Crochet

I just finished my corner to corner afghan last night, almost 4 months to the day from when I started it, which according to my photo album in my phone was January 28th.

This is my first major project to be completed since I started learning on January 12. I am ridiculously proud to have something so functional this early in my crocheting career.

Here it is displayed on my boyfriend's bed. It's still there presently, so I will get pictures of it with better lighting once it's back at my place:

View attachment 16915
Beautiful!:rose: :up: Your titanic efforts have paid off! :flower:

I just finished my corner to corner afghan last night, almost 4 months to the day from when I started it, which according to my photo album in my phone was January 28th.

This is my first major project to be completed since I started learning on January 12. I am ridiculously proud to have something so functional this early in my crocheting career.

Here it is displayed on my boyfriend's bed. It's still there presently, so I will get pictures of it with better lighting once it's back at my place:

View attachment 16915
Outstanding!!! I love it!

Here is my latest project. I found a YouTube video with instructions for a classic granny square pattern, done with a log cabin design. I started this one last Sunday and it's still a work in progress. I am amazing at how much faster I am progressing as compared to my previous afghan. Just over a week into it and already it's maybe 1/3 the size of my bed. I attribute that to using a larger size hook and a pattern that has a lot of holes in it by design
20190617_172454.jpg
The colors are a little hard to differentiate in this picture but the middle has grey, a peach/orange color and a pastel rainbow color.
Then in the outer rows, I swapped the orange for a pastel green/aqua color and I ran out of the rainbow color so I replaced that in the rotation with a cream color. My next row I am swapping the green back to the orange color for a bit.

Here is my latest project. I found a YouTube video with instructions for a classic granny square pattern, done with a log cabin design. I started this one last Sunday and it's still a work in progress. I am amazing at how much faster I am progressing as compared to my previous afghan. Just over a week into it and already it's maybe 1/3 the size of my bed. I attribute that to using a larger size hook and a pattern that has a lot of holes in it by design
View attachment 17166
The colors are a little hard to differentiate in this picture but the middle has grey, a peach/orange color and a pastel rainbow color.
Then in the outer rows, I swapped the orange for a pastel green/aqua color and I ran out of the rainbow color so I replaced that in the rotation with a cream color. My next row I am swapping the green back to the orange color for a bit.
Beautiful colors... and pattern!🤩🧜‍♀️

On a side note - My boyfriend does woodburning as a hobby and he has been getting bored of it lately. I told him the same fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination needed to burn designs into wood with a heated tool would probably lend themselves well to crocheting. So this weekend I am going to watch some beginner videos with him and try to guide him along through some of the basics, since I am still memorizing a lot of the finer points myself. Hopefully he will enjoy it well enough to give him an alternative activity.

Yes, I ended up doing just that. :)

I’m trying not to be too negative. I just feel like some people have a knack for certain things and others do not. But obviously I haven’t given it enough time. I can’t seem to get the hang of the one-handed-thing with slipping the yarn over and into the loop. So I end up using my right hand to manually pick up the stitch and pull it over! It’s quite comical but ive actually developed quite a knack for that and can go pretty quick...go figure! :lol:
A friend of mine on Facebook saw my latest afghan and expressed an interest in learning crochet. I was prepared to send her the series I used when she mentioned she is left handed. I remembered the challenges you had trying to learn from a right handed video. I searched a bit just now and, lo and behold, the same lady teaches the same 8 lesson series in a left-handed version too!

Last edited:
Back in January or February, when I was first learning, I started on a bunch of solid granny squares to make a throw blanket for my boyfriend. Then I got sidetracked with my other projects. I finally almost finished the last square shortly after taking this photo, but I ran out of one of the yarns I was using. I hope to buy another skein and finish that up in the next week or so. I want to have it ready for his birthday on August 10.
20190705_203108.jpg
A couple challenges I foresee are that some of my earlier squares when I was still brand new at it were crocheted more tightly and are smaller in dimension than the later ones. I may need to redo those so the afghan won't be lop-sided. The other challenge is finding a joining technique that will result in a nice, smooth, even product when it's complete. I have never joined squares before. Any recommendations for joining granny squares would be appreciated from you experienced crocheters, before I consult YouTube.

I found this pattern on Saturday afternoon. On sight, I assumed it would be too advanced for me, but it only uses 3 basic stitches and it's chrocheted in the round. I started the project that day, with the intent of having a suitable sized afghan completed in time for my mum's birthday on August 12. I will take a picture of how far I got by Sunday night and post it later:

I found this pattern on Saturday afternoon. On sight, I assumed it would be too advanced for me, but it only uses 3 basic stitches and it's chrocheted in the round. I started the project that day, with the intent of having a suitable sized afghan completed in time for my mum's birthday on August 12. I will take a picture of how far I got by Sunday night and post it later:
Here is my work in progress since Saturday. My boyfriend and I spent most of the weekend on the couch, watching Netflix. On days like that, I spend most the time crocheting. It offsets the guilt associated with a lot of TV watching when I have a nicely progressed craft project to show for it:
20190708_130042.jpg

Here is my work in progress since Saturday. My boyfriend and I spent most of the weekend on the couch, watching Netflix. On days like that, I spend most the time crocheting. It offsets the guilt associated with a lot of TV watching when I have a nicely progressed craft project to show for it:
View attachment 17417
I really like this pattern.

And thanks for posting the video for lefthanders...maybe once this house selling is done and I get to retire, I can seriously sit down and try to master this!

@GingerFoxx -I LUV that pattern!
I like the carpet pattern too :)
Haha, thank you. Actually, that's the carpet in my office. I was at work when I took that photo. I guess in this case the two complement one another. :D

I love the pattern as well. It reminds me of lace doilies, so it has a bit of an old fashioned feel. One you make the center of the square, the rest of the pattern is the same 4 rows repeated. It took me 1 time watching the video through, followed by a 2nd time where I crocheted along with her and paused at each step before my brain unlocked the repetition of the pattern. Now I can just look at my work and know what comes next without needing outside instruction. As a result I am able to go pretty fast, since it's basically just making chains and then building arches.

I am impressed with how fancy it looks, given the simplicity. The yarn came from a couple large bagfuls my boss gave me, now that her hands are too arthritic for crochet. I only had 2 skeins of each of those 3 colors, but a whole bunch of the white. I really like how they stand out in combination with each other. This might be my favorite project yet.

And thanks for posting the video for lefthanders...maybe once this house selling is done and I get to retire, I can seriously sit down and try to master this!
Maybe by then I will feel experienced enough to offer you some pointers/troubleshooting tips if needed. I would love to get proficient enough to teach someone else, but I hardly think I am ever destined for YouTube fame with all the competition out there, haha. I wish my boyfriend's tendonitis wasn't a prohibitive factor for him. He was really disappointed.

Maybe by then I will feel experienced enough to offer you some pointers/troubleshooting tips if needed. I would love to get proficient enough to teach someone else, but I hardly think I am ever destined for YouTube fame with all the competition out there, haha. I wish my boyfriend's tendonitis wasn't a prohibitive factor for him. He was really disappointed.
Ouch! Tendonitis...😳 It hurts.😬 Sorry to hear that your boyfriend has to deal with it. :hug:

@GingerFoxx, I have three methods I use depending on the finish I want. I like whipstitching or the mattress stitch (sometimes called an invisible seam) for a flatter finish. I single-crochet if I want a raised stitch throughout the afghan. I find that after a few years, the single-crochet stitching flattens out. It makes a nice trim, though.

Back