Mooki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
i have some warburtons potato cakes here and I'm unsure if they are vegan or not any ideas? It has E475 which could be animal fat or plant based...:p Also anybody have any good meal ideas (vegan).

Lentils and rice! With a little flax seed on top.

What sort of food do you want? Try this:
Veggie Burger
1 bap per person
1 veggie burger
1 thick slice of onion
1 thick slice of iceberg lettuce
1 thick slice of beef tomato
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
tomato ketchup or mild mustard or pickle

Fry onion and burger(s). Keep the onions in 1 slice.
Open bap(s) and stack ingredients on the base
Add tomato sauce or mustard etc.
NB All the layers on the burger should be at least 1 cm or 1/2" thick
Tip: Could add chips to make a main course.
Beef tomatoes are the very biggest tomatoes you can buy. Typically they would be 4" across.

Last edited:
Tip: Could add ...edited out... and chips to make a main course.
Hi Mark,

Umm…. Somewhat provocative. Don’t you think it might be a good idea to edit out the “crime against veganism” bit in your otherwise very appetising suggestion? :)

Roger.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Umm…. Somewhat provocative. Don’t you think it might be a good idea to edit out the “crime against veganism” bit in your otherwise very appetising suggestion? :)

Roger.
Ooops! I have this recipe on my computer from the days when I was vegetarian and should have read it more carefully before posting. In fact even when I was vegetarian I never put the offending item in the recipe.
Thanks for pointing that out, Roger. Of course the offending item is still there in your quotation from my post. Feel free to make any amendment you choose.

Last edited:
Tip: Could add chips to make a main course.

Mark and I are compatriots and chips are a staple for many Brits. For anyone looking for something equally traditional to accompany them here is a suggestion from my very special corner of the country: Pease pudding known colloquially as peas pudden.

“Real” pease pudding uses yellow split peas with onion and carrot. Absolutely great, but not to be recommended with chips because there is no colour contrast on the plate.

Instead you can use dried green peas with finely chopped leek leaves. If you want to be really adventurous try also adding some finely chopped curly kale.

I hate to see any kind of waste and supermarket bought leeks normally have had the tops discarded. We grow our own but you may be able to buy complete leeks from a small trader or you could chat up a gardening enthusiast!

Recipe: Place dried peas in pan. Add some bicarb. Cover with boiling water and leave to soak overnight. (This softens the peas.) Rinse very, very thoroughly and drain off. Put a little oil in a large pan and sauté the finely chopped leaves on a low heat. Add the peas and just cover with water. Add salt and pepper to taste and perhaps a bay leaf. Cook for an hour or two, occasionally stirring, until the peas have broken up.

It isn’t a dish easily prepared on a small scale. It is well worth making a reasonable quantity which is then divided into small portions to be frozen ready for micro-waving just as the chips are ready to brown.

On being served the recitation of the nursery rhyme is an optional extra. :)

Roger.