Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday is always steel cut oats here - cooked together with red lentils and frozen cranberries and flax meal - topped and bottomed with wild Canadian blueberries and topped with turmeric/pepper, banana, cinnamon, hemp seed, walnuts and maple syrup - with a side of sprouted toast and peanut butter.

Emma JC

@Raven

I love his channel, but a lot of the ingredients he uses are not easy to find. Nonetheless, to me he has a very artistic approach to his cuisine. I've watched Gaz's channel grow from it's infancy to over a million subs. If I am ever in the UK I am definitely going to his new restaurant.

Cheers!

Saturday is always steel cut oats here - cooked together with red lentils and frozen cranberries and flax meal - topped and bottomed with wild Canadian blueberries and topped with turmeric/pepper, banana, cinnamon, hemp seed, walnuts and maple syrup - with a side of sprouted toast and peanut butter.

Emma JC
That sounds amazing.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
Toast of homemade bread with yeast spread, and chickpea scramble (sprouted chickpeas, water, salt, pepper, sage, a Mexican spice mixture, blended and cooked).

Breakfast burritos:

Whole wheat wraps filled with chickpea scramble( sprouted chickpeas, water,
potato, onion, garlic, flax seeds, pepitas, Fajita spice, Sage, Mexican BBQ spice - blended and cooked) plus lettuce and tomato sauce.

A grand new day with grand new possibilities!

Some people find it weird but what gets me going in the morning is siberian "Burduk Kissel". When kneading dough for bread, remove a small part. Mix it with water and set it aside until obtaining some residue. Pour out the water. Repeat the procedure twice. Then pour boiling water (or milk) over the residue. As a result it turns into a dense and delicious kissel, the Burduk.

Or some good old Kvass! A traditional fermented Slavic and Baltic beverage commonly made from rye bread. Its classified as a "non-alcoholic" drink by most east european standards, as the alcohol content from fermentation is typically low (0.5–1.0%). It may be flavoured with fruits such as berries, raisins or herbs like mint!

Have a nice day... Cheerio!

• Informative
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Berries with yoghurt and a few cashew nuts. Lemon water.

I need to get some tofu for breakfasts.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
A cup of porridge. Two diced sweet potatoes. Two bananas. A handful of peanuts. Too much to eat, I just got a temporary potbelly.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
A grand new day with grand new possibilities!

Some people find it weird but what gets me going in the morning is siberian "Burduk Kissel". When kneading dough for bread, remove a small part. Mix it with water and set it aside until obtaining some residue. Pour out the water. Repeat the procedure twice. Then pour boiling water (or milk) over the residue. As a result it turns into a dense and delicious kissel, the Burduk.

Or some good old Kvass! A traditional fermented Slavic and Baltic beverage commonly made from rye bread. Its classified as a "non-alcoholic" drink by most east european standards, as the alcohol content from fermentation is typically low (0.5–1.0%). It may be flavoured with fruits such as berries, raisins or herbs like mint!

Have a nice day... Cheerio!
Yeah, kvas is everything. We have plenty of brands which are sold in grocers. Right now, a 2-liter bottle of kvas is standing on the table downstairs (i guess, mom is sipping it😁). When i was little, my granny used to make kvas from scratch, and later, during Perestroika, she was making it out of special brickets. Nowadays, very few russians make kvas from scratch.
Kissel is our heritage too: my favourite one is cranberry kissel. My dad used to make it himself. It's sold in grocers either, but most varieties are for naught. OTOH, its making process isn't hard, so sometimes we make it at home.
Well, the third traditional russian drink is "tea fungus" (the one that you call kombucha). People grow it at home (we were doing it either), and it reaches enormous sizes (the fungus' body, a.k.a. scoby).
The most traditional dish with kvas is "okroshka" (cold soup made with kvas instead of water). Some people use kefir. There is such a variety of kvas as "white kvas". Lol, my sister's husband says that it has a repulsive taste. But i made okroshka with white kvas, and it was more than edible.😆 Anyway, we love our fermented foods and drinks. (Even those who don't care about traditions, make sauerkraut, fermented cuckes and "soaked apples" at home).:woo:

• Friendly
Reactions: Ohzen
Yeah, kvas is everything. We have plenty of brands which are sold in grocers. Right now, a 2-liter bottle of kvas is standing on the table downstairs (i guess, mom is sipping it😁). When i was little, my granny used to make kvas from scratch, and later, during Perestroika, she was making it out of special brickets. Nowadays, very few russians make kvas from scratch.
Kissel is our heritage too: my favourite one is cranberry kissel. My dad used to make it himself. It's sold in grocers either, but most varieties are for naught. OTOH, its making process isn't hard, so sometimes we make it at home.
Well, the third traditional russian drink is "tea fungus" (the one that you call kombucha). People grow it at home (we were doing it either), and it reaches enormous sizes (the fungus' body, a.k.a. scoby).
The most traditional dish with kvas is "okroshka" (cold soup made with kvas instead of water). Some people use kefir. There is such a variety of kvas as "white kvas". Lol, my sister's husband says that it has a repulsive taste. But i made okroshka with white kvas, and it was more than edible.😆 Anyway, we love our fermented foods and drinks. (Even those who don't care about traditions, make sauerkraut, fermented cuckes and "soaked apples" at home).:woo:
Cranberry Kissel... the taste of christmas... Im somehow afraid though of preparing my own because I dont want to replace this memory with heavy coughing and scrubbing red goo from the kitchenwall.

