Beans and Lectins

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
So why am I only hearing about lectins now? Someone mentioned that beans are bad for you because of the lectins, so she stopped eating them. Then her cholesterol, which is high to begin with, shot up 30 points. (Being a nutritionist, she eats pretty clean.) So she decided to ignore the bean hate and went back to eating them.

I was just surprised that it hadn’t come up before since I eat a lot of beans!
Lectin Content of Beans: High vs Low Lectin Varieties

Apparently, lectin is in pretty much everything.
List of Foods that Contain Lectin

She's read the Plant Paradox? :rolleyes:
Been debunked by doctors and researchers I trust- namely Dr Greger, Barnard, Furhman and Colin Campbell.
Been listening to Colin Campbell (China study) book "Whole", which is much better researched and comprehensive than china study. I had it on audio book for work, I have it on a waitlist at library.
‘The Plant Paradox’ by Steven Gundry MD– A Commentary

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
This came up in my newsfeed this morning.

I'm thinking its BS but I'm not sure.

anyone else care to weigh in/comment.

That website seems full of hyperbole.
Yes, beans need to be cooked or sprouted 🙄
Seems they're taking the specific quality of kidney beans and soy beans, and applying to all-

Raw kidney beans contain the toxin phytohemagglutinin and must be boiled for 10 minutes to destroy it. Phytohemagglutinin is not lethal by any means, but may cause gastrointestinal discomfort and symptoms similar to food poisoning. Always boil kidney beans for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer until cooked.

these beans should NOT be cooked in a slow cooker

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
How about a pressure cooker.? Specifically an InstantPot.

Well.....yes. Moreover an IP is also a pressure cooker.

Reactions: Emma JC
How about a pressure cooker.? Specifically an InstantPot.
Most definitely! Pressure cookers do come up to a rapid boil, and maintain it. If you release the pressure you will find the contents boiling.
I cook all beans in the IP, soaked or from dry

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
That website seems full of hyperbole.
Yes, beans need to be cooked or sprouted 🙄
Seems they're taking the specific quality of kidney beans and soy beans, and applying to all-

Raw kidney beans contain the toxin phytohemagglutinin and must be boiled for 10 minutes to destroy it. Phytohemagglutinin is not lethal by any means, but may cause gastrointestinal discomfort and symptoms similar to food poisoning. Always boil kidney beans for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer until cooked.

these beans should NOT be cooked in a slow cooker
This is the reason I decided to always boil @ max for 10 minutes no matter what type of beans I cook, and always use re-soaked raw dried beans, none of that canned stuff.

I once got stomach upset from red kidney beans before I started this, so whatever the issue was (phytohemagglutinin and/or lectins) I have that problem licked now.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Bump.

Tips for Cooking Beans.

Beans that float while soaking vs beans that float while cooking

Most of the information online dictates when cooking from dry after soaking, to remove floating beans from the soaking water, as they may be bad. However, there seems to me to be conflicting information about the beans that float as I begin cooking them. Maybe it is the same thing?

Today, I threw out the beans and bean pieces that floated in the soaking water. Then when I boiled, many more beans than usual floated and they had wrinkly skin as opposed to the smooth-skin beans that did not float. That's when I went online and found little to no, or conflicting, information. Then as I was reducing to simmer, all the beans sank again.

What is the consensus or peoples' opinions?

Maybe Tips for Cooking Beans should be its own thread.

I also find it difficult to time the adding of salt and other ingredients in order to get everything cooked but not overcooked at the end. Today my beans were overcooked. I often add other ingredients too late because I have in the past added salt too early which leaves beans hard.

Maybe Tips for Cooking Beans should be its own thread.

I also find it difficult to time the adding of salt and other ingredients in order to get everything cooked but not overcooked at the end. Today my beans were overcooked. I often add other ingredients too late because I have in the past added salt too early which leaves beans hard.

I don't think that we are in need of a seperate thread for cooking beans.
Here is a chart for tips 'how to soak and pressure cook beans'.
I personally prefer to buy low sodium tinned beans when possible. Aldi have the best black beans ever; texture and taste wise. However, I find that lentils taste far superior when made in an IP compared to shop bought ones.