Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin Peaks Breakfast at the RR Cafe:

Disclaimer - So one of my social activities on-line during the pandemic was to join a Twin Peaks watch party. I am not the type of person that wants to attend a lot of "watch parties" but Twin Peaks is my favorite show ever, David Lynch and Mark Frost wove environmentalism, Buddhism, indigenous philosophy, Taoism, transcendental meditation, and a really amazing mid-20th century aesthetic, into a show that's also filled with campy network TV soap opera, Agatha Christie mystery parody, and exploitation horror. I have yet to see anything else on television that touches its genius.

1 can Thai-style unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 24 hours

1 jar cherries in syrup (marachino works, or a can of pie filling, I got some dark cherries in a weird organic brand)

1 tsp real vanilla

vegan pancakes or waffles

Blend the cold coconut milk with the vanilla in a blender or with a hand mixer, until similar to a whipped cream consistency. Serve on top of cooked pancakes or waffles with cherries. Serve with a cup of damn good coffee, black as a moonless midnight.

Fake-on or tempeh "burnt to a crisp" optional (I didn't have it).

Simple tofu scramble with hash browns and spiced with salt, pepper and sage. Also some whole wheat bread with a bit of yeast spread and lettuce.
Ooo! Hash browns! I saw it, and i can't help asking you: if you don't mind, could you please tell me how do you make your hash browns so they don't fall apart? (I DIDN'T find any proper recipe of vegan hash browns that would suit me). The matter is that i want to make mom make some for me (sorry for the tautology), and mom would willingly do that, but my problem is that i not only hate oil (which is obviously required for the recipe), but also, my blocky carcass has some nasty (autoimmune?) reactions to oil, so i'm trying to avoid it whenever it's possible. I'm craving hash browns (though i've never craved them before), but now that i haven't consumed oil in such a long time... i'm not sure if i will get stomach (and other) issues after eating something cooked on oil. :???: A couple times, i followed the recipe given me by Shyvas (and it turned out good). I used plant milk and bread crumbs, and my fritters didn't stick to the skillet.😁 I think we can get bread crumbs this time in the grocer, but i'm interested to know your approach to this problem (moreover, hash browns are not fritters, and we'll be doing completely vegan ones for the first time). I'm not a big fan of potatoes anymore (as i had overeaten them in my younger years), but it would be good to try something traditional in a new way (hash browns are quite traditional for russian cuisine, just called differently).

Last edited:
Ooo! Hash browns! I saw it, and i can't help asking you: if you don't mind, could you please tell me how do you make your hash browns so they don't fall apart? (I DIDN'T find any proper recipe of vegan hash browns that would suit me). The matter is that i want to make mom make some for me (sorry for the tautology), and mom would willingly do that, but my problem is that i not only hate oil (which is obviously required for the recipe), but also, my blocky carcass has some nasty (autoimmune?) reactions to oil, so i'm trying to avoid it whenever it's possible. I'm craving hash browns (though i've never craved them before), but now that i haven't consumed oil in such a long time... i'm not sure if i will get stomach (and other) issues after eating something cooked on oil. :???: A couple times, i followed the recipe given me by Shyvas (and it turned out good). I used plant milk and bread crumbs, and my fritters didn't stick to the skillet.😁 I think we can get bread crumbs this time in the grocer, but i'm interested to know your approach to this problem (moreover, hash browns are not fritters, and we'll be doing completely vegan ones for the first time). I'm not a big fan of potatoes anymore (as i had overeaten them in my younger years), but it would be good to try something traditional in a new way (hash browns are quite traditional for russian cuisine, just called differently).

I regularly par boil potatoes, cool, then keep in the fridge. The amount I do lasts several days. Then I just use a cheese grater and grate the amount I want to make.

Although I don't mention it, I do use a bit of oil. I've tried lots of methods of browning potatoes, including using water, crushed flax seeds in water (for wholefood oiliness) and a non stick pan - and just found that a little oil goes the distance in browning above other methods for potatoes. If you come across past posts, I've preached against oil (it's basically nearly nutritionless garbage) - but, it does come in handy for browning without a huge amount of pan sticking.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I regularly par boil potatoes, cool, then keep in the fridge. The amount I do lasts several days. Then I just use a cheese grater and grate the amount I want to make.

Although I don't mention it, I do use a bit of oil. I've tried lots of methods of browning potatoes, including using water, crushed flax seeds in water (for wholefood oiliness) and a non stick pan - and just found that a little oil goes the distance in browning above other methods for potatoes. If you come across past posts, I've preached against oil (it's basically nearly nutritionless garbage) - but, it does come in handy for browning without a huge amount of pan sticking.
Thanks! :flower:

Reactions: Nekodaiden
jam packed smoothie

ground up wakame, frozen blueberries, ground flax, peanut butter powder, Scorbatate, greens powder, cayenne, turmeric/pepper, pinch salt, banana, oat milk

Emma JC

Reactions: Val
steel cut oats/red lentils, froz cranberries, froz blueberries, banana, ground flax, turmeric/pepper, cinnamon, hemp seeds, maple syrup, toast with peanut butter

Emma JC

Reactions: Val
just about to start cooking.... tofu scramble and will put in a whole wheat tortilla with a bit of cheeze - a side of orange and grapefruit slices

Emma JC

I had a vegan cream cheese sandwich and a strawberry yoghurt. Glass of water with lime.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Status
Not open for further replies.