Health Issues Diabetes

Here's an article on B1 and diabetes; there are other articles if you google.
Apparently diabetics are deficient in B1, which leads to kidney damage and other damage, so taking B1 is supposed to correct that.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025192_vitamin_B1_thiamine.html
Diabetics have three-quarters less vitamin B1 in their blood than healthy people, research has shown.
A study by the University of Warwick has linked this shortfall, which occurs in sufferers with both type one and two of the disease, to damage to the kidneys, retina and nerves in the arms and legs that are all common symptoms of the disease.
Prof Paul Thornalley, from the university, said that vitamin supplements could be taken by all diabetics and would work alongside conventional glucose controls.
The study is published in Diabetologia, the diabetes journal. A LACK of vitamin B1 has been linked to vascular disease in diabetes sufferers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1559766/Diabetes-damage-linked-to-vitamin-B1-shortage.html
I restarted taking mega doses of B1 last year. Seems like a good idea.

(I'm Type 2)

Very interesting. I've got heatlhy kidneys, but would like to keep them that way for another 50 years. What kind of dosage do you take of B1?

I take a pill that has 4,500% RDA of B1....I break the pill in two and have one half in the morning, and one half in the evening.

B1 isn't absorbed very well, so I think it helps to take a lot.....Haven't noticed any bad effects so far.

I have read that benfotiamine is supposed to be absorbed better, but I couldn't get any in the UK.

I've got my first appointment with a new consultant next week, and I'm going to try as hard as I can to refer me for an insulin pump. Having exhausted other possibilities I can see it'll be the only way to control my morning BG levels, which are sky high due to the dawn phenomenon. I met with the nurse last week and she says I fulfil the main criteria of having completed the DAFNE course, so it's fingers crossed.

My fingers are crossed for you. Having the pump with CGM has enhanced the quality of my life in so many ways.

I've got my first appointment with a new consultant next week, and I'm going to try as hard as I can to refer me for an insulin pump. Having exhausted other possibilities I can see it'll be the only way to control my morning BG levels, which are sky high due to the dawn phenomenon. I met with the nurse last week and she says I fulfil the main criteria of having completed the DAFNE course, so it's fingers crossed.
Good luck, I hope you're approved! :)

Thanks! My doc said, "That's basically the non-diabetic range.". To which I replied that it is very hard work to stay in the non-diabetic range. He says that I'm tenacious. :)

Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
My mum was just diagnosed with type 2, which means I have a 1/3 chance of developing it. When/how often should I get tested? Straight away? I'm 23 years old.

It's gotta be said, my mum's dealing like a champion.

My mum was just diagnosed with type 2, which means I have a 1/3 chance of developing it. When/how often should I get tested? Straight away? I'm 23 years old.

It's gotta be said, my mum's dealing like a champion.
Sorry, aeryfairy. :(

The main things for you are your diet and exercise. Eating veg is fantastic for your pancreas, and diabetes avoidance. Try to eat a lot of fiber each day, which you probably usually do anyway eating veg. Aim for 50 Gms/day. Exercising your heart with cardio and keeping a normal weight are also good for prevention.

As far as testing, you are young, so that's a good thing. Next checkup, tell your doc about your mom and s/he will probably run blood tests on you, which is good because you'll have a baseline of your normal.

Since Type 2 is often a lifestyle disease, if your health lifestyle differs from your mom's, such as if she's an omni, or over weight, smoker, etc, your risk would be lower than the figure you quoted.

Your mum might be cranky for awhile as the changes in lifestyle are often tough on newly diagnosed diabetics. An extra hug here or there can only help. ;)

Thanks, that's really helpful :)

One of the first things I showed my mum was statistics on veg diets and controlling diabetes, and for once she actually listened to me! When I was home this week, she ate a reasonable amount of vegan meals which were low in sugar (we made vegan lasagne, risotto, and stir fry). A few months ago she never would have eaten those things.

Our lifestyles are very different, and I've been doing a lot recently to try and make healthier decisions (even before I found out about this). I guess I'm just going to have to keep it up, and time will tell if it works or not. I can also do my best to involve my mum in the healthy stuff - I make sure she drinks enough water when I'm around, and I'm trying to convince her she wants a dog. She is looking after two of her friend's dogs at the moment and she loves it, and it means she's getting out for daily walks which is good for her.