Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experimented with my steel cut oats this morning - added lentils to them. I was planning on using the tiny red lentils or split red lentils and I found I had only brown and green lentils so I used the green. I put rinsed them and put them in the water while it was heating up and then added the steel cut so altogether they likely cooked for 30-40 minutes. Had them the usual way after that with berries, half a banana, flax, hemp hearts, walnuts, cinnamon, turmeric and maple syrup.

It was tasty and because of the lentils I chewed more often and it didn't really change the taste, just made me feel good to have added a pulse to my breakfast so it wasn't quite so carb heavy. Basically did 1/2 cup of lentils with 2/3 cup steel cut oats. I didn't eat it all so still have half to reheat tomorrow.

Emma JC

It sounds good but have you tried this?
Substitute soymilk for water in your steel cut oats recipe. You get the extra protein without the extra chewing. Oh, maybe you like the extra chewing.

It sounds good but have you tried this?
Substitute soymilk for water in your steel cut oats recipe. You get the extra protein without the extra chewing. Oh, maybe you like the extra chewing.

I do like the extra chewing and do prefer water as I have my almond milk on the mornings that I have a smoothie.

I managed to sneak in some red lentils to yesterday's oats without 'him' noticing as they tend to look like oats when cooked. I only did about a 1/4 of a cup to 3/4 of a cup of steel cut.

Emma JC

Breakfast wraps:

Flat bread made from sprouted barley and whole wheat flour (first successful attempt at making a semi sprouted flat bread from whole barley that I put through the sprouting process)

stuffed with:

- Sprouted black beans (marinaded and cooked)
- Hashbrowns
- red bell pepper
- Kale
- chopped Leek
- apple cider vinegar
- salt

Two bananas

Salad of:
Cucumber
Carrot
Kidneybeans
Dried red bell pepper paste
Dried onion powder

Spirulina

My awesome super gross and trashy fave brekkie of vegan Top Ramen with Chipotle Tabasco.

I even have a special ceremonial way of eating it, out of an Asian bowl with my black chopsticks. Ha ha ha.

I actually made a real breakfast this morning! I made my 5 ingredient vegan pancakes with chickpea flour, then sautéed onions with balsamic vinaigrette to put on top, and used tahini mixed with water, lemon juice, and salt as my "syrup" instead of sweet stuff.

I actually made a real breakfast this morning! I made my 5 ingredient vegan pancakes with chickpea flour, then sautéed onions with balsamic vinaigrette to put on top, and used tahini mixed with water, lemon juice, and salt as my "syrup" instead of sweet stuff.

I remember when I was a child we used to eat our pancakes topped with lemon juice and white sugar. It was delicious and I suspect that my parents couldn't afford the amount of maple syrup that would be needed for a family of 8. Thanks for the memories.

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
This morning's breakfast was typical of recent:

Sprouted barley/whole grain wheat wraps stuffed with

hash browns
tofu
Cos lettuce
Broccoli
Tomato
salt
vinegar

Made stove top stuffing with some old bread, celery, onion, no chicken bouillion, garlic and black lentils.
This sounds really good. Can I admit that I never thought of eating stuffing outside of thanksgiving!?!?

Breakfast:

A very high fiber store bought whole wheat bread as toast with vegemite and broccoli. 4 slices. I also had a slice of a homemade sprouted barley bread - said slice being thick and heavy (the bread came out as a brick, lol - newbie sprouted bread mistakes)

Since I had a few too many beers last night and this was a very high fiber/adequate carb meal it was enough for both breakfast and lunch. I was not hungry all day.

This morning's breaky:

Hash brown sandwiches on a high fiber whole wheat bread with Cos lettuce, ketchup and mustard
Tofu scramble
The sprouted barley sweet treats I made yesterday

My experiment of mixing red lentils with steel cut oats is going very well, so well that my honey still hasn't caught on that it is happening. ;)

Made it again this morning, along with wild blueberries, mixed frozen berries, banana and all the other usual toppings and a side of cinnamon raisin bread with peanut butter on it.

Emma JC

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Not really in a "breakfast" mood...I made a salad with mixed greens, a few broccoli florets, flax seeds, and a tamari ginger dressing. I also had whole grain seed toast with a little bit of this curry almond dip I had left.

I'm out of hash browns! :(

Baked beans, sprouted barley and whole wheat flat bread, Cos lettuce and a homemade Italian dressing made from water, chia seeds, apple cider vinegar and a variety of herbs.

My experiment of mixing red lentils with steel cut oats is going very well, so well that my honey still hasn't caught on that it is happening. ;)

Made it again this morning, along with wild blueberries, mixed frozen berries, banana and all the other usual toppings and a side of cinnamon raisin bread with peanut butter on it.

Emma JC

I love how you are sneaking in nutritious foods without him knowing. I get a mental picture of a loving wife patiently, quietly and with some long suffering putting up with irrational resistance and some stubbornness while secretly benefiting her husband in spite of it, hehe

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
Coffee to start, with raw sugar, pre soaked and dried barley (as powder), and a bit of peanut butter, blended.

Simple meal of tater tots, tofu and broccoli, with a bit of salt and ketchup

I love how you are sneaking in nutritious foods without him knowing. I get a mental picture of a loving wife patiently, quietly and with some long suffering putting up with irrational resistance and some stubbornness while secretly benefiting her husband in spite of it, hehe

hehe - if only I could find an non-alcohol scotch and sneak it into the bottle we'd be all set....

Emma JC

Status
Not open for further replies.