Can vegans be in relationship with non vegan ?

Sylvain M

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Being vegan isn't easy, you have to be a person that can respect rules. Someone who understands and respects others. A one who cares for others, not only for himself.

I can't force someone to eat the same diet than me, or I'll become his[or her] manager, his doctor. That's not what we really need as individuals in a couple. If I convince a person to become vegan by seduction, I'll be her "Guru". If she left me, she'd maybe come back to the other diet. And if I'd use my knowledge and force to make someone do what pleased me, that's would not be love, that's would be submission.

Ideally, we must be equal and free, but free without hurting the one we love the most. That's the tough part, as vegan we don't want to hurt anyone. We mustn't hurt our lover, and protect her heart, soul, body and energys.
But knowing that, vegans can be easily abuse by those who are fake vegans. So take a good look before engaging.

Vegans singles have to find another vegan without lovemate to put every chance of happiness in there side.

It is a huge challenge being in a relationship with someone with totally different values. If there is mutual respect and sensitivity towards each other’s values its possible, but really, really challenging when there isn’t, particularly when the non-vegan has complete disregard for animal suffering and complete focus on their desire (not need) for meat.

It is a huge challenge being in a relationship with someone with totally different values. If there is mutual respect and sensitivity towards each other’s values its possible, but really, really challenging when there isn’t, particularly when the non-vegan has complete disregard for animal suffering and complete focus on their desire (not need) for meat.
How can I love someone who kills to eat ? If I love someone who kills, I kill. I won't be vegan.

I guess if there is no hope that the person will ever understand...but educating the ignorant who are truly good people but just have the wrong info can make a difference. If the person is already fully informed and still chooses...that’s different

My boyfriend was a flexitarian when I went vegan, and I must say it was pretty hard on me. Luckily we communicate very well and he is very loving and understanding. He was open to watching the documentary 'Dominion' with me, and after watching that he became vegetarian. He just couldn't bare to eat any more meat. He's not at the point yet that he's ready to go vegan, and I have to respect that. When we are at home, we only eat vegan, and out of the house he eats vegetarian, which is mo much better then a carnivore/omnivore diet. We talk about how good our lifestyle makes us feel and I definitely think there's a chance we will go vegan as well in the future, bus as you already said, I can't and wont force him in that process. I am very grateful that he is open to change and I respect that he has his own journey to (hopefully) go vegan. I stand by his side and help him where ever I can to make the better decision. We have so much respect for each other that luckily it does not affect our relationship very much.
If he would be ignorant and disrespectful, we would definitely NOT be together anymore! I don't need that in my life in any way!

My boyfriend was a flexitarian when I went vegan, and I must say it was pretty hard on me. Luckily we communicate very well and he is very loving and understanding. He was open to watching the documentary 'Dominion' with me, and after watching that he became vegetarian. He just couldn't bare to eat any more meat. He's not at the point yet that he's ready to go vegan, and I have to respect that. When we are at home, we only eat vegan, and out of the house he eats vegetarian, which is mo much better then a carnivore/omnivore diet. We talk about how good our lifestyle makes us feel and I definitely think there's a chance we will go vegan as well in the future, bus as you already said, I can't and wont force him in that process. I am very grateful that he is open to change and I respect that he has his own journey to (hopefully) go vegan. I stand by his side and help him where ever I can to make the better decision. We have so much respect for each other that luckily it does not affect our relationship very much.
If he would be ignorant and disrespectful, we would definitely NOT be together anymore! I don't need that in my life in any way!
When people are in a relationship and are changing together there diet, it's not exactly the same problem. And what you do is fine. It's the good way to become vegans. As a couple you seem to be in a elevation process.

That's awesome she doesn't like meat!
She doesn't know what meat tastes like. In America, people gave her some fake meat and she thought it was disgusting. Once we ate some vegetal pâté and she said “it tastes like meat, I can’t eat that”, but actually it didn’t. I can guarantee it didn’t taste like meat.

So in summary she doesn’t know the taste of meat but when she has the impression some vegan products tastes like it she is horrified.

She stopped eating meat when she was ten years old, because she often saw hunters chopping dead animals off. Then she started to make posters against meat and stuck them on butcheries.

How can I love someone who kills to eat ? If I love someone who kills, I kill. I won't be vegan.

If you feel this way you shouldn't date a non-vegan, or at least not a meat eater. All vegans are different people. Some are ok with omnis and some aren't. The fact that you assign this much importance to your values tells me you are not.

Reactions: kelli and Emma JC
My wife is also a vegan, but it may be possible for a vegan and omnivore to be happily married.

But, if a vegan and omnivore have children together, I think that big problems are likely. Will the child be raised vegan (especially if the wife is vegan, and the child is a boy)? If a vegan mother gives birth to a child that has a physical or learning impediment, will the spouse's family blame it on the mother's veganism?

I met my beautiful vegan wife through a local vegetarian / vegan Meetup group. There are veg Meetup groups all over the world - check http://www.meetup.com . It's so much easier when partners have the same general beliefs.

I’ve been married for 45 years...mostly vegan for the last 14. Husband and son are omni. It’s hard. But doable. Takes some tolerance on my part.

If I were single I think it would be a lot easier and I would definitely seek out someone more like minded. But you can’t really control who you fall in love with. You can set up the ground rules with an omni in advance and as long as you have mutual love and respect for one another I don’t see it being an issue. Unless you have no tolerance for omnis in general. Then it’s pretty much a deal breaker and you Know an omni is not for you.

Only if the end result is the vegan converting the non vegan.

going into any relationship with the intent or even hope that the other person will "change" is pretty much a recipe for disaster - it is better IMO to be very clear about who you would like to be in a relationship with and look for the person with those qualities...

Emma JC

going into any relationship with the intent or even hope that the other person will "change" is pretty much a recipe for disaster - it is better IMO to be very clear about who you would like to be in a relationship with and look for the person with those qualities...

Emma JC
I agree. It's just that if the person doesn't want to try veganism, then I'd prefer we just be separated since I can see us arguing every other day about our beliefs, which isn't healthy. I don't like to get into relationships to convert people, but if I do see myself in that position, I would do it in the nicest way possible where I'm not forcing my beliefs on my significant other, and more so just introducing him to a different way of life and seeing if he likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, he has every right to leave me or me leaving him. That's just my reality though. Not everyone else's.

Reactions: Emma JC
Recently got into a relationship with an omni, so hopefully. All I know is there aren’t many vegans in the world, and finding someone that is special is very hard, let alone someone special that is also vegan. What if he quit being vegan? Loads of people don’t last in the long term

Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52