Bugs - Not for the Squeamish

After reading comments on some articles about bugs (namely the one in the Dragonfly Video topic) I've realized that I'm not crazy. Dragonflies must actually like to hang around humans and pose for pictures! It seems that whenever we encounter one, it hangs around long enough to let us get good pictures. When it flies away, it always comes back to the same spot. This goes on until we leave, when it will simply fly away.

Obviously it can't be aware of the camera, but has anyone else noticed this natural curiosity for humans in dragonflies?
Mosquitoes like humans, dragonflies like mosquitoes, so...

Reactions: FortyTwo

Free nightmares! Come get your free nightmares! :p

ETA: If you're worried about animal violence/gore, it's dead, and not gory. Nonetheless it might be a bit disturbing to some. I just think it's crazy how insanely dedicated ants are.

Wow. They really do use "everything"; say that with quotes because I don't know if they really took the skull and the spine.

Not a bug, but it's a wasp nest. It reminded me of a tree, so I flipped the photo.
3687756920_0db9d1a459_z.jpg

And I finally renewed my Flickr account so I was able to get to some photos without having to wade through the bazillions I have on my external hard drive. Here are a couple flies:
3505205452_a7b3666668_z.jpg

3501171706_86bbbccfb9_z.jpg

^^That image isn't working for me. Was it a picture you took? I try to view the image and it takes me to some found images blog?

ETA: ohhh, the pic is working for me now. I had to look through the blog and find the rhino beetle post.

^I have never been around beetles larger than an inch or so, so those guys would be fantastic to see in person!
I have held hissing cockroaches, which seemed more like beetles than roaches but still....giant rhino beetles! :woo:

^I have never been around beetles larger than an inch or so, so those guys would be fantastic to see in person!
I have held hissing cockroaches, which seemed more like beetles than roaches but still....giant rhino beetles! :woo:

I have pet hissing cockroaches. :p

It amuses me how people think they look like beetles. I guess it's just a comfort thing - people aren't comfortable around cockroaches, but hissing roaches aren't as conventionally "gross" so people associate them with something also of that nature.

Not a bug, but it's a wasp nest. It reminded me of a tree, so I flipped the photo.
3687756920_0db9d1a459_z.jpg

And I finally renewed my Flickr account so I was able to get to some photos without having to wade through the bazillions I have on my external hard drive. Here are a couple flies:
3505205452_a7b3666668_z.jpg

3501171706_86bbbccfb9_z.jpg
Rosie, all your photos I've seen on this site are amazing! You are very talented! :)

Reactions: FortyTwo

Haha I know they're amazing! :eek:

Not sure why the link wasn't working, sorry, I just found the picture on google images and copied and pasted. I saw a program about these guys before, it was fascinating.