Cast iron recipes

SuicideBlonde

Adorkable rockstar!
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I just received a cast iron a couple months ago. I love it. I seasoned it first thing. I have made so much in it. Bread, elots, fry bread, veggies and other things. I am curious about your favorite things to cook in the cast iron. I want to cook all the things in the cast iron. Any tips or tricks? I really am having fun cooking with it.

I love cooking in a cast iron pan! Home fries are probably my favorite thing to cook in it. Any any time a recipe calls for sauteeing, I use the cast iron (unless it's soup, because I want the flavors to remain in the pot). Caramelized onions come out amazing in it. Peppers and onions is another favorite, along with pancakes. Oh, and vegan quesadillas and refried beans, and fried rice. Haha, you can tell I use my cast iron a ton. :)

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
My cast iron is second only to my Instant Pot.
I often make tofu just cubing it, sprinkling Braggs on it and shaking in a bag of corn starch, sometime with panko, with garlic and onion powder and black pepper and sauting with a little oil. My son often requests it, and since he's omni I'm glad to oblige!

I had to look up elotes- I can't wait for corn on the cob!
I do like vegan mayo on corn and nooch, will have to roast it. DId you do that stovetop or oven?

I did stove top, but made quite a bit of smoke in the house. It would work well with vegan mayo and vegan sour cream mix with the nooch. Limes and spices. They are fantastic with gardein fish tacos and slaw.
No-Grill Elote Recipe non-vegan recpie. You can sub.

Reactions: PTree15
When grilling tofu l have actually come to prefer my Panini press as it compresses it and gives it more "substance" but done in the cast iron with a "Bacon Press' is pretty good too! I am always on the look for cast iron pots and pans and found a woman recently who had a beautiful long handled Dutch Oven that she had thought were a two piece frying pan set...Ha Ha Ha!
I also have an Induction stove that only works with Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Pans and pots. I have come to hate my old correlle ware.
Oh! Boston Baked Beans!!

When grilling tofu l have actually come to prefer my Panini press as it compresses it and gives it more "substance" but done in the cast iron with a "Bacon Press' is pretty good too! I am always on the look for cast iron pots and pans and found a woman recently who had a beautiful long handled Dutch Oven that she had thought were a two piece frying pan set...Ha Ha Ha!
I also have an Induction stove that only works with Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Pans and pots. I have come to hate my old correlle ware.
Oh! Boston Baked Beans!!

OH! I have a panni press sitting in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Can you give me some tofu tips?

Reactions: PTree15
OH! I have a panni press sitting in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Can you give me some tofu tips?
Now the heavier the better, l have a Cuisenart Top of the line model that was only available in the USA but it was so much better than their cheaper models..it has very heavy 2 sided removeable grill plates. You want to press out as much water from the extra firm tofu, then cut it inot slabs or cubes your choice then grill till it looks toasted, and maybe put a bit of pressure on the handle to help it along abit. It comes out like a nice pork chop, marinade with whatever you like or throw into a stir fry with a bit of cooking sauce.....The best! I have to add..l really don't like the teflon grill plates the press has but until l find one with iron plates it will do.

Now the heavier the better, l have a Cuisenart Top of the line model that was only available in the USA but it was so much better than their cheaper models..it has very heavy 2 sided removeable grill plates. You want to press out as much water from the extra firm tofu, then cut it inot slabs or cubes your choice then grill till it looks toasted, and maybe put a bit of pressure on the handle to help it along abit. It comes out like a nice pork chop, marinade with whatever you like or throw into a stir fry with a bit of cooking sauce.....The best! I have to add..l really don't like the teflon grill plates the press has but until l find one with iron plates it will do.

Thanks. about how long?

it all depends on how you like it just experiment with a few pieces...try each piece at a differnt time till you find what you like..remember you are not cooking it just heating it and giving it some firmness.

Thanks. I can't wait to try it

Reactions: windrose
I have a good grill pan that this would work with. I never though to use the press on the tofu. I'm going to try this the next time I make barbecued tofu. Thank you for the tip.

Reactions: Lou