UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

dsg9aCo.gif

Brexit, starring “Simon’s Cat”
Haha, Simon's cat explains Brexit.

Theresa May has made Boris Johnson the new Foreign Secretary.:eek: I shouldn't be shocked at the political developments at this point.:p

Theresa May's Cabinet reshuffle: Boris Johnson appointed Foreign Secretary as George Osborne is sacked and replaced by Philip Hammond

BJ is the Foreign Secretary but she has named two other mps in charge of international trade and Brexit negotiations. I think that she has a strategy in place and know's exactly what she is doing.

It's a political bloodbath with all these sackings!:D I'm glad Theresa May has kicked out the incompetent losers like Michael Gove and Nicky Morgan.

A political presenter said that he thought that David Cameron was ruthless, but Theresa May is making Cameron look like Larry the cat.:lol:

ETA - Out

George Osborne - Was chancellor

Michael Gove - Was justice secretary

Nicky Morgan - Was education secretary

John Whittingdale - Was culture secretary

Oliver Letwin - Was Cabinet Office minister

Jeremy Hunt - Moved from health secretary post

It's a political bloodbath with all these sackings!:D I'm glad Theresa May has kicked out the incompetent losers like Michael Gove and Nicky Morgan.

A political presenter said that he thought that David Cameron was ruthless, but Theresa May is making Cameron look like Larry the cat.:lol:

:D

ETA - Out

George Osborne - Was chancellor

Michael Gove - Was justice secretary

Nicky Morgan - Was education secretary

John Whittingdale - Was culture secretary

Oliver Letwin - Was Cabinet Office minister

Jeremy Hunt - Moved from health secretary post

Good for her. The UK needs a ruthless leader like her.

Larry must be wondering what all the commotion is about. I've seen him numerous times on
the news since Tuesday.

Larry the Cat is the perfect Brexit metaphor

Last edited:
Labour divisions widen as anti-Corbyn leadership rivals turn on each other
"The Labour party has been engulfed by a fresh bout of infighting as the camps of the two potential “unity candidates” set to fight Jeremy Corbin for the leadership embarked on their own war of words."
Infighting for the unity candidate ... Yeah ....
"The formal window for MPs to declare their support for a leadership candidate starts on Monday and finishes on Wednesday."

You can pay £25 in the 48 hour period of Mon-Wed to become a registered Labour supporter to have a say in the coming leadership contest. I don't know if I can be bothered.:hmm:

25 quid!? Jeez!
I suppose they prefer to keep the riff-raff out and appeal more to middle-class people. £25 is also what the Conservatives charge for a membership whereas the LibDems only charge £12 ("but we hope that you might consider donating a little more").

Yeah, I really can't be bothered to join Labour and waste £25.:p I just hope Theresa May will do a decent job as it seems like the Conservative Party will be in government for a long time!

Millennials 'set to earn less than Generation X' - BBC News
Millennials (under-35s) are set to become the first generation to earn less than their predecessors, new research suggests. The Resolution Foundation also warned that a post-Brexit recession could cut millennials' earnings even further.

I suppose they prefer to keep the riff-raff out and appeal more to middle-class people. £25 is also what the Conservatives charge for a membership whereas the LibDems only charge £12 ("but we hope that you might consider donating a little more").

It's not just the actual cost that's annoying - it's the fact that that's not a membership fee. The membership fee, which around 130,000 people have already paid, was £3 (or £1 and change for concessionary rates). Upon joining and paying that fee, one of the 'benefits of membership' was listed as "being able to vote in leadership elections". And now they've put this six-month cap on it, because guess who the vast majority of those 130,000 new members joined to vote for? They couldn't legally keep Corbyn off the ballot, so they've made sure to severely limit the number of votes he'll receive. Democracy! :rolleyes:

Oh, and Labour's NEC also shut down a campaign which was started to help people pay the £25 fee:
Justgiving
UPDATE 15.07.16.pdf

Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy, data suggests - BBC News
Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy, data suggests

Britain's decision to leave the EU has led to a "dramatic deterioration" in economic activity, not seen since the aftermath of the financial crisis.

Data from IHS Markit's Purchasing Managers' Index, or PMI, shows a fall to 47.7 in July, the lowest level since April in 2009. A reading below 50 indicates contraction.

Both manufacturing and service sectors saw a decline in output and orders.

However, exports picked up, driven by the weakening of the pound.

The report surveyed more than 650 services companies, from sectors including transport, business services, computing and restaurants.

The BBC recently broadcast a program on the life and career of Prime Minister Edward Heath, the man who took Britain into the European Community/European Union. Hear Heath call this his crowning achievement, which would never be undone.
(He must be spinning in his grave.)

The Heath Enigma

Archive on 4, Sat 9 July 2016, 20:00

The conventional wisdom is that Sir Edward Heath was a one-shot prime minister. For good or ill, he transformed the United Kingdom by taking the country into the European Community in 1973. But otherwise his premiership is commonly remembered for its economic 'U-turn', its prices and incomes policy, the miners' strike and the three-day week, culminating in an early election and humiliating defeat. After Heath was ousted as Conservative leader by Margaret Thatcher, he famously devoted himself to the 'incredible sulk' while she became an election-winner and long-serving prime minister.

Yet does this view present the full truth of the man and his career - a man who was an accomplished musician, and who also taught himself to sail before becoming a world class yachtsman? Was he also a more successful politician who made a greater impact than is often appreciated?

On the centenary of his birth (9 July 1916), Shaun Ley presents a reappraisal of Heath, the man and the leader, drawing on archive recordings and interviews with those who knew him. This portrait explores the enigma of an intensely private man who reached the top in politics and inspired affection among those closest to him, despite his extraordinary social awkwardness and brusque dealings with many others. His contemporaries discuss the personal qualities and flaws that shaped him, and the drive and talent that enabled him to transform the Conservatives into a party of change. The programme also reveals the inside story of the eventual rapprochement between Sir Edward Heath and Baroness Thatcher in their later years. For the first time, a wider audience can hear Margaret Thatcher praising Edward Heath as one of Britain's greatest Prime Ministers.

Producer: Rob Shepherd.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - LG to Move Euro Headquarters Out of U.K.
LG Electronics is to relocate its European headquarters from London to Frankfurt after the U.K. voted to leave the European Union. LG's German office in Dusseldorf will also move to Frankfurt.

"The decision is aimed at expanding business-to-business trade in automotive parts, which is our new growth driver," an LG executive said. All preparations are to be complete by October.

LG considered moving its main regional office to Germany last year when talk of Brexit began to pick up steam. "We picked Germany as our new hub of European marketing because of the relationship between the U.K. and the EU," the executive said.