Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah great suggestions, thanks! In the end I found out that my local hardware store rents out cake-tins for a pound! Which is great because I didn't want extra pans cluttering up my kitchen as well, plus I think good quality cake tins are usually best so it worked out cheaper.

Cake is out of the oven and looks really good. Just gotta wait three months to eat it... :p

Reactions: shyvas
How about a recipe for a vegan jelly roll cake? I'm wondering if the recipe shyvas posted for sponge cake would work. I don't want to roll it with jelly/jam but rather some kind of cream/pudding filling.

Maybe something like this!
naty5e6u.jpg

Yes, it would be perfect for a swiss roll type of cake as it is really light. You could always make a confectioner's vanilla custard and use it as a filling.

For a more festive end result you could also swirl cristalised chesnut spread with the vanilla cream.

Reactions: KLS52
Yes, it would be perfect for a swiss roll type of cake as it is really light. You could always make a confectioner's vanilla custard and use it as a filling.

For a more festive end result you could also swirl cristalised chesnut spread with the vanilla cream.
Nice...thanks, shyvas!

I'm hopless of making vegan burgers! I rearly get them to stick together! How can I get them to be burgers, and not a big mash of veggies?

What kind of recipe are you using ?

My head mostly. :p Perhaps that's why it wont work.

But I have this idea that burgers are an excellent to use veggies that need to be used now. So I want to use whatever I have. And adding beans or lentils to them. But my idea wont work! :p But is there anything I can add to make them stick together? I alway put them in my oven, as my frying pan is terrible to fry anything on (need a new one...).

But I have this recepie that is vegetarian, but I would love to make it vegan.

1 packet/can of chickpeas
A hand of cashewnuts
1 egg
1 clove of garlic
Chilli flakes, salt and pepper

Any idea how to veganaise this?

But I have this idea that burgers are an excellent to use veggies that need to be used now. So I want to use whatever I have. And adding beans or lentils to them. But my idea wont work! :p But is there anything I can add to make them stick together? I alway put them in my oven, as my frying pan is terrible to fry anything on (need a new one...).

A hand of cashewnuts
1 egg
1 clove of garlic

You don't need too much moisture ( leave out the egg) but you do need a binder. You could add some mashed vegetable like sweet potatoes or pumkin, ground almonds, brewer's yeast flakes and flour. I also like to add dried shallots and garlic flakes plus some chilli flakes.
I use soya cream and linseed/flax to bind. Using your hands make little patties. If you find the mixture too moist just add more flour. Leave them to dry on a wire rack and either pan fry or bake in the oven.

Reactions: Mikkel
You don't need too much moisture ( leave out the egg) but you do need a binder. You could add some mashed vegetable like sweet potatoes or pumkin, ground almonds, brewer's yeast flakes and flour. I also like to add dried shallots and garlic flakes plus some chilli flakes.
I use soya cream and linseed/flax to bind. Using your hands make little patties. If you find the mixture too moist just add more flour. Leave them to dry on a wire rack and either pan fry or bake in the oven.

Thanks a lot! :)

I have bumped up a Vegan Bean Burger recipe.

Please do consult the recipe section. Some of the ingredients and methods may give you further inspiration to create vegan recipes.

Thanks a lot again! :D

Reactions: shyvas
I have way too many onions, it was buy one bag get one free. I have two large bags of small yellow onions. Can I freeze them? I very much doubt it. Can I caramelize some and freeze them?
So many onions.

I have way too many onions, it was buy one bag get one free. I have two large bags of small yellow onions. Can I freeze them? I very much doubt it. Can I caramelize some and freeze them?
So many onions.

You don't have to freeze them. Keep them in a cool place like a larder or even a garage. You could also slice them and freeze them either raw or cooked.
Howabout making somme pissaldière ? It is a sort of caramalised onion pizza.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm sick of cooking beans on the stove top. I try to cook up big batches, but that seems to take forever. I also hate keeping my stove on for that long and creating so much steam, moisture, and heat in my kitchen. I'm trying to find a free or cheap used crock pot but not having any luck. I have found a rice cooker though. Would I be able to cook beans in a rice cooker?

I'm sick of cooking beans on the stove top. I try to cook up big batches, but that seems to take forever. I also hate keeping my stove on for that long and creating so much steam, moisture, and heat in my kitchen. I'm trying to find a free or cheap used crock pot but not having any luck. I have found a rice cooker though. Would I be able to cook beans in a rice cooker?

I wouldn't think so as they need lots of water. Why not invest in a pressure cooker to cook beans ?

A hand of cashewnuts
1 egg
1 clove of garlic

If you mix a desert spoon of corn flour with enough water to make it sticky (about a desert spoon I guess), I think that works well in the place of an egg for this kind of recipe. You can also roll the burger in this corn flour and water mix and then roll it in breadcrumbs to stick them on, which is quite nice.

Reactions: Mikkel
Status
Not open for further replies.