Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of cooking beans on the stove top. I try to cook up big batches, but that seems to take forever. I also hate keeping my stove on for that long and creating so much steam, moisture, and heat in my kitchen. I'm trying to find a free or cheap used crock pot but not having any luck. I have found a rice cooker though. Would I be able to cook beans in a rice cooker?

I wouldn't think so as they need lots of water. Why not invest in a pressure cooker to cook beans ?

I totally concur. I got a really nice electric pressure cooker from Aldi last month for less than $50 and it cooks dry beans in 25 minutes. Presoaked would probably take about 10. You can also use it for things like rice and as a slow cooker. It even has a browning feature on it so you can get a bit of a caramel color into things like peppers and onions for soups and stews.

If you want a stovestop pressure cooker - the older kind with the weight thingie on top but no electronic parts, I have one you can have for free. It was only used a few times and it isn't that old but it was too much trouble. Actually, now I think of it, I also have a slow cooker with changeable, different sized crocks you could have also, if you wanted. It doesn't have preset functions or anything fancy but it works well.

Last edited:
I'm sick of cooking beans on the stove top. I try to cook up big batches, but that seems to take forever. I also hate keeping my stove on for that long and creating so much steam, moisture, and heat in my kitchen. I'm trying to find a free or cheap used crock pot but not having any luck. I have found a rice cooker though. Would I be able to cook beans in a rice cooker?

I have no idea about the rice cooker (before VV, I thought a rice cooker was a saucepan :p) but I got a pressure cooker at a carboot sale for less than £5 - myself and my parents have slow cookers and coffee machines nearly-new from carboot sales. So if you can find places to look for second hand goods, I think you've got a good chance of finding one for a really cheap price, because kitchen gadgets are the sort of thing people buy and never use, or get bought and never use. Goodluck anyway :)

Ok, all you vegan bakers, I've tried looking for info online about this, but I haven't had much luck. I have used Ener-G egg replacer in my chocolate chip cookie recipe for a few years now and have tinkered with the recipe enough to get the cookies how I want them. But suddenly, Ener-G egg replacer hasn't been available in the usual stores for some reason, so I picked up Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. The ratio of powder to water is different (more bob's needed plus more water: 1 TBS of bobs and I believe three TBS water). So, my question is: If my recipe calls for 4 1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G, would I replace that with 3 TBS. of Bob's? It seems the batter would be more watery, though I notice there is wheat gluten in the Bob's egg replacer, so maybe that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried that my cookies won't be as good. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Ok, all you vegan bakers, I've tried looking for info online about this, but I haven't had much luck. I have used Ener-G egg replacer in my chocolate chip cookie recipe for a few years now and have tinkered with the recipe enough to get the cookies how I want them. But suddenly, Ener-G egg replacer hasn't been available in the usual stores for some reason, so I picked up Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. The ratio of powder to water is different (more bob's needed plus more water: 1 TBS of bobs and I believe three TBS water). So, my question is: If my recipe calls for 4 1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G, would I replace that with 3 TBS. of Bob's? It seems the batter would be more watery, though I notice there is wheat gluten in the Bob's egg replacer, so maybe that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried that my cookies won't be as good. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

This is a very interesting question as the 2 products have different ingredients.

I gather that you are using a vegan recipe. Most of the cookie recipes that are non vegan seem to have one egg in their list of ingredients. It would be a good idea to see your recipe PTree if you don't mind posting it.

I would use the exact instructions on the product's packet as they have the precise mesure of how to replace one egg.
It is normal that there is extra water in BM's as soya flour and gluten absorb more water than potato and tapioca starch.

Bob Mill : Ingredients Whole Soy Flour, Wheat Gluten, Corn Syrup Solids, Algin (From Algae).

Directions :
For each whole egg to be replaced in your recipe, mix 1 Tablespoon Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer with 3 Tablespoons water.

Ener-G Egg Replacer :

Ingredients: Potato Starch,Tapioca Flour, Leavening (Calcium Lactate, Calcium Carbonate, Cream of Tartar), Cellulose Gum, Modified Cellulose.

Directions :

One Egg = 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 2 tbsp water

So if your recipe calls for four and a half teaspoons of Ener G I would guess that's three eggs right?

