Do Chia seeds need to be soaked?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So that the body can absorb all the nutrients from chia seeds, they should be shredded/chopped before consumption. Is it also necessary to shred the chia seeds although they are / will be soaked? Or do they have to be shredderd always before consumption? No matter whether soaked or not.

I put my chia seeds in a pestle and mortar and grind them for a few minutes before putting them in my oatmeal which is still watery when they go it and so they have time to absorb as much moisture as they like. It is not advised to eat chia seeds dry as they can be a choking hazard and I don't know why anyone would want to anyways.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
I only have a few recipes that call for chia seeds.
None of them actually call for the seeds to be soaked.

the OO one, I guess the soaking is done with the oats.
I use chia seeds in overnight oats and chia pudding. In both cases, the seeds absorb the liquid, so it works out well. I tried them in a smoothie, but I didn't like the crunch.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Oops, very sorry, I was just wondering about the answers, many thanks, and then I saw obviously someone just changed the title of the thread. Very sorry about that. So actually I didn't want to know if chia must be soaked, thank you for the confirmation anyway, I had read about the danger.

I wanted to know if soaking alone (without shredding / chopping them) would be enough to get all of the nutrients, because:
So that the body can absorb all the nutrients from chia seeds, they should be shredded/chopped before consumption. Is it also necessary to shred the chia seeds although they are / will be soaked? So are all the nutrients for the body also provided through soaking alone? Or can the body only use all the nutrients when the chia seeds are shredded?

I put my chia seeds in a pestle and mortar and grind them for a few minutes before putting them in my oatmeal which is still watery when they go it and so they have time to absorb as much moisture as they like.
Grinding because of the consistency / texture or / and the nutrients?

None of them actually call for the seeds to be soaked.
Many thanks for the recipes. I guess, it is because there is enough liquid in the recipes so the chia is soaked anyway.

I've also seen recipes to just sprinkle the seeds as a topping, I won't do it though.
Thank you for the link. Yes, on that page from the link it says: "Sprinkle a few teaspoons into breakfast cereal (hot or cold) salads, soups, or stews." I can't imagine that soaked chia seeds tasted good on / in salads. Or they wouldn't be soaked but would then be dangerous?

yes, ground for the nutrients, the consistency is the same ground or not and I do use them in recipes as an egg replacement, always ground and with lots of moisture - next time I need a three egg replacement I will do one tablespoon ground chia seeds and 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 9 tablespoons of water, sit for a bit and then add to the recipe ( I used 3 tablespoons last time and it was too much chia)

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
I had completely forgotten about chia jam! I would make that when I ate well, just whole chia seeds in pureed fruit. I would cook down strawberries with a date and puree,, then add chia seeds while still warm, then pour in a jar and chill. I tried that with ground seeds and the texture was disgusting. Whole was jam like, ground was slimy and goopy

sit for a bit and then add to the recipe
For how long? So adding the chia (with the liquid) to the recipe without sitting before does not work, they would not swell up (in the dough)?

I tried that with ground seeds and the texture was disgusting. Whole was jam like, ground was slimy and goopy
Oops! I assume (and hope) using chia as an egg replacement there will be no disgustingness, I assume, within the dough the texture will be like usual dough. And I want to try a chia pudding (from what I read, it should taste very good), so with a mixing ratio of 1 part chia to 3 or 4 parts of water. And some sweetener, dates or maple syrup or Erythrit.

For how long? So adding the chia (with the liquid) to the recipe without sitting before does not work, they would not swell up (in the dough)?

I let them sit for 5-10 minutes while I mix my dry ingredients etc - the ratio of at least 3 to 1 is important.

Emma JC