Best thing about Kvas is it looks a bit like Pepsi™ (or Cocal Cola ™)... its so much fun tricking people into trying it. I think I gonna teach myself how to make some proper Kvas! In Austria you usually only get the ones that tastes more like synthetic lemon than anything else.

Okroshka with White Kvass.... marvelous... I can literaly taste it in my mouth right now. My mother used to say: "If Kefir cant heali it, its lethal".

Knowledge of how to make so many traditional dishes is getting lost... thats it! Im starting a russian summer challenge and will try to learn as much about how to make own Kissel, Kvass and Kefir! My russian KKK summer! Oh ****... no wait.... that titel seriously needs some rebranding....

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Cranberry Kissel... the taste of christmas... Im somehow afraid though of preparing my own because I dont want to replace this memory with heavy coughing and scrubbing red goo from the kitchenwall.

Best thing about Kvas is it looks a bit like Pepsi™ (or Cocal Cola ™)... its so much fun tricking people into trying it. I think I gonna teach myself how to make some proper Kvas! In Austria you usually only get the ones that tastes more like synthetic lemon than anything else.

Okroshka with White Kvass.... marvelous... I can literaly taste it in my mouth right now. My mother used to say: "If Kefir cant heali it, its lethal".

Knowledge of how to make so many traditional dishes is getting lost... thats it! Im starting a russian summer challenge and will try to learn as much about how to make own Kissel, Kvass and Kefir! My russian KKK summer! Oh ****... no wait.... that titel seriously needs some rebranding....
Wow, you're seriously into russian food!😜 (I wonder, do you have any russian ancestors, or any other particular interest)? You may not answer.😁 ...Anyway, if you decide to experiment with russian foods (there are plenty of traditional vegan foods and foods which can be easily veganized),- feel free to ask.😎

Wow, you're seriously into russian food!😜 (I wonder, do you have any russian ancestors, or any other particular interest)? You may not answer.😁 ...Anyway, if you decide to experiment with russian foods (there are plenty of traditional vegan foods and foods which can be easily veganized),- feel free to ask.😎
My mother was born in Baku and had 12 siblings that (especialy the men due to customs of soviet military service) spread all over russia. Even though my mother liked Austria... she had a russian soul so often was drawn back to her motherland, and dragged me along.

Memories of what we had to eat are simple and meat was only served on special ocasions... which is weird considering many people learn that eating meat is reward or festival, creating a strong link between the taste of meat and happy emotions. However, most of the time I was just busy digging through moutains of речневая каша (Buckwheat?), inhaling борщ со сметаной (Borscht with sour cream... the recipe can differ very much from country to country), slurping on thick, sweet Kissel so loud the neighbours dogs started barking... gulping down a bucket of cold Kefir in one go when the stomach starts grumbling again.... piles of mashed potates with juuust a bit of butter and salt on top, Квашеные огурцы (pickled cucumber?), sweeeeeeet tomatoes fresh from the field.... oh boy... I miss those times....

I understand that Russia (more so the Soviet Union) was rather big and siberain cousine is more meat reliant than of regions around the Caspian Sea. Obviously I was "lucky" and vast majority I remember of traditional russian" food is simple, vegetarian (even vegan) and in my personal opinion delicious......

• Love
Боже мой (Dear God!)....... how could I have forgot "Wareniki" (Dumplings) with potates.... to get back to the original topic: for Breakfast just heat up some butter and pour it over.

1593819263357.png

• Haha
My mother was born in Baku and had 12 siblings that (especialy the men due to customs of soviet military service) spread all over russia. Even though my mother liked Austria... she had a russian soul so often was drawn back to her motherland, and dragged me along.

Memories of what we had to eat are simple and meat was only served on special ocasions... which is weird considering many people learn that eating meat is reward or festival, creating a strong link between the taste of meat and happy emotions. However, most of the time I was just busy digging through moutains of речневая каша (Buckwheat?), inhaling борщ со сметаной (Borscht with sour cream... the recipe can differ very much from country to country), slurping on thick, sweet Kissel so loud the neighbours dogs started barking... gulping down a bucket of cold Kefir in one go when the stomach starts grumbling again.... piles of mashed potates with juuust a bit of butter and salt on top, Квашеные огурцы (pickled cucumber?), sweeeeeeet tomatoes fresh from the field.... oh boy... I miss those times....

I understand that Russia (more so the Soviet Union) was rather big and siberain cousine is more meat reliant than of regions around the Caspian Sea. Obviously I was "lucky" and vast majority I remember of traditional russian" food is simple, vegetarian (even vegan) and in my personal opinion delicious......
Wow, it's a small world! 🌍 And you can write in Russian! That's impressive!:flower: It's Гречневая каша (starts with letter "г"). The rest of what you have written is correct.😁 Btw, "Mashed potatoes" = "толчёная картошка" или "картофельное пюре". "Sweet tomatoes" = "сладкие помидоры". "Помидоры" is basically a distorted word "pomo d'oro" ("golden apple").😜
And, it happened to be, that there are a lot of Azeri people in my city and my hometown (i live in a suburb of Saint-Petersburg), including people from Baku. We always get along, because people from Azerbaijan are smart, polite and talented in many ways.🇦🇿💖🇷🇺

• Friendly
Reactions: Ohzen
Боже мой (Dear God!)....... how could I have forgot "Wareniki" (Dumplings) with potates.... to get back to the original topic: for Breakfast just heat up some butter and pour it over.

View attachment 21651
Lol, dumplings are "pel'meni"...😁
It looks like we'll be able to have a small conversation in russian in the future. Seriously, you're good.😎

Status
Not open for further replies.