Do you need to wash packaged sesame seeds?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Do you need to wash packaged sesame seeds? In the same way, how one should wash buckwheat?

Or is that not necessary at all, does sesam come already clean?

I do rinse grains well, but never small seeds like that!
Now I feel I need to look up whether they get sprayed with glysophate-- like conventional oats :unamused:

Can't find anything about sesame.
This is helpful--

I do worry that you're obsessing too much. When your concerns take over too much of your mind it can be more problematic than healthy

I can't imagine washing seeds.... they would just all clump together, no?
Yes, a little bit, not too much. But if one mixes them with others it actually does not matter, I would think.

Now I'm picturing little tiny clothes pins.
To hang the sesame seeds on a line?

I do rinse grains well, but never small seeds like that!
I am quite sure for example bulgur, buckwheat (Neither of which I would have thought/known) have to be washed, because of contamination / dust in the field, etc., if I remember correctly. It could also contain foreign bodies, such as stones. I had found informatione about that, but nothing about sesame.

Many thanks for the link. So washing those kinds of products seems to be a very good idea obviously. But what about sesame?

Maybe solely the (risk of) contamination of sesame from neighboring animal farms would be a reason for washing. I assume there is no process that cleans them when / after harvesting them.

I do worry that you're obsessing too much. When your concerns take over too much of your mind it can be more problematic than healthy
No, no, not too much...well, perhaps quite a little too much.

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Ah, I forgot, I did found information on sesam to be washed, but without a reason for that. And yes, after washing the sesame is heated, roasted there as well.

So it looks like washing sesame is a good idea as well. Or not? Unless you knew they came from the EU. But even then you wouldn't know whether they would be affected by neighboring fields / neighboring animal husbandry.

Reactions: Lou