Are lead counterbalances safe?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
I have found a few lead wheel counterbalances on the road, and I guess they must come loose and fly off sometimes.
If they fly off, then they will be travelling the same speed as the car, roughly......is that safe?

edit: I suppose that it depends on which way they fly off....if they fly off in the direction of the car, they would be travelling twice as fast as the car.

I have found a few lead wheel counterbalances on the road, and I guess they must come loose and fly off sometimes.
If they fly off, then they will be travelling the same speed as the car, roughly......is that safe?

edit: I suppose that it depends on which way they fly off....if they fly off in the direction of the car, they would be travelling twice as fast as the car.

I see them everywhere over here. They are very lightweight and I've never seen them damage anything or injure anyone.

It's just a matter of probability. I guess they are thrown along the direction of travel, but if it was on a bend, then they could fly into someone on the pavement, or maybe a cyclist. It surely must have happened....

counterweights(or whatever) are bits of metal(eg lead) that are added to wheels to make them balanced so that they spin more smoothly,with less shake. They are added to the rim.

here's a picture:
wheel-weight.jpg

Reactions: ledboots
Probably safer than the average car, considering how many people vehicles injure and kill each year.