Health Issues Diabetes

New Drugs Make Diabetics Pee Out Excess Sugar
An abnormally high level of sugar in your urine has traditionally been a sign of uncontrolled diabetes and something to be corrected. But that notion has been turned on its head by a new class of diabetes drugs that work by increasing how much sugar patients pass in their urine.
http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/01/new-drug-makes-diabetics-pee-out-excess-sugar/

The diabetic nurse I saw last week talked about these new drugs.
It might help me lose a bit of weight, but I am worried about infections, amongst other things.

Hi, I am reading this thread on diabetics and drugs, I would really like to share with you a movie called "Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days", which is about diabetic patients on medication, and within a few weeks of just eating raw foods they can actually stop using their medication. My device is more exercise and more raw food and less manufactured food

Thanks, Marcela. Diet and activity are very much the key for some people. I, however, have a non-functional pancreas. Being vegetarian has given me much tighter control than ever before, but I would be dead without my insulin.

I am sorry to hear that, but you should really watch this movie "Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days", this is an amazing movie on raw foods related to diabetes. You can find the movie on the internet.

Again, it's a great plan for SOME T2 diabetics. A fully raw diet will not change the fact that my beta cells have been destroyed. It is a reminder that when it is truly a lifestyle disease, lifestyle changes help. However, not all of us are "fixable".

Reactions: kibbleforlola
Huge rise in UK diabetes cases threatens to bankrupt NHS, charity warns | Society | The Guardian

There are warnings that diabetes cases could bankrupt the NHS as cases in England and Wales have risen by 59.8% since 2005. That is pretty shocking. I worry I will get type 2 as one of my parents was diagnosed with type 2.

I also saw the that on the news this morning. More and more people are not leading a healthy lifestyle and are eating processed carbs and junk food.

I have the same worry as many of my family members (including my late father) have diabetes so I'm also worried. My cardiologist told me to lose weight as it is mainly the fat around the tummy that is dangerous.

I saw this this morning too & thought it was very shocking! We really need to focus on teaching people about healthy lifestyles from a young age. Not just diets either... Stupid low cal/low fat/no carb blah blah blah diets.

No diabetes in my family but I think we should all be aware of it anyway. I do like my sweet treats.

Here is a talk that offers a different, less judgmental, perspective on the link between weight and diabetes. I am not touting it as scientific fact so much as food for thought. I'd be interested to hear feedback from those living with the condition.

I just think, in a lot of cases(like me) that people don't have a very high quality of life, and they try to fill that absence with food.....or just comfort eating.
Sugar knocks on the door of the cell once too often, and the cell just doesn't respond so readily any more.