Cooking tips tricks & quizzes

Haha I got “oh no”... but I knew I would do badly. I don’t follow rules well. I also answered the meat questions by what I had done when I was an omni.

Reactions: Lou
master chef.... speaking of 'master' anything - I do some real estate admin work for a friend and was informed yesterday that we are now discouraged from using the term master bedroom, instead we have to say primary bedroom.... so therefore I am a "primary chef"

:starshower:

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I just did the potato trick and it didn't work any better than when I just boil them with the skins without making a cut in it first. I have never had a problem getting the skins off after I boil them.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
The pepper is my favorite.
The banana is just ridiculous.
I haven't tried the garlic in the jar yet but it seems like a lot of wasted energy. I just smash the cloves with the blade of my big knife and that works well.

I do if I air fry them but I don't like skins in my mashed. 😊
I can't decide. so when I make mashed I just remove half of the skins. I will try that slicing half around trick next time.
I already knew the green pepper trick.
Every year my BIL gives me a garlic gadget. I haven't the heart to tell him but I just buy the crushed garlic in the and keep it in the frig. I did the math and it's about the same price per oz.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I use a garlic press, which gets rid of the paper layers. Works just fine, though if were doing sliced garlic for a pasta dish, I might try the shaking method. :D The pepper I knew as well. I didn't like the banana trick. That actually looked like more work. I eat potato skins most of the time, but I might try that if I were making mashed potatoes for guests, as many don't like the skins in with the mash.

we tried the shaking method for garlic and it works and it takes lots of energy and then you have to wash the shaker... we eat so much garlic that I have it down to a fine art and peel a bulb's worth in no time - I also love the process

Emma JC

we tried the shaking method for garlic and it works and it takes lots of energy and then you have to wash the shaker... we eat so much garlic that I have it down to a fine art and peel a bulb's worth in no time - I also love the process

Emma JC
Yes! I love everything about peeling and chopping garlic, and I love the smell. Garlic smell never gets nasty like onions.
Know whats good? Slices of garlic added to seitan! They get all soft and have a 'fatty' mouth feel, and taste good

I have an issue with tomato paste.

Many of my recipes calls for 1 or 2 tbsp of tomato paste. I open a can. use 1 or 2 tbsps, put the remainder in a plastic container. Then the next time I need tomato paste there is mold growing on top of the tomato paste.

A few times I split the remainder in two plastic containers and froze one. So it's not quite as wasteful.

Some stores have tomato paste in a tube. like toothpaste. I haven't found any around here but they sell it at amazon so I ordered some. it's more expensive than in the cans but I think maybe it will be cheaper in the long run - with less waste.

Tubes are definitely more expensive, around $2 to $4 per 4.5-ounce tube versus $0.80 to $1.50 for a 6-ounce can. But once a tube is opened, it’ll last 30 to 45 days without deteriorating in flavor. Tomato paste from a can will start to get moldy far faster because it’s exposed to more air, so you’ll have to freeze the excess if you want it to last.​

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I have an issue with tomato paste.

Many of my recipes calls for 1 or 2 tbsp of tomato paste. I open a can. use 1 or 2 tbsps, put the remainder in a plastic container. Then the next time I need tomato paste there is mold growing on top of the tomato paste.

A few times I split the remainder in two plastic containers and froze one. So it's not quite as wasteful.

Some stores have tomato paste in a tube. like toothpaste. I haven't found any around here but they sell it at amazon so I ordered some. it's more expensive than in the cans but I think maybe it will be cheaper in the long run - with less waste.

Tubes are definitely more expensive, around $2 to $4 per 4.5-ounce tube versus $0.80 to $1.50 for a 6-ounce can. But once a tube is opened, it’ll last 30 to 45 days without deteriorating in flavor. Tomato paste from a can will start to get moldy far faster because it’s exposed to more air, so you’ll have to freeze the excess if you want it to last.​
I put the rest of the can in a ziplock bag, flatten it, and kinda push it into fourths. No exact measure, but I couldn't care about that, easier to break of a piece about a Tbls I guess. Just did it.

Do you use a can opener to open both ends & push it out?

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I put the rest of the can in a ziplock bag, flatten it, and kinda push it into fourths. No exact measure, but I couldn't care about that, easier to break of a piece about a Tbls I guess. Just did it.

That is a good idea. Not sure I understand it completly. Do you put the can into 1 bag and sort of move it into fourths, or use 4 bags?

I have some little zip lock bags I bought my mistake - I could probably put 2 tbsps into each one and then freeze them. And re-use the bags, too.

But I just. ordered 3 tubes. That should last me like a year. And according to that article the tomato paste in the tubes has less salt and has less of a metallic taste too. So it might be money well spent.
Do you use a can opener to open both ends & push it out?
Yes I do. I think my mom taught me to do that like 40 years ago. I think that is the only thing I use that trick. Maybe for refried beans.

Reactions: Emma JC
That is a good idea. Not sure I understand it completly. Do you put the can into 1 bag and sort of move it into fourths, or use 4 bags?

I have some little zip lock bags I bought my mistake - I could probably put 2 tbsps into each one and then freeze them. And re-use the bags, too.

But I just. ordered 3 tubes. That should last me like a year. And according to that article the tomato paste in the tubes has less salt and has less of a metallic taste too. So it might be money well spent.

Yes I do. I think my mom taught me to do that like 40 years ago. I think that is the only thing I use that trick. Maybe for refried beans.
I just use one bag and divide in either halves or fourths
I think Trader Joes has tomato paste in tubes
Speaking of TJ's, I hear they discontinues the canned jackfruit. Kinda bummed
I need to go there for some pasta, I like their big macaroni. I wanted to try mac & cheese with my new brand of nooch and found I was out of mac.
Instead of making a roux I whisked a cup of soy milk with 2 Tbls flour, 1/2 tsp powdered mustard, garlic powder heated till started to thick, added a glob of vegan mayo and 1/4 cup of nooch--and about a tsp of lemon juice.