Christmas Cooking & Baking - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the stuffed peppers situation.
Have kind of decided on them, but now are trying to think of what sort of stuffed peppers.

I could make them with rice and Dolma spices, Turkish style. Or I could perhaps stuff them with a mushroom risotto, but using buckwheat as rice. ... I could stuff them with quinoa or millet... there are many options....

Also considering making pesto, and Rose Elliot's gravy.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Update on the stuffed peppers situation.
Have kind of decided on them, but now are trying to think of what sort of stuffed peppers.

I could make them with rice and Dolma spices, Turkish style. Or I could perhaps stuff them with a mushroom risotto, but using buckwheat as rice. ... I could stuff them with quinoa or millet... there are many options....

Also considering making pesto, and Rose Elliot's gravy.

I'm not too keen on rice as a stuffing. As you're making a summer style dish, quinoa or couscous plus vegetables would make a nice,lighter version. Are you planning to stuff and roast the peppers or just add the cooked stuffing to the shells ?

I also like pesto sauce with stuffed peppers.

I am going to roast the peppers too.

I had Turkish stuffed peppers at a cafe a while back using rice... was pretty good. But I am still decifing anyway. So many recipes for stuffed peppers online...

Reactions: PTree15
I made stuffed peepers with cous cous....it was amazing.

Reactions: Freesia
Having my Christmas meal with my friends this Saturday. Started some of the cooking and preparation today :p Had to make it not only vegan, but gluten-free, pepper-free, and mushroom-free as well.

Menu looks a little something like this:

Starter:
Roasted tomato and basil soup with bread rolls (with a gluten-free version)

Main:
Mini tofu borguignon pies (with a gluten-free version)
Sage and onion stuffing
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Carrots
Brussel sprouts
Onion gravy
Cranberry sauce

Dessert:
Blueberry cheesecake with swedish glace
Snickerdoodles

Impressive menu, Aery!

THat sounds awesome, Aeryfairy... :)

The reason I am making gravy is that the omnis might be making some roasted vegetables and stuffing and I might pour the gravy on those. But Im not entirely sure they are making them at all. I am probably making the pesto though, for the stuffed peppers.

Weird making pesto at this time of the year as the garlic season is just starting and the baby garlics are in the store, so it means that when I make the pesto it will be extra hot, as the baby garlic cloves seem to be hot and spicier than the mature cloves...

So the pesto ends up with a real kick in it.

Was excited to make a bit more of an effort this year and make some tasty things for Christmas day as we usually have everyone here. But this year we are going to my grandads instead! Really looking forward to it because he always used to make it such a special, fun day at his house when I was younger.

But I finish work at half 7 Christmas eve & we'll be driving to his in the morning so there's just no time to make anything.

Reactions: Freesia
Having my Christmas meal with my friends this Saturday. Started some of the cooking and preparation today :p Had to make it not only vegan, but gluten-free, pepper-free, and mushroom-free as well.

Menu looks a little something like this:

Starter:
Roasted tomato and basil soup with bread rolls (with a gluten-free version)

Main:
Mini tofu borguignon pies (with a gluten-free version)
Sage and onion stuffing
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Carrots
Brussel sprouts
Onion gravy
Cranberry sauce

Dessert:
Blueberry cheesecake with swedish glace
Snickerdoodles
Wow, that sounds awesome. I am getting hungry just reading this. :D

Reactions: AeryFairy
I'm exhausted. Made the snickerdoodles last night, then today I made the soup, cheesecake, and pie filling. I also made a tester pie to make sure the gluten-free pastry worked as I hoped. Now I'm just making a full list of everything I need to do tomorrow and the timings. My friends are worth it though :p

Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
I'm exhausted. Made the snickerdoodles last night, then today I made the soup, cheesecake, and pie filling. I also made a tester pie to make sure the gluten-free pastry worked as I hoped. Now I'm just making a full list of everything I need to do tomorrow and the timings. My friends are worth it though :p
Your friends are lucky!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.