Any knitters out there?

Knitted pear! Part I of my fruit basket:
8fa867945eb4de106f2498aac5d22b53.jpg

I just started on an orange and I want to do an apple, too.

Do people use online patterns or ones from books? I'm trying to knit a christmas tree decoration now... I'm trying to look for some patterns I'd like to knit with the right amount of challenge in them... I can do knit and purl stitches but I've never done a pattern, I can do patterns with colour though, and I can increase/decrease ... I want something new but not something overwhelming. I'd like to do a hat but I don't have a circular needle. Any ideas?

Yay pear! I crocheted a pear a while ago. I dont have a pic but it looked like this: http://bama.ua.edu/~abfaulkner/crochet 9.jpg (everything looks awesome with eyes on it)

Re: Patterns. I tend to get most of mine online, and print them if needed. Its just easier and books tend to be expensive and only have so many patterns. I've only once paid for a pattern, of mickey mouse - too hard to do alone and no free patterns. It was for a present so that was ok. and, by the way, hardest thing Ive ever crocheted!

My first ever proper knitted thing was a hat. http://www.kittyville.com/knit/kitty_hat.html this one. I did use a circular needle for it, the'yre only a few quid so worth investing in. Knitting in the round on DPNs is HARD (and the reason I took up crochet) and I dont think a hat would look right if it had a seam

www.knitty.com is good for patterns that are more unique. they grade them by difficulty.

Thanks Liz, I saw a really nice hat on knitty.com so I think I'll have to invest in a circular needle :)

Scorpius those fruits look great! :D

After months of knitting a blanket, I'm knitting little things now for a bit :p I have some red and white cotton so despite being August I'm knitting Christmas decorations... I did some little red hearts to practice increasing/decreasing and stocking stitch, and today I knit a tiny stocking to hang on the Christmas tree. (Except I just plait the wool in the loop because I wanted a daintier loop)

DSCF7846.JPG

I want to try a fair isle pattern on the next one :) I found this pattern online.

Hmmm I want to knit a seriously simple jumper. I bought one the other day (from fat face), that is basically a big rectangle with sleeves, no shoulders/collar/etc. Does anybody know of any patterns for this, or even what it's called so that I can google it?

42801_u_l.jpg

Picture from here.

Reactions: Everleigh
My mom knits, and she calls that fisherman's knit or cable knit stitching I think. Cute sweater/jumper! :)

Eta: Like these ?
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/06/aran-sweater-design/

Yeah I love that pattern :) But I wanted a name for the shape of the jumper (i.e. a kinda big rectangle with sleeves) because it's so simple and I'm a novice knitter! Thanks though, I love that fisherman's knit, I'll save it for when I'm more experienced!

Reactions: ledboots
DONT HATE ME for posting crochet in here. but it's all yarn right?!

Anyway I made a baby. For my sister - who has called it Honey Boo Boo

5gjs.jpg

The body/head was easy without a pattern but boy do I suck at clothes.

OMG how adorable! I love this and the name! You do not suck at clothes. The dress is perfect. Have you considered selling your creations?

Aww thanks you two :)
Ive briefly thought of selling, but I'm not sure how many people will buy things I make. I think by the time I buy the materials and put the time into it, it wouldnt be worth it. For the price I'd need to charge noone would buy - they can just go get a toy in a shop for less. I know someone who tried selling knitted baby clothes and found that people would rather go to Primark. I have thought about getting good at and selling patterns though. I'd only have to do it once and could resell it haha

That's adorable :) I want to learn to crochet so that I can do this:
happypotamus2_1.png

(http://www.onebadassmother.com/badasscontent/uploads/happypotamus2_1.png)

I think if you use cheap yarn (say acrylic) and choose your knits wisely (i.e. small things that don't use a lot of yarn) you could make money, especially if you sold them at a craft fair/somewhere where people are willing to pay extra for handmade goods. I think gloves, decorative items, ipod socks, key-rings would work well. Maybe small toys, but people might then also worry about the safety of something homemade by a stranger.

I really want a crochet blanket, there are lots of handmade ones on ebay, but I almost feel bad because all that time they spend and surely they're working at a loss half of the time. I know when I knit a blanket it cost £50 in wool, and you can buy something similar for £50 in the shops. There are some beautiful bedspreads for about £50, so even in acyrlic, they're only going to be getting what? £15 for their time, effort and profit max?

I think if you use cheap yarn (say acrylic) and choose your knits wisely (i.e. small things that don't use a lot of yarn) you could make money, especially if you sold them at a craft fair/somewhere where people are willing to pay extra for handmade goods. I think gloves, decorative items, ipod socks, key-rings would work well.

^This! There are always craft fairs around here and things like that sell like crazy! Hell one crafter is always very successful selling her homemade reusable fabric menstrual pads.