Can Anyone Help?

Roquefort is made with any of the blue-green fungi, of the genus penicillium.
Penicillin is a pharmaceutical drug which is also derived from the fungi and it's not used in cheese making.

I've never tasted cultured vegan cheese (too expensive) so have not idea if they taste anything like dairy. However, Roquefort has a very unique salty taste and has quite a crumbly texture.
Cheese making is quite fascinating. I'm going to try and make some as I bought a starter but still have to use it.

So I got my hands on "The Art of Plant Based Cheese Making" and it's a detailed guide to making vegan cheeses. The author / chef actually recommends not using probiotics and instead using coconut based kefir using water kefir granuals. as the culturing agent.

We'll see at the end of the month how it turns out (it's down for aging at the moment).

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Anyone tried Banana Blossom. We got a tin of it and opened it, ghastly looking stuff, it seems you fry it and it's supposed to taste like fish.

Anyone tried Banana Blossom. We got a tin of it and opened it, ghastly looking stuff, it seems you fry it and it's supposed to taste like fish.

Did you end up making something with it ?

We don't get it over here so I haven't tried it. I suppose it really depends on how you prepare it and not to have high expectations. I really
can't imagine that it imitates fish.

1626333520648.png

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
Did you end up making something with it ?

We don't get it over here so I haven't tried it. I suppose it really depends on how you prepare it and not to have high expectations. I really
can't imagine that it imitates fish.

View attachment 25025

No I didn’t try it , we’ll maybe a little nib once I opened the can it was identical to the photo you posted .I thought it looked like the guts of an animal and through it out . I might get another can ,it looks edible in the video below.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
No I didn’t try it , we’ll maybe a little nib once I opened the can it was identical to the photo you posted .I thought it looked like the guts of an animal and through it out . I might get another can ,it looks edible in the video below.

I wouldn't mind trying it as the texture does look interesting. I'd be curious to know what you think of it when you cook it.:)

I just saw banana blossoms at an outdoor market while watching house hunters international on tv lol. 😁 The woman looking for an apartment rental had pointed them out and asked the market vendor what they were.

I wouldn't mind trying it as the texture does look interesting. I'd be curious to know what you think of it when you cook it.:)
Well I finally got the can open manage to get ideas from different “ fish” recipes .

Drain and rinse the banana blossom turn out on a clean tea towel or paper towel and pad to dry

Get a small container to marinate the contents put.In the bottom place about five sheets of seaweed sheets, one cup of soda water lemon flavour, a teaspoon of Tumeric, a teaspoon of dill, and 3/4 of a dessert spoon of soya sauce add blossom and marinate They say for 1 hour to 1 day I did seven hours.

Remove from sauce and try and drain some of the marinate out of the blossom squeeze it together into friable pieces into batter and fry in oil

I used a gluten free batter that was per instructions to use as a dry mix not a wet mix it didn’t work too well I would definitely use a wet mix next time.

Unfortunately I can’t blame shyvas for it not turning out I can only thank her😊 because it was to my surprise absolutely delicious

7EBF6EA7-5FB2-41E3-BA7E-B083E2A9701B.jpegC029A772-523B-44BC-807C-F22AB3654807.jpegABCDD499-91B0-4417-99D0-75F412279A09.jpeg

Last edited:
Are there any frozen, batter fried veggies that you just oven bake? I'm remembering the frozen fried chicken, or fish fillets, and really want something battered and fried. A thick batter, not like breaded nuggets.
Can't find the new Gardien chik'n --that's what I really want, but fried cauliflower, or mushrooms, would be great! I can't remember what onion rings are vegan? Aldi are, but they're not around now

over here we have a few.
Birds Eye makes them. So I imagine you can get them over there too.
Crispy Brocoli Florets and Crispy Cauliflower Florets.
As far as I know both are vegan and not Un-Healthy.

I also found Tempura Cauliflower. It is supposed to be air fried. There also seems to be a lot of fake fish and fake wings around.

• Love
Reactions: silva
over here we have a few.
Birds Eye makes them. So I imagine you can get them over there too.
Crispy Brocoli Florets and Crispy Cauliflower Florets.
As far as I know both are vegan and not Un-Healthy.

I also found Tempura Cauliflower. It is supposed to be air fried. There also seems to be a lot of fake fish and fake wings around.
I have seen Birds Eye- I think buffalo cauliflower? I didn't think it was vegan!
I was smelling Popeyes chicken and man, I'd love to just have the breading by itself!

Well I finally got the can open manage to get ideas from different “ fish” recipes .

Drain and rinse the banana blossom turn out on a clean tea towel or paper towel and pad to dry

Get a small container to marinate the contents put.In the bottom place about five sheets of seaweed sheets, one cup of soda water lemon flavour, a teaspoon of Tumeric, a teaspoon of dill, and 3/4 of a dessert spoon of soya sauce add blossom and marinate They say for 1 hour to 1 day I did seven hours.

Remove from sauce and try and drain some of the marinate out of the blossom squeeze it together into friable pieces into batter and fry in oil

I used a gluten free batter that was per instructions to use as a dry mix not a wet mix it didn’t work too well I would definitely use a wet mix next time.

Unfortunately I can’t blame shyvas for it not turning out I can only thank her😊 because it was to my surprise absolutely delicious

View attachment 25555View attachment 25556View attachment 25557

That sounds interesting and very helpful. I'd certainly like to try it if I can find the product over here. It's not going to be an easy task as you can't even find jackfruit in super/hypermarkets over here.
I think that I'll try it without the seaweed as I'm not too keen on the taste. Fish tastes nothing like the latter imo.

Thank you for posting such great pix! :)

I`m planning to make a leek,mushroom and white protein pie for dinner tomorrow night. However, none of the grocery shops
seem to have single cream. Does anyone know of un unsweetened brand that I can find in CA?

I’m making some red lentils and I always rinse before cooking. As they come to a boil, I notice a white foam rise to the top. Anyone know what that is? I am in the habit of skimming it off the top but I’m wondering if I really need to bother doing that. Just curious I’ll probably continue to do it regardless lol.

1CDC8938-2A16-4E8E-8702-7B6DBCEDB1B0.jpeg969C8ECB-4CA1-4641-B7A5-7FB23278A772.jpeg