Do cats prefer humans of the opposite sex?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Just something that struck me: All the cats with whom I've had good rapport are female cats. And when I was little, our family's male cat was the most attached to my mom.

Or is it just that male cats tend to be less attached to humans in general? More interested in fighting, defending territory etc? More "grumpy cat" than the females?

I always find male cats much more friendly, but maybe that is because I'm female.:D

The cats I have always formed the strongest bond with have been male, and the one girl cat I have ADORES my fiance. But they have always had female cats/dogs when he was growing up, so maybe that is part of it.

Hmm. I always thought male cats were more friendly. My male cat always wants to lay on my chest if I'm in bed.

in the wild I suppose the only time a cat makes physical contact with another cat is with a mate, or its young, or in a fight, so maybe they are more inclined towards the opposite sex for friendly contact.

Not something I can say I've noticed. I've had four cats, all female. Two were attached to me the most, one didn't really care for anyone in particular, and Pixel seems to like my fiancé more.

To answer the question: No. There is no proof of this. Cats bond strongly with whoever feeds them and gives them love and attention. I've had three female cats and one male cat in my life, and they all bonded strongly with me. I suspect that if I was male, there would be no difference in their level of attachment to me.

I always had a preference for male cats, believing them to be more loving and friendly. Thor was my animal soul mate. In the past, the females I had were almost always nasty or at least not interested in much human contact. I now still have Cybil who keeps to herself. Bratt and Ben are both males and very bonded to me and affectionate in their own way. And Joon (female) is the one who has changed my opinion of female cats. She is incredibly bonded to me, very needy and affectionate. She is amazing. And brilliant!

Reactions: Amy SF
To answer the question: No. There is no proof of this. Cats bond strongly with whoever feeds them and gives them love and attention. I've had three female cats and one male cat in my life, and they all bonded strongly with me. I suspect that if I was male, there would be no difference in their level of attachment to me.

Agreed, although I would say that love and attention trumps feeding.

Yes, clearly cats can bond well with humans of the same gender, but what if you lived with a man - would they still choose you over him?

Reactions: KLS52
Yes, clearly cats can bond well with humans of the same gender, but what if you lived with a man - would they still choose you over him?

The cats with whom I have lived in my lifetime (numbering in the dozens) have all preferred me to the various other members of the household, regardless of gender.

As a rule, neutered male cats are more generally affectionate, while female cats have a tendency to form intense attachments to one human.

The male cat I had loved me and me alone, intill an ex took the scratches and they became best friends. The cat went with the ex because of my housing difficulties. My female cat, who showed up on our doorstep last year, does seem to prefer my bf over me, but she is pretty social in general. She runs to the door to greet anyone who walks in.

Good point. I would say it depends on the cat. I have had two male cats who preferred my husband over me. They were still really good with me but had more of an attachment to him, even though I did everything related to their care.

My girl kitty has been mine since she was a few months old. When my now ex boyfriend and my now current fiance each entered the picture during her lifetime, she really seemed to take a shine to them, even though they werent involved in feeding her. I think honestly it may have something to do with the fact that she is six pounds, and although long-haired, she gets cold easily. They are both much warmer people than I am, and were FAR more likely to indulge her in the middle of winter when it was chilly and she wanted someone to hold up the covers on the bed (letting all the warm air out) while she stood there for whole mins to decide whether or not to go underneath.

Adding.
The new baby boy LOVES me. He much prefers me to my partner. He runs up to me and meows at me for attention. When bed cuddle time, he rubs up against my partner, but in my lap loving his belly rubbed.

Reactions: AeryFairy
I think that cats are attracted to the allergic humans. They always come over to me, even the shy ones. I sit out on a dock sometimes, and this big black cat often comes over purring and rubbing his chin on me. He has a collar so is tame, but hates my husband and son. Then I have to take a benadryl and a shower aaachooo.

Thor (boy) was my soul cat. He loved me (girl) the most. Joon (girl) is most attached to me (girl). Stella (girl) is most attached to me (girl) and the most cuddly of the five. Bratt (boy) is not super affectionate but if he is going to sit with anyone it will be me (girl). I'm just shooting any and all theories of generalizations to hell, haha.

Reactions: ledboots
Thor (boy) was my soul cat. He loved me (girl) the most. Joon (girl) is most attached to me (girl). Stella (girl) is most attached to me (girl) and the most cuddly of the five. Bratt (boy) is not super affectionate but if he is going to sit with anyone it will be me (girl). I'm just shooting any and all theories of generalizations to hell, haha.

You're the BEST KL.:D