• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

~Wonder

Forum Novice
Reaction score
A couple friends of mine said that my like of Red Delicious apples is crazy. I think their brains are rotten. How about you? Do you like Red Delicious apples?

Your friends are right.

And probably very beautiful and smart, judging from their excellent taste in apples. :yes:

I don't like them generally. Most of the time, they don't have decent flavor or firmness. They are often mealy and just disappointing overall.

I prefer apples that are more tart, such as Fuji and Gala. However, given a choice between a Red Delicious and nothing, or a Red Delicious and, say, a pear which I don't like as much as I like apples, I'll eat the Red Delicious. It's just not one of my favorite apple varieties.

Yep and Golden Delicious. I like them all as long as they aren't flavorless and disappointing.
I have to say, most of the fruit I've had over the last five years or so has been flavorless and disappointing. My consumption of fresh fruit has dwindled considerably because of this. It's also why I don't understand how people can have fruit as a snack. I'd be willing to do that if the fruit were sweet. :(

I have to say, most of the fruit I've had over the last five years or so has been flavorless and disappointing. My consumption of fresh fruit has dwindled considerably because of this. It's also why I don't understand how people can have fruit as a snack. I'd be willing to do that if the fruit were sweet. :(

I think it depends on what you buy and when (buying fruit in or out of season, for example) and the source of the fruit. I've had watermelon bought from a Mexican market (not by me but by a coworker) at the height of watermelon season that was better than any other watermelon I've ever had. I've had wonderful fruit from the farmer's market, also bought in season, as is usual for farmer's market produce. I've had surprisingly better blueberries from the mainstream supermarket than from the health food store, both bought during blueberry season. Unfortunately, one is forced these days to search different sources to find decent fruit, instead of relying only on the local mainstream supermarket for all one's produce. And yes, the season matters. My dad LOVED summer fruits, and my mom would indulge him by buying summer fruits out of season, which were terrible. My dad never complained, but everyone else did. :p

I'm with you KLS!

One place I visit has a wild apple tree, a late fruiting variety, and I once ate an orange straight off the tree in Spain.
Knowing what fruit is meant to taste to like means knowing that the stuff you can buy in shops tastes like .. errr ... well, like this ..:shtf:

Talking of the Spanish ...

I read an article bemoaning the flavourlessness of Spanish tomatoes a while back.

According to that article flavour is 'desirable quality' #39 on the Spanish Tomato Marketing Board's 'desirable qualities of a tomato' list.

'Desirable quality' #38 is probably that tomatoes shouldn't look too much like Francisco Franco would be my best guess.

Reactions: Amy SF
I can't stand them.

My favourite apple is a cox.

I also like the Pink Lady variety.

article-1180218-04E2DA08000005DC-686_468x376.jpg

Granny Smith is one of my favorite varieties. I am lucky to live near a couple of apple orchards, so I get great apples in season. I rarely eat them after December, though, unless I mix them in a recipe or something. Right now, I am into citrus such as oranges and grapefruit, which I believe have been coming from Florida. I eat a lot of bananas, though, all year. Not very locavore-minded, I know, but I use them so much in smoothies, breads and other recipes, aside from just eating them for a snack.

I don't understand how people find fruit filling. I can snack on an apple or a different piece of fruit or even a big bowl of fruit and not be full.
By itself, it's not very filling, but it does take the edge off when I'm really ravenous (like on the way home from work). Bananas are filling, but when I pair them with protein (peanut or almond butter, for instance), they become breakfast. But then again, I don't eat much for breakfast most days, as I'm not usually hungry when I get up. I love fruit so much, though. I have to limit it because sometimes I get a stomach ache if I eat too much in a day. Two to three servings max for me.

I love fruit in melon form. I could eat that all day long.

Reactions: PTree15