Announcement Big news - a new era begins soon!

Indian Summer, you said that the reaction has been positive over there. I don't see an announcement or thread discussing this? Do you mean the reaction of mods/owners that you've spoken to privately?

There's already a Poppy over there. That one has to change. :mad:
That Poppy has never posted and hasn't been seen since January. So I think we should be able to sort that out, no problem :)

What happens when those members who haven't been active try and log in VV? Will they be redirected? Will you be able to send emails to the whole member list?
What about Poppy? Will first Poppy win?
Yes, the domain will redirect everyone to VF, and maybe I'll put up a notice or something to explain. I will be able to send emails to everyone who hasn't opted out of such emails. And yes, I will go to great lengths to preserve usernames of longstanding members.

Indian Summer, you said that the reaction has been positive over there. I don't see an announcement or thread discussing this? Do you mean the reaction of mods/owners that you've spoken to privately?
There's a thread called 'Change of ownership' in the 'Announcements/News' forum.

Reactions: KLS52
I've noticed that on Veggie Boards there are people coming up with posts like "interested in transitioning to vegetarianism" and the forum is so quiet they are getting little or no replies, whereas Vegan Forum and Veggie Views are not attracting as many as these posts even though the forums are more active.

I just noticed someone on there found some threads from June from people that came on there to make an introduction and no-one replied, which is kind of sad. The first reply is like 3 months later.

It would be nice to get some of those people to post here instead so we can integrate them into community and encourage them to go vegetarian or vegan. I'm sure this is easier said than done!!

It might be a good idea for 1 or 2 of us who are already members there but not regular posters to keep an eye on that forum and at the very least make sure that posts like "please help me" (for example) don't get completely ignored. If no-one replies to your post for some people that might create some negativity around the idea of veg*n and make people stay with/go back to meat!

Reactions: Amy SF
I've noticed that on Veggie Boards there are people coming up with posts like "interested in transitioning to vegetarianism" and the forum is so quiet they are getting little or no replies, whereas Vegan Forum and Veggie Views are not attracting as many as these posts even though the forums are more active.
If only I owned Veggie Boards as well!
It would be nice to get some of those people to post here instead so we can integrate them into community and encourage them to go vegetarian or vegan.
Yes! Yes!
It might be a good idea for 1 or 2 of us who are already members there but not regular posters to keep an eye on that forum and at the very least make sure that posts like "please help me" (for example) don't get completely ignored.
A nice thought, I like it! I'm considering getting an add-on that tracks "referrals" - so if members here, or more likely on the future united VV & VF, get someone else to sign up as members, then that is something for which the member will be receive "points". We all like points, right? :)

Reactions: Amy SF and Val
If only I owned Veggie Boards as well!

Yes! Yes!

A nice thought, I like it! I'm considering getting an add-on that tracks "referrals" - so if members here, or more likely on the future united VV & VF, get someone else to sign up as members, then that is something for which the member will be receive "points". We all like points, right? :)

I don’t know about anyone else, but I like points that I can eventually do something with. :smile: Perhaps we can have a point system in which if we earn enough points we get certain perks, TBD later.

Reactions: Second Summer
@raggle @Chryssie - I noticed your posts in the chat thread: You don't have to go over there already - the boards will be merged at some point (but it could still be several weeks still before I have the time and head space). But please feel free to have a look! Maybe sign up and see what you think? Also, if you think the colours, fonts and so on are terribly strange and unusual, then click the style chooser at the bottom of the pages - it's a little paintbrush icon next to the default style name which is "Default Green", and then choose "Vision". Then I hope you'll feel a little more at home ...! (The logo is only temporary - there will be a new logo at some point!) There will be more changes over there later on to make it even more like VV, but not right away.

I think this is a good idea. More people means more ideas, and a greater variety of conversations. 👍

I would caution against having a lifestyle label listed on each members account.

It has the potential to create a class system of sorts, a feeling of "us vs. them", cliques, etc.

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
Looks like we have our first test of dealing with a meat eater-meat farmer that is!

Maybe I sounded a bit harsh here. To clarify, if this turns into a discussion for and against meat eating and/or production, that would be against our rules. But if we're just discussing reasons why people go vegetarian, that is of course absolutely fine.
Meat farmer stated how they view animals and what they believe is humane treatment, and asked for our reasons to shun meat.
If we're to allow this kind of discussion we need to be aware of abuse, but shouldn't be too quick to judge.
I would hope you would isolate one forum for this kind of discussion to be allowed and not let omnis invade others
Felt awfully weird to be asked that from a meat eater here :hmm:

I understand the reasons for the merger, but I will miss the intimacy of this little group.

IS - Is there a way that you can keep the VV address just for the purpose of posting a note to direct people to the new site?

I'm thinking of people who are still members, but who haven't logged in in a long while, or people who stopped being members for one reason or another. I would hate it if someone came looking for us but couldn't find us. There are so many people I miss.

IS - Is there a way that you can keep the VV address just for the purpose of posting a note to direct people to the new site?

I'm thinking of people who are still members, but who haven't logged in in a long while, or people who stopped being members for one reason or another. I would hate it if someone came looking for us but couldn't find us. There are so many people I miss.
Yes, my plan is to keep the veggieviews.com domain, and maybe automatically redirect visitors to veganforum.org. Preferably, there should be a message there to explain, so yes, I'll try to include that.

Yes, my plan is to keep the veggieviews.com domain, and maybe automatically redirect visitors to veganforum.org. Preferably, there should be a message there to explain, so yes, I'll try to include that.
Thanks, IS!

I wish people would pop in to let us know they're alright. There are so many people wrt whom I don't know whether they are alive or dead.

So now I feel like I'm maintaining two different Poppy identities on two different sites, and I'm not sure that I'm being a genuine Poppy on either of them…does that make any sense? When do you expect the merger to take place so I can just be one Poppy again and not have to remember what I posted where? Lol. I'm having a hard time keeping track of my stories! :p

Reactions: hungryraccoon
I'm sorry this is taking forever. I think I will try to go ahead and do the migration, and then fix any issues later. I already know there will be issues with automatically redirecting from threads previously inside the veggieviews.com domain to their new location in veganforum.org. And also with 'reactions' (i.e. the special "likes"). But if I decide to try and sort that out in advance, I will just continue to postpone the whole process. That's just the psychology of it :( So, I'll see what I can do now, but there will inevitably be quite a lot of disruption.

• Wow
I know I don't pop in that often anymore but I just learned of this through an email. Progress is good. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
No disrespect, but "Boo!".

I stopped posting there over a decade ago when the admin, Korn, accused me of being in cahoots with the supplement industry for posting articles from vegan RDs on why B-12 supplements are necessary for vegans to safeguard their health.

Korn also accused me of spamming for posting links to upcoming vegan events like the NAVS Vegetarian Summerfest.

I hope that Korn is no longer the admin, that he grew up some more, or that he got the medication he needs.

I think that you've lost the plot........