Crochet

The last time I tried to crochet a sweater I was about 13 and had just gotten a gerbil. I came home from school to let him out and found the door to the cage open--and he was nesting in my gnawed half finished sweater!
I just may give it a shot-- there is a certain time between 8-9:30 I have my lap to myself!

Cats can be trained to not mess with the yarn while you're working. I knit. I just put it away, behind cabinet doors, when I'm not actually working on it; failure to do so is not pretty.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I finished two more swatches yesterday. The first is the triple (treble) crochet square I started Monday night. The second is my first actual pattern square, which is the moss (linen/granite) stitch. Today I'll watch lesson #6 and attempt my first granny square!20190122_200623.jpg
20190122_222858.jpg

I finished two more swatches yesterday. The first is the triple (treble) crochet square I started Monday night. The second is my first actual pattern square, which is the moss (linen/granite) stitch. Today I'll watch lesson #6 and attempt my first granny square!View attachment 15536
View attachment 15537
For what it's worth, I don't think you need to worry that you're doing anything wrong. Your tension is very even, and your swatches don't look like the work of a beginning crocheter.

Lessons 6 and 7 in the YouTube series I am learning from taught the classic granny square and the solid granny square. I completed the former on Wednesday night and the latter last night. Here are my first attempts at each.
20190123_211115.jpg 20190124_205739.jpg
Lesson 8 is how to crochet a corner to corner square. I'll attempt that one tonight. I'll probably practice the lessons 5 through 8 another time each over the weekend. At that point I think I will be comfortable enough to start *insert dramatic music here* The Blanket.

I truly am surprise with how quickly I am picking up speed and learning to read what is going on in my project by sight instead of just counting stitches.

Reactions: KLS52
I’m hoping to get to Michael’s on my lunch break to but a crochet hook and some yarn. :)

Reactions: PTree15
Thanks KLS! If you start learning too, we can be crocheting buddies! We'll be the Crocheting Karens!:rofl::rofl:
Haha I hope so! But honestly I don’t trust myself to not give up but hey, one has to take the first step!

So, according to the YouTube video I’m buying this:

I9 hook or 5 1/2 mm

medium number 4 weight yarn

If anyone has any comments feel free to share. You have until 12 noon lol. :p

Haha I hope so! But honestly I don’t trust myself to not give up but hey, one has to take the first step!

So, according to the YouTube video I’m buying this:

I9 hook or 5 1/2 mm

medium number 4 weight yarn

If anyone has any comments feel free to share. You have until 12 noon lol. :p
Part of posting my progress on this thread is to keep myself motivated and accountable in achieving this goal/resolution I've set. I need to buy a set of assorted size hooks I think. The only one I own is one my mum gave me YEARS ago to help me weave in the yarn ends on my knitting projects. It's only just now being used for its designed purpose. It's marked "F5" for the size but I am sure I will want other sizes to work with as I start getting into real projects.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Lessons 6 and 7 in the YouTube series I am learning from taught the classic granny square and the solid granny square. I completed the former on Wednesday night and the latter last night. Here are my first attempts at each.
View attachment 15547 View attachment 15548
Lesson 8 is how to crochet a corner to corner square. I'll attempt that one tonight. I'll probably practice the lessons 5 through 8 another time each over the weekend. At that point I think I will be comfortable enough to start *insert dramatic music here* The Blanket.

I truly am surprise with how quickly I am picking up speed and learning to read what is going on in my project by sight instead of just counting stitches.
That's perfect!
This thread has me wanting to crochet so badly now! I'm going to ... I've had this bronze metal hook that had hung around for decades- wonder if I can find it now that I want it? :rofl:

I just love the multi colored granny square! Those colors are gorgeous <3

Reactions: KLS52
That's perfect!
This thread has me wanting to crochet so badly now! I'm going to ... I've had this bronze metal hook that had hung around for decades- wonder if I can find it now that I want it? :rofl:

I just love the multi colored granny square! Those colors are gorgeous <3
Aww, thank you so much. The granny squares were each just made using some variegated yarns left over from a patchwork afghan I knitted years ago. I figured using scrap yarn was good for practice.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
View attachment 15547 View attachment 15548

You are a natural. Way to go!

You are a natural. Way to go!
I'm flattered, thank you! I won't have time to start my corner to corner project tonight. I had an unexpectedly rough day and my boyfriend is going to kidnap me when he gets out of work so we can spend the evening together. Tomorrow though, that will be my mission while he is at work. Of course pictures to follow upon completion...

I'm flattered, thank you! I won't have time to start my corner to corner project tonight. I had an unexpectedly rough day and my boyfriend is going to kidnap me when he gets out of work so we can spend the evening together. Tomorrow though, that will be my mission while he is at work. Of course pictures to follow upon completion...
Yikes, so sorry you had such a rough day.:hug: I hope you have fun tonight! And happy crocheting tomorrow. I look forward to the pictures. :)

Reactions: GingerFoxx
Hahahahaha I’m so bad at it, I’m ready to quit already! Im going to try and make a video to show you how I did these few stitches. It’s hysterical. Not to mention, I’m left handed but I couldn’t figure out how to reverse what the video shows so I tried doing it with my right hand. It’s so funny!
57F8EA90-327E-4244-A97F-6E2521156677.jpeg