So I would follow the directions on Bob's red Mill's for replacing three eggs.

So if your recipe calls for four and a half teaspoons of Ener G I would guess that's three eggs right?

So I would follow the directions on Bob's red Mill's for replacing three eggs.
Yes I think that's right. I use Bob's and though I'm not a great baker, it seems to replace eggs fine. :)

Thanks for the replies! My suspicion was as you suggested, KLS. Shyvas, yes, it's the chocolate chip cookie recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking, and it does call for the equivalent of three eggs, so I think that is what I will try. If they come out unfit for public consumption, I'm sure I'll figure out a way to eat them...like making a vegan sundae out of them :D.

Reactions: KLS52
:D
Thanks for the replies! My suspicion was as you suggested, KLS. Shyvas, yes, it's the chocolate chip cookie recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking, and it does call for the equivalent of three eggs, so I think that is what I will try. If they come out unfit for public consumption, I'm sure I'll figure out a way to eat them...like making a vegan sundae out of them :D.

That is strange PTree, as I made that recipe and I didn't like the cookies. At least the birds will like them...............

Birds, like dogs, shouldn't have chocolate.

Chocolate is a highly palatable food. Some of us know that all too well. Unfortunately, many birds seem to love chocolate almost as much as people. Chocolate is not bad for birds just because it is high in calories and fat though, it contains a compound called theobromine. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and cats as well, but birds, again due to their smaller size and more rapid metabolism, may be even more susceptible to its toxic effects.

Generally, the sweeter the chocolate (more sugar), the less theobromine present (milk chocolate contains about 1-2 mg of theobromine per gram, dark unsweetened chocolate may contain as much as 15-16 mg per gram). Despite this, no chocolate should be given to birds. Signs of chocolate toxicity include: hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmias, seizures, dark colored droppings and death.
http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/miscellaneous/toxicoses.html

:D

That is strange PTree, as I made that recipe and I didn't like the cookies. At least the birds will like them...............
Hmmmm. What was it you didn't like about them? I am curious because people devour and rave about them when I make them. I do use dark brown sugar when I make them and slightly undertake them so that they are soft and chewy.

I didn't know that. Anyway 'my birds' get special bird food, wholmeal bread and apples. I never have any leftover cake or biscuits in my house.
Hmmmm. What was it you didn't like about them? I am curious because people devour and rave about them when I make them. I do use dark brown sugar when I make them and slightly undertake them so that they are soft and chewy.

I didn't like the taste or texture. You'll have to post me one of your cookies PTree !

This reminds me of a member on another forum who sent me a slice of Nigella Lawson's Christmas cake.

Hehe, I could do that! Do you have a good vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe? I am always looking for good chocolate chip cookie recipes.

My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance. In fact it's the only recipe from that book I ever use. But I have used it a lot, and everybody loves them :)

Reactions: AeryFairy
I use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and substitute a combo of flax egg/EnerG for the eggs and use vegan chocolate chips. They are awesome! I think the flax egg addition adds to the chewiness of the cookie.

I use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and substitute a combo of flax egg/EnerG for the eggs and use vegan chocolate chips. They are awesome! I think the flax egg addition adds to the chewiness of the cookie.
Thank you, KLS, I was wondering whether I should try the flax seed egg. Most of what I read online suggested the flax egg was better for breads and such, so I wasn't sure it would work in the chocolate chip cookies. I love the tollhouse recipe.

Hehe, I could do that! Do you have a good vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe? I am always looking for good chocolate chip cookie recipes.

Sorry but I don't. I have seldom come across a choc chip cookie that I can say I like. When you read the recipes or food blogs, everyone says that their recipe is the best.:D

Sorry but I don't. I have seldom come across a choc chip cookie that I can say I like. When you read the recipes or food blogs, everyone says that their recipe is the best.:D
Lol, that's true!

My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance. In fact it's the only recipe from that book I ever use. But I have used it a lot, and everybody loves them :)

Same for me - I think I've made maybe three other recipes from that book, but it was worth it for the cookies alone. Also, if you take the chocolate chips out of the recipe, you get an awesome cookie base recipe to load up with other stuff like raisins and nuts and vegan sweets :p

Reactions: SummerRain
Status
Not open for further replies.