at least a week. And see what it can tell you.

It may overestimate your B12 because your body can only absorb 25% to 33% of the RDA per meal unless you take mega doses. but if you spread out your B12 - over the course of the day you should be fine. I drink 2 - 4 glasses of soy milk a day

Also, Cronometer will overestimate your iron. Non-hemo iron is not as bioavailable. but as long as CronOmeter says you are getting around 200% you should be fine. Taking an iron supp on top of a good diet is usually not required. If you do take an iron supp take it with OJ - not with coffee. And if your stools turn rock hard and black - you are taking too much.

Please let us know your results, and if you have any chronometer related questions - I'm your man.

B12 is in a lot of vegetarian/vegan food in abundance, even cows milk here has B12, but has some tablets. I sometimes take a good multi vitamin/mineral tab, D3, Fish oil soft gels, Probiotic, Cal/Mag, Creatine.

After Hot Yoga get some sodium, potassium from food. After a workout have a protein shake plus creatine. I juice - celery, carrots, beet, apple and ginger and use this in a smoothie witch I add green lettuce, ground flax, ground chia, peanut and almond butter, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

You don't want to be on a low carb diet, eat lots of sweet potatoes and bananas.
I don't do hot yoga I do cycle though. What foods are rich in potassium and magnesium? I am definitely not on a low carb diet :) I don't have a blender so I can't make smoothies.

A single, medium potato has a remarkable 941 milligrams of potassium, which equals 20 percent of the daily recommended intake -- about double that of a banana.

Chocolate is a great source of magnesium, offering about 226 mg of magnesium per 100 grams or one small chocolate bar. Dark chocolate also provides iron, antioxidants, manganese, copper, and prebiotic fiber, nutrients good for the gut and heart.
I drink chocolate milk in the evening and add plain cocoa to it, first add a little hot water to the cocoa powder, then top up the mug with choc milk (or choc soy bev) and microwave for about 65 secs.

Reactions: Anonymous1502
I take a centrum silver, an ALA omega 3, a DHA/EPA omega 3, and magnesium.
The Centrum is pretty comprehensive. I normally would prefer something more minimalistic and may someday go back to that. But i see multis as just cheap insurance against deficiencies.

After months of tracking my nutrients in CronOmeter, I saw that I was constantly short in Magnesium and Potassium*. But Potassium can be tricky. It can be toxic. My magnesium supp was recommended by my RD.
And according to Cronometer, I am good everywhere else.

We get a lot of questions and comments like yours and it seems like most of the time the OP has not eaten enough calories.

My advice to you - and to everyone else is to try keeping a food log in Cronometer for at least a week. And see what it can tell you.

It may overestimate your B12 because your body can only absorb 25% to 33% of the RDA per meal unless you take mega doses. but if you spread out your B12 - over the course of the day you should be fine. I drink 2 - 4 glasses of soy milk a day

Also, Cronometer will overestimate your iron. Non-hemo iron is not as bioavailable. but as long as CronOmeter says you are getting around 200% you should be fine. Taking an iron supp on top of a good diet is usually not required. If you do take an iron supp take it with OJ - not with coffee. And if your stools turn rock hard and black - you are taking too much.

Please let us know your results, and if you have any chronometer related questions - I'm your man.
I have a lot of nosebleeds (each week atleast once). They are very strong too. so I do worry about my iron. I had blood work done and I will see a doctor about it my appointment is in 2 weeks. I take iron supplement to make sure it is ok. My stool is an ok colour.

I have a lot of nosebleeds (each week atleast once). They are very strong too. so I do worry about my iron. I had blood work done and I will see a doctor about it my appointment is in 2 weeks. I take iron supplement to make sure it is ok. My stool is an ok colour.
Maybe you should see a dietitian oriented to veganism. You are very young and still in growing phase. It can be a lot of things. Imagine you are not getting all essential amino acids in enough quantity for instance.

BTW please research the dangers of supplements. B12 supplements and in some cases vitamin D are the only mandatory in a vegan diet. The rest should be available in a proper diet.

Last edited:
You should have mentioned initially that you had an existing health problem!

Please make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian - they can evaluate your diet, and determine what may be missing. They are also experts at providing easy ways to fix any nutrient deficiencies. Your physician can refer you to a Registered Dietitian.

I used to get a lot of nose bleeds too. I finally saw an ENT about them and he cauterized something in my nostril. I still get a few a year but I used to get a few a month.

Try buying a nasal saline spray. they are at all drug stores and are cheap. My ENT recommended them to me. Use it twice a day. Set it next to your toothbrush or something. If it helps you can buy one that is refillable and make the saline solution yourself. then it's even cheaper.

Here are some other good suggestions. Don't try them all at once. try the nasal spray and if it doesn't solve the problem try the next one down.

I take 2000 mcg of cyanocobalimin once a week (actually a bit more as it's a liquid)
250 mg of combined DHA/EPA from algae supplements
5000 D3 (not vegan though) because I've chronically tested low, despite sunlight, and D2

Please provide a link to a reputable source that supports your claim.

There is far too much misinformation available through Google. That's why fact-checking is so important.
If you read the article you posted to the end you see it agrees at least with part of what I wrote.
For the other part:

The dark truth about chocolate

Cocoa: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...33aeec-e6e0-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html

Last edited: