Crochet

It’s twisting and curling (like my hair). :lol:

99F2B9A4-4045-498B-B66F-CA0DEAABE715.jpeg

I’m getting together with two of my cousins and my oldest daughter (the no kids one) to do crafting today. Maybe I’ll bring my crochet stuff and see if one of them knows anything about crocheting.

Hahahahaha I’m so bad at it, I’m ready to quit already! Im going to try and make a video to show you how I did these few stitches. It’s hysterical. Not to mention, I’m left handed but I couldn’t figure out how to reverse what the video shows so I tried doing it with my right hand. It’s so funny!
View attachment 15550
I didn't realize you were left handed. There are many YouTube tutorials that teach left handed technique. I am sure you can find another that will be more accommodating.

I didn't realize you were left handed. There are many YouTube tutorials that teach left handed technique. I am sure you can find another that will be more accommodating.
Yes, I ended up doing just that. :)

I’m trying not to be too negative. I just feel like some people have a knack for certain things and others do not. But obviously I haven’t given it enough time. I can’t seem to get the hang of the one-handed-thing with slipping the yarn over and into the loop. So I end up using my right hand to manually pick up the stitch and pull it over! It’s quite comical but ive actually developed quite a knack for that and can go pretty quick...go figure! :lol:

Reactions: PTree15
Yes, I ended up doing just that. :)

I’m trying not to be too negative. I just feel like some people have a knack for certain things and others do not. But obviously I haven’t given it enough time. I can’t seem to get the hang of the one-handed-thing with slipping the yarn over and into the loop. So I end up using my right hand to manually pick up the stitch and pull it over! It’s quite comical but ive actually developed quite a knack for that and can go pretty quick...go figure! :lol:

I have to do that too on some of the more stubborn stitches. I noticed once I got the hang on not pulling the yarn too tightly that slipping one loop through another became easier. I also have been using the variegated yarns because having the loops and stitches be different colors from each other made it easier to see which loop I was pulling through and where I needed to insert my hook.

So the first few rows of the corner to corner square were tricky and confusing for me, just trying to figure out how to turn my work in the correct direction etc, but around about row 3 the logic of it clicked and I started cruising along pretty well. Here are my initial results. I am going to try another and see if I can get it a little more even.20190126_130427.jpg 20190126_130447.jpg

So the first few rows of the corner to corner square were tricky and confusing for me, just trying to figure out how to turn my work in the correct direction etc, but around about row 3 the logic of it clicked and I started cruising along pretty well. Here are my initial results. I am going to try another and see if I can get it a little more even.View attachment 15556 View attachment 15557
Wow, so pretty! I love the colors.

So the first few rows of the corner to corner square were tricky and confusing for me, just trying to figure out how to turn my work in the correct direction etc, but around about row 3 the logic of it clicked and I started cruising along pretty well. Here are my initial results. I am going to try another and see if I can get it a little more even.View attachment 15556 View attachment 15557
I love that! Awesome job. I have never tried a corner to corner square. Very pretty.

So here is what I have been up to since my last post. This first photo was supposed to be a second try at the corner-to-corner swatch, but I got into the rhythm of it and suddenly I got carried away on the size... So I decided to keep going with it and use up my old remnants of purples and blues and greens from old knitting projects to make a multicolored afghan.

20190208_205145.jpg

After working on that for about a week, I finally got to the craft store with my boyfriend. They had 1lb skeins of yarn on sale 40% off, so I asked him to pick one or two colors he would want for his afghan. He picked black and red. I decided to do the solid granny square pattern. I figured it would be very forgiving if I need to correct mistakes, and very portable since a square the size of a potholder takes me about an hour. It will also let me play around with the overall layout and design of the finished afghan later on.

20190208_204728.jpg

I admit I am intimidated by the prospect of stitching all those eventual squares together so they line up correctly and lay smoothly. Hopefully when that time comes I can find some suitable YouTube tutorials again...

So here is what I have been up to since my last post. This first photo was supposed to be a second try at the corner-to-corner swatch, but I got into the rhythm of it and suddenly I got carried away on the size... So I decided to keep going with it and use up my old remnants of purples and blues and greens from old knitting projects to make a multicolored afghan.

View attachment 15625

After working on that for about a week, I finally got to the craft store with my boyfriend. They had 1lb skeins of yarn on sale 40% off, so I asked him to pick one or two colors he would want for his afghan. He picked black and red. I decided to do the solid granny square pattern. I figured it would be very forgiving if I need to correct mistakes, and very portable since a square the size of a potholder takes me about an hour. It will also let me play around with the overall layout and design of the finished afghan later on.

View attachment 15626

I admit I am intimidated by the prospect of stitching all those eventual squares together so they line up correctly and lay smoothly. Hopefully when that time comes I can find some suitable YouTube tutorials again...

You can crochet them together. It's faster and easier than sewing them together, and gives a more finished look, IMO.

ETA: Crocheting them together also has the advantage that, if you don't like something about the way you've joined them, you can undo it really easily and quickly, rather than unpicking painstakingly stitch by sewn stitch.

Also, it cuts the number of ends you have to sew in by half, since you can hide the outer end of each square as you crochet the squares together.

Last edited:
So remember that corner to corner afghan I posted last month? Here it is as of a few minutes ago, laying on top of a queen-sized comforter for scale. Looking back at the first photos I took of it, I estimate it is now two months in the making and about halfway to queen-sized:
20190326_101005.jpg

I only have two full skeins of 100% acrylic yarn left that I can use, which are repeats of sapphire blue and magenta yarns I already used earlier in the project. I also have a handful of different colors of remnants too small to complete a full row now, but that I will be able to use nearer to the end as I decrease each row to achieve the desired square shape.

Honestly, I am probably going to set it aside once the last 2 skeins are used up, and resume working on the granny square afghan I started for my boyfriend. By the time I run out of the giant skeins of yarn I purchased for that, I will either be more motivated to buy yarn, or I might have acquired some yarn from a few coworkers who have offered me their unused stashes.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I love the afghan, GingerFoxx! I definitely want to try that pattern. It's really cool.

Reactions: Val
So remember that corner to corner afghan I posted last month? Here it is as of a few minutes ago, laying on top of a queen-sized comforter for scale. Looking back at the first photos I took of it, I estimate it is now two months in the making and about halfway to queen-sized:
View attachment 16103

I only have two full skeins of 100% acrylic yarn left that I can use, which are repeats of sapphire blue and magenta yarns I already used earlier in the project. I also have a handful of different colors of remnants too small to complete a full row now, but that I will be able to use nearer to the end as I decrease each row to achieve the desired square shape.

Honestly, I am probably going to set it aside once the last 2 skeins are used up, and resume working on the granny square afghan I started for my boyfriend. By the time I run out of the giant skeins of yarn I purchased for that, I will either be more motivated to buy yarn, or I might have acquired some yarn from a few coworkers who have offered me their unused stashes.
What is that stich? It's so pretty! <3I can't get over how flat it is, looks like it would be difficult to go diagonal :confused:

What is that stich? It's so pretty! <3I can't get over how flat it is, looks like it would be difficult to go diagonal :confused:
It's all double crochet stitches. The technique with which they are put together is called Corner to Corner (C2C). That technique starts with one small square of stitches and links an additional square on at the start of each row. It's all done in one piece. The tutorial I learned it from is further up in this thread, I believe.

Wow, that’s impressive, GingerGox!

Looks great! The nice thing about a corner to corner is that when you start decreasing, it seems to go much faster!

I just finished my corner to corner afghan last night, almost 4 months to the day from when I started it, which according to my photo album in my phone was January 28th.

This is my first major project to be completed since I started learning on January 12. I am ridiculously proud to have something so functional this early in my crocheting career.

Here it is displayed on my boyfriend's bed. It's still there presently, so I will get pictures of it with better lighting once it's back at my place:

IMG950209.jpg