Can Anyone Help?

You can add a small amount of each and you'd only need to slightly adjust the amount of liquid. If I rightly remember packet cake mixes only
contain flour, sugar and rising agents.
That’s what I’m thinking. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks!

Reactions: shyvas
I have a vegan cake mix...basic yellow. I want to add shredded zucchini and carrots, maybe some chopped pecans, cinnamon/spice. Do I need to make any adjustments to the remaining ingredients? Maybe cut back on the liquid since the carrots and zucchini have some water content to them? Let me know what you think please and thanks!
I think if you press the shreds dry in a towel you'll be alright.
But why not just follow a carrot/zucchini cake recipe ?

I think if you press the shreds dry in a towel you'll be alright.
But why not just follow a carrot/zucchini cake recipe ?
Because I’m looking to use the box mix before it expires and I Don’t want a plain yellow cake. 😊 I also want to use up a zucchini. I’ve been seeing pictures of carrot cake too and I’m craving. And using the box mix means less measuring/work lol. How’s that? 😁

Reactions: silva
Because I’m looking to use the box mix before it expires and I Don’t want a plain yellow cake. 😊 I also want to use up a zucchini. I’ve been seeing pictures of carrot cake too and I’m craving. And using the box mix means less measuring/work lol. How’s that? 😁
That's more like it! :joy:
This just got me remembering a post Shyvas made about explaining reasoning for your decisions! I meant to comment on it at the time and never did! I always like when people explain how and why they make their decisions, and I usually do that myself (even though some people don;t want to know!)

That's more like it! :joy:
This just got me remembering a post Shyvas made about explaining reasoning for your decisions! I meant to comment on it at the time and never did! I always like when people explain how and why they make their decisions, and I usually do that myself (even though some people don;t want to know!)
I don’t mind being asked. Keep in mind I don’t always have reasons for everything lol.

Reactions: silva
My cake is in the oven. It smells amazing. I’m so excited. I wanted raisins and chopped nuts but I’m hoping son and husband will help eat it so I had to leave them out. I did add pumpkin pie spice and extra cinnamon. And of course, there will be icing. I may not bother with cream cheese icing and just do a glaze/drizzle.

Last edited:
My cake is in the oven. It smells amazing. I’m so excited. I wanted raisins and chopped nuts but I’m hoping son and husband will help eat it so I had to leave them out. I did add pumpkin pie spice and extra cinnamon. And of course, there will be icing. I may not bother with cream cheese icing and just do a glaze/drizzle.
Looking forward to hearing how it tasted!

• Friendly
Any good ideas on what to do with Clementines that are Very tart?
Usually they are really sweet but, the last batch I bought area inedible!
I don’t usually cook fruit but, I don’t know what to do with these...
Open to any ideas...

Any good ideas on what to do with Clementines that are Very tart?
Usually they are really sweet but, the last batch I bought area inedible!
I don’t usually cook fruit but, I don’t know what to do with these...
Open to any ideas...

Clementine almond cake :

Reactions: 1956 and silva
I’ve never cooked with clementines but my motto for fruit that isn’t sweet is, when in doubt add sugar! 😁
There are some interesting recipes here. They need to veganized but seems doable. Salads, quick bread and granita!

Reactions: 1956
So here’s a question for you...

since I love the depression cake so much, what would happen if I made it without the cocoa powder? Would that work if I don’t want a chocolate cake? 😁

So here’s a question for you...

since I love the depression cake so much, what would happen if I made it without the cocoa powder? Would that work if I don’t want a chocolate cake? 😁

You would have to slightly adjust the sugar content and perhaps add 1 extra tbs of flour or ground almonds instead of the cocoa powder.

Reactions: KLS52
You would have to slightly adjust the sugar content and perhaps add 1 extra tbs of flour or ground almonds instead of the cocoa powder.
Oh that’s good! Thanks. Maybe I’ll try it tomorrow.

I like this box mix but as good as it is it still has that “boxed” cake taste. I would like a really simple yellow cake recipe like the depression chocolate cake. I like the vanilla cupcake recipe from VCTOTW but it’s not quite as simple as the depression cake. And sometimes it would come out a little dry.

B0703513-1B15-42C0-BF80-96A7F497AEE1.png

Plus I can’t find it in a local store and Amazon only has it in a six pack.