Bastardized Food

I make both sweet and unsweet cornbread. Leftover sweet cornbread mixed with a blop of almond butter and some vanilla soya yogurt is YUM. It ,looks all gross (kinds like Eton mess) but it tastes divine.

I could never drink sweet ice tea when we lived in Louisiana but I can drink my weight in lebanese ice tea which has lemon, rosewater and pomegranite molasses in it. mmmmm....

Yum - cornbread with almond butter! (Although I do prefer regular, savory corn bread). Also, it's excellent with peach jam.

A lot of people bastardize poutine. It's supposed to be made with cheese CURDS, not mozza or cheddar shreds.

I miss poutine :p The best I can do is fries with vegan gravy now...

I could never drink sweet ice tea when we lived in Louisiana but I can drink my weight in lebanese ice tea which has lemon, rosewater and pomegranite molasses in it. mmmmm....

Yum, that sounds good!

I feel deprived. I have never had sweet cornbread or real cornbread that didn't come from a 35 cents Jiffy box. I loathe iced tea so I wouldn't be able to tell the real stuff from the wannabe stuff.

Tamales. I'm sure they're tasty and all, but sweet potatoes? Kale?Pumpkin? Portobello mushrooms?It 'aint right. It just 'aint right. Of course the recipe has to be changed quite a bit to veganize them,but they're supposed to be spicy and savory,with all that lovely chili gravy on top.

What would you call it? That's just the name it was given by whoever created the original recipe. I'm open to a better suggestion.

That's another thing: yankees put sugar in everything, not just cornbread. You don't put sugar in grits either! Philistines!

That's another thing: yankees put sugar in everything, not just cornbread. You don't put sugar in grits either! Philistines!
Ewww!! I had grits for the first time when I was driving down to Florida. We stopped at a little hole in the wall cafe and when I ordered grits they suggested butter and sugar. :spew: I opted for butter, salt and pepper. Nt sure what Southerners use but I liked it with salt and pepper.

Yes, that's what southerners typically use, sometimes cheese too.

I thought of another one (and this one is my fault :lol: ). My boyfriend is from Central NY. Their local dish is something call salt potatoes. You can buy them in paper bags with chunks of salt, ready to throw in. We try to make them down here, but the boy claims that the new potatoes we can find here aren't as small or tender as the official "salt potato" potatoes. He also claims that Syracuse salt is "less salty" than regular grocery store kosher salt. So I use half the salt usually called for (1 cup salt to 6 cups water). The traditional way to serve them is with melted butter and that's it, but I like to jazz mine up with some herbs and sour cream. The boy says I should never let his family catch me eating them like that. :p