Preventing Diabetes

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
I got my recent health checkup/bloodwork results today. Thyroid, etc was normal- but my blood glucose level was a bit high: not "diabetic" yet, but considering that Type 2 Diabetes runs in my Dad's family, I'm not surprised.

For some time now, I've been making an effort to eat most of my food earlier in the day, when I'm active and will be using those calories, so that my blood sugar levels won't be spiking shortly before I go to sleep. Over the past few years I've been familiarizing myself about concepts such as Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, etc. I still have more learning to do about this- but this is the sort of thing I can understand and remember. On the other hand, I seem to have more of a "sweet tooth" now than I did as a child, and have sometimes raided the last-date-of-sale baked goods shelf at the local supermarket (granted, I've been putting them in the freezer- not eating them all at once). And I do tend to get hungry late in the day; that's the most difficult time for me to control my appetite.

But on the bright side: this will be an extra motivation to stick to a vegan diet more carefully, as these foods are what I tend to "cheat" on.

Last edited:
Here are a few other threads that touch on preventing or managing diabetes (but not a complete list):

Reactions: PTree15 and bEt
It runs in my family too. My brother was diagnosed pre-diabetic and someone else in my family was diagnosed diabetic just before Christmas. My brother did Dry January and is doing more exercise and eating a bit better. The doctor said yesterday that he has to wait a few months to get it checked again so he is just carrying on with what he is doing.

I want to get my HbA1c tested too as I haven't had it done since 2021. I'm trying to cut down on alcohol at the moment as I got a reminder text about getting my thyroid checked (I have hypothyroidism) and thought I should get that checked too.

I got my recent health checkup/bloodwork results today. Thyroid, etc was normal- but my blood glucose level was a bit high: not "diabetic" yet, but considering that Type 2 Diabetes runs in my Dad's family, I'm not surprised.

For some time now, I've been making an effort to eat most of my food earlier in the day, when I'm active and will be using those calories, so that my blood sugar levels won't be spiking shortly before I go to sleep.
I have read that it can be very different for different people for what causes blood sugar spikes. I know someone online who buys the tests to test her blood sugars as her mother had type 2 and got very ill.

I might ask my GP surgery for the diabetes test now while I remember.:)

It's great to hear that you're taking steps to manage your blood sugar levels and are using your recent health checkup as motivation to make positive changes to your diet. Here are some additional tips that may help:
  1. Increase your fiber intake: Eating more high-fiber foods can help slow down the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream, which can help regulate your blood sugar levels. Some good sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.
  2. Choose complex carbohydrates: Foods that are high in complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, quinoa, and sweet potatoes, can also help regulate blood sugar levels. These foods are digested more slowly than simple carbohydrates, which can cause blood sugar spikes.
  3. Limit your intake of sugary foods and drinks: This one might be tough since you mentioned having a sweet tooth, but limiting your intake of sugary foods and drinks can help keep your blood sugar levels in check. Try swapping out sugary snacks for healthier options like fruit, and choose water or unsweetened beverages instead of soda or juice.
  4. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can help improve insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake in your cells, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week.
  5. Consider working with a registered dietitian: A registered dietitian can help you develop a personalized eating plan that takes your blood sugar levels and overall health into account. They can also provide guidance on portion sizes, meal timing, and other factors that can impact your blood sugar levels.

It's great to hear that you're taking steps to manage your blood sugar levels and are using your recent health checkup as motivation to make positive changes to your diet. Here are some additional tips that may help:
  1. Increase your fiber intake: Eating more high-fiber foods can help slow down the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream, which can help regulate your blood sugar levels. Some good sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.
  2. Choose complex carbohydrates: Foods that are high in complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, quinoa, and sweet potatoes, can also help regulate blood sugar levels. These foods are digested more slowly than simple carbohydrates, which can cause blood sugar spikes.
  3. Limit your intake of sugary foods and drinks: This one might be tough since you mentioned having a sweet tooth, but limiting your intake of sugary foods and drinks can help keep your blood sugar levels in check. Try swapping out sugary snacks for healthier options like fruit, and choose water or unsweetened beverages instead of soda or juice.
  4. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can help improve insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake in your cells, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week.
  5. Consider working with a registered dietitian: A registered dietitian can help you develop a personalized eating plan that takes your blood sugar levels and overall health into account. They can also provide guidance on portion sizes, meal timing, and other factors that can impact your blood sugar levels.
About #2: for a long time, I thought that whole-wheat bread caused much less of a blood sugar spike than white bread. Then I read someplace that this is not true. Supposedly, what slows down carbohydrate absorption (from bread, at least) is high percentage of unground grain kernels, such as wheat or rye "berries", in the dough. I'd assume these would have to be soaked first, although perhaps you wouldn't have to pre-cook them. (I'd think that the "berries" in the crust would be VERY crunchy, to say the least!) I haven't tried this yet, although I've often kneaded rolled oats or rolled rye into my bread dough.

