Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TPV that I buy overhere is very dry.
I add a little stock or marmite stock plus a binding agent i.e. mashed sweet potato or nut butter or even cooked porridge. Add either a little flour or gluten and make patties. I usually leave them to chill in the fridge, coat in flour and pan fry them.

Ok thanks. The 'mince' is frozen so when you defrost it, it has a slight wetness to it.

I see. Mine just comes in a packet.
At times when I've felt lazy, I have just pan fried tpv with some flaked shallots, garlic ans spices and served on a bed of vegetables !:(

Lazy :no: ...that sound so yummy!
I never think of doing anything different with 'mince' just the usual spag bol and with mash!

I would think you'd need a binding agent, Alice... Something to make the mixture a little doughy. I've never tried to make burgers like that, though.

I'm planning on making some hand made tortillas as I have bought a tortilla press at a Mexican supermarket in California . :cool:
I have some masa and wheat flour. I thought that I'd try Diana Kennedy's recipe from her book ;
The Art of Mexican Cooking and would like to know whether you have any tips ?
Has anyone ever made their own tortillas ?

http://www.culinate.com/books/colle...of_mexican_cooking/tortillas_made_with_maseca

Jen says that she's made her own tortillas, but not with a tortilla press tho, she just used a rolling pin I think she said.

I'm planning on making some hand made tortillas as I have bought a tortilla press at a Mexican supermarket in California . :cool:
I have some masa and wheat flour. I thought that I'd try Diana Kennedy's recipe from her book ;

http://www.culinate.com/books/colle...of_mexican_cooking/tortillas_made_with_maseca

Are you planing on mixing the wheat flour with the masa? That's not typical for corn tortillas and the result will not be the corn tortillas regularly used.

Flour tortillas are much easier to make than corn.

Put the tortilla ball in between sheets of plastic wrap while pressing.

Edit, never mind I see her recipe called for that, lol. Link didn't open when I first tried it.

Once you figure out the proper moistness (not too dry, not too wet) presses work well.

I love to bake, but my wheat bread is never very fluffy or good for sandwiches. It is a bit low, thick and crumbles apart. I need a good, simple vegan wheat sandwich bread recipe, or any advice. Thanks.

I love to bake, but my wheat bread is never very fluffy or good for sandwiches. It is a bit low, thick and crumbles apart. I need a good, simple vegan wheat sandwich bread recipe, or any advice. Thanks.
With whole wheat, I use added gluten. Or half whole wheat flour, half white. And our tap water is too warm here, and it is too humid here for good baking, so I turn up the AC and use a little less water. I made great bread in Connecticut. Not so much here in Florida. :mad:

Reactions: mary1
I finally found Farro after not being able to find it anywhere for months. I didn't realize that there are different varieties of Farro though. I was hoping to get whole Farro, but apparently I picked up pearled faro instead. Google tells me that pearl farro is stripped of all the healthy stuff and the texture isn't as chewy as the whole. I was really looking forward to trying it because it's high protein and fiber content.

Has anyone tried both types? How much of a difference is there with the textures?

I finally found Farro after not being able to find it anywhere for months. I didn't realize that there are different varieties of Farro though. I was hoping to get whole Farro, but apparently I picked up pearled faro instead. Google tells me that pearl farro is stripped of all the healthy stuff and the texture isn't as chewy as the whole. I was really looking forward to trying it because it's high protein and fiber content.

Has anyone tried both types? How much of a difference is there with the textures?

I have only ever bought whole Farro and it is delicious as it has a nice chewy texture and nutty taste. I`ve only
ever seen pearl barley which is stripped of it`s outer layer.

I was going to make toffee apples... and then I remembered I'm allergic to apples :fp: (can't believe I forgot). I am allergic to most fruits that grow on trees (when raw)... are there any other fruits that might taste nice toffee'd, ones I could maybe eat? Banana might taste nice but I'm not sure if it's too soft/quick to go off when pealed? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.