Did the Nazis have a secret base in Antarctica?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I didn't have time to watch all of this yet, but the first half was very promising! And it involves UFOs too! Even if I don't believe it, I must admit there is something strangely fascinating about the topic. The fact that this video is a Russian conspiracy-themed documentary just makes it even better :)

A short introduction: At the beginning of 1947 the American explorer Richard Byrd leads yet another expedition to Antarctica, but this time it's different. The expedition is financed entirely by the US Navy (Operation High Jump) and consists of an aircraft carrier, 12 surface ships, one submarine, more than 20 airplanes and helicopters and about 5000 men, "a strange team for a scientific expedition". The expedition concentrates on Queen Maud's Land, which is a big part of the Antarctic mainland. The expedition is meant to last for 6 months, but is aborted after only 2 months. They lost a destroyer, almost half their carrier based aircraft, and dozens of sailors and officers. What had happened?

Shoggoths.
at-the-mountains-of-madness-book-cover.jpg

Though I must admit, that's a terrible rendering of an Elder Thing.

Having watched the entire program now, I have to disappoint you that there were no Shoggoths. There was also very little hard evidence to the claims of a Nazi base and what supposedly happened during Operation Highjump.

They did however show some interesting "UFO-like" technologies that the Nazis were supposedly developing, and at least some of that seems to be true, see e.g. Nazi UFOs on Wikipedia.