Announcement Big news - a new era begins soon!

If the chit chat style threads annoy members, they don't have to open them.
I think the point is that the original VF members have to scroll through a lot of stuff they have no interest in before they see anything that has a bearing on what they thought their forum was about.

Don't the sex and the old people's areas still exist? Couldn't the Lounge area be handled the same way? If you opt into the area, threads with recent activity show up when you click on "new"; if you don't opt in, you don't see the threads at all.

I think the point is that the original VF members have to scroll through a lot of stuff they have no interest in before they see anything that has a bearing on what they thought their forum was about.

Don't the sex and the old people's areas still exist? Couldn't the Lounge area be handled the same way? If you opt into the area, threads with recent activity show up when you click on "new"; if you don't opt in, you don't see the threads at all.
LOL @ "old people's area." That made me giggle. I'm not sure whether those are still around.
I sometimes am dopey about how all of these filters and options work, so opting in would basically be like signing up for the various threads?

LOL @ "old people's area." That made me giggle. I'm not sure whether those are still around.
I sometimes am dopey about how all of these filters and options work, so opting in would basically be like signing up for the various threads?
I think so. I never opted into either, so no threads in there were ever visible to me.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I agree that having the chat thread and the other Lounge threads come up in New Posts is very handy. And for the record, every Veg*an MB I’ve been on had threads I had no interest in. I just scrolled right past them looking for something that interested me more. I honestly thought that’s what you do on message boards? Not every part of it will be of interest to everyone.

I think we need a group hug. I’m kind of a big mush and I get attached to people easily. So the chit chat is a way of connecting. My VVers are like my family and I already have my VF favorites so you’re stuck with me. Don’t try to hide out in the heavy/serious threads because I will come find you, lol. 😁

Thank you for the feedback - I would hate for the VF culture to be destroyed in all this.

I've been thinking that perhaps the threads in the chat style forums (i.e. the Lounge and its sub-forums) should be excluded from the list displayed when you click "What's new" or "New posts". I think we could try it for a while and see if it helps.
I like the chat threads and lounge- there should be plenty room for whatever people want to discuss on the variety of forums.
Why not the over 50 and other threads you have to sign up for?

Well this whole thing is disappointing but whatever. I’m not going anywhere. I’ll figure out how to adapt but I’m sure I’m going to miss a lot of stuff.

We didn’t really give the merge much time, IMO, did we, before starting to change things? I think it would have been ok to let things slide for awhile to give us all time to acclimate. The last thing we need is more division. I’ve had enough of that over here, the last three years, with the political nonsense. :cry:

Group hug. :hugs:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Why would you miss anything?

All you have to do is opt into the Lounge once, and then everything will be as it has always been.

The difference is for people who don't opt in - they won't see the Lounge threads.

Why would you miss anything?

All you have to do is opt into the Lounge once, and then everything will be as it has always been.

The difference is for people who don't opt in - they won't see the Lounge threads.
I thought I would have to opt in to each thread. Kind of like, if I don’t know something is there, I won’t know to look for it. If it’s opting in to an entire forum with multiple threads that sounds easier.

Mischief is correct.

Though there are a lot of chat-style threads outside of the Lounge forums as well, and not all of them came from VV either. We might just have to live with that, to some extent.

Reactions: KLS52
Sorry, I haven't been on since yesterday early afternoon.... I did not wish to suggest that any changes needed to be made and certainly not to have specific threads made irrelevant or harder to see or find. It is early days and I think that you should consider leaving it as is when you merged it and try not to make too many huge changes all at once (like losing the signature line etc). Having the email working again would be good as not having it means I didn't realize this converation has continued as it did.

It is wonderful that two groups of people who care about the same things have merged and absorbing differences is what life is all about.

Even though I may not participate in some of the chattier threads I do pop in and read them as it gives me insight into people and then it makes it easier to take their advice and suggestions in other threads.

I am thrilled that VV is here and so look forward to learning and sharing.

Emma JC

Interesting. At VV, we tried to be a source of info for new veggie folks, but it didn't really catch on. It seemed that most of the members who have been veggie for quite a while preferred to shoot the breeze about whatnot.

I'm a big advocate of veggie education, but talking about sources of protein for the thousandth time gets old after a while.

We had a lot of newbies come on and yes, they did all ask the same questions and have similar issues and yet each was answered with patience as we were all there once upon a time. There have been a lot of people helped by other people's experience.

If you go back and look at @Lou posts over the months you will see posts that go into great depth to help newbies and people struggling and so much is repetitive and yet if we helped even just a few people then it is worth it. Some of us have the time to do it and understand that not everyone does.

Feeling part of a community is also so important and there are many different roles in a community so we each contribute in our own way.
IMO

Emma JC