I'll have to look around for that reference and post a link here.

About #2: for a long time, I thought that whole-wheat bread caused much less of a blood sugar spike than white bread. Then I read someplace that this is not true.
try to do some more research. I'm pretty sure I've read that its the fiber in whole wheat bread. Don't know if there is a difference pertaining to insoluble vs soluble fiber. But if I had to guess it's the soluble fiber that might be more important in slowing digestion. And I think breads are usually higher in insoluble.

I've noticed that "seeded" bread always has a higher fiber content than otherwise similar bread. Just check out the nutrition info on bagels. The sesame seeded bagels seem to have the most fiber.

Rye bread seems to have the most fiber when comparing similar breads. Barley. bread too. Personally, I like the breads that use a little bit of everything - multi grain.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
About #2: for a long time, I thought that whole-wheat bread caused much less of a blood sugar spike than white bread. Then I read someplace that this is not true. Supposedly, what slows down carbohydrate absorption (from bread, at least) is high percentage of unground grain kernels, such as wheat or rye "berries", in the dough. I'd assume these would have to be soaked first, although perhaps you wouldn't have to pre-cook them. (I'd think that the "berries" in the crust would be VERY crunchy, to say the least!) I haven't tried this yet, although I've often kneaded rolled oats or rolled rye into my bread dough.

I'll have to look around for that reference and post a link here.

I follow a Greger group on FB and they completely avoid milled grains. Sprouted breads like Ezekial is favored

I eat a lot of bread and pasta almost every day. But mostly rye bread and the kind that has seeds in it.
I also eat a lot of veggies and fruit, so I'm hoping that all the bread and pasta I consume won't mess up my blood sugar levels too badly.
At one point I was very underweight and the doctor told me to eat more of everything I already eat, so that's what I did.
But everyone in my family is thin, so maybe I can't help it. I'd have to eat huge amounts of food if I wanted to get bigger. I do want that, but not maybe willing to put in the effort.
Also, I'd hate to get diabetes. It would suck ***.

Last edited by a moderator:
I eat a lot of bread and pasta almost every day. But mostly rye bread and the kind that has seeds in it.
I also eat a lot of veggies and fruit, so I'm hoping that all the bread and pasta I consume won't mess up my blood sugar levels too badly.
(I've only quote part of your post) I think that's how it works. Even if the bread/pasta itself has a rather high glycemic index, maybe the fiber in the vegetables you're eating with it will help slow down digestion/absorption. But I think I have to get more information about this, as @silva advises. I've also thought that the carbohydrates in legumes are more slowly absorbed than the starches in grains. but I'm going to double-check that. Then again, we usually don't grind legumes into flour before eating them (although sometimes we do)- we eat the whole cooked bean- so maybe that's why they digest more slowly and don't cause as big a blood glucose spike- sort of like silva's link just above reports about intact grains.

(I've only quote part of your post) I think that's how it works. Even if the bread/pasta itself has a rather high glycemic index, maybe the fiber in the vegetables you're eating with it will help slow down digestion/absorption. But I think I have to get more information about this, as @silva advises. I've also thought that the carbohydrates in legumes are more slowly absorbed than the starches in grains. but I'm going to double-check that. Then again, we usually don't grind legumes into flour before eating them (although sometimes we do)- we eat the whole cooked bean- so maybe that's why they digest more slowly and don't cause as big a blood glucose spike- sort of like silva's link just above reports about intact grains.
Another good resource is the book Whole by Colin Campbell of the China Study. Whole really is a more researched book

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Dr Greger sums it up as "nothing bad added, nothing good removed"
I've been eating all the bad that has been removed lately, and I feel like absolute CRAP :fp: :tired_face:. (But vegan. Why I don't like hearing how healthy a vegan diet is...I know better :sadnod:)

I also probably eat way too much unnecessary ****, but that doesn't make me feel ill for some reason.

I also probably eat way too much unnecessary ****, but that doesn't make me feel ill for some reason.
Last couple weeks I've been eating all junk. I don't feel ill, but I am finding my brain is foggy, and my knee and hand I have arthritis in are both acting up. I suppose if I hadn't have eaten a wfpb diet before I may not have noticed

Last couple weeks I've been eating all junk. I don't feel ill, but I am finding my brain is foggy, and my knee and hand I have arthritis in are both acting up. I suppose if I hadn't have eaten a wfpb diet before I may not have noticed
That really sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

Nutrition and health is too complicated. I shouldn't read this thread. It ruins my life lol.

• Haha
Reactions: bEt