Spirituality Abiogenesis and the virgin birth

How do people know that DNA is all that is needed?

Because we know how DNA works. Through science.

Maybe digestion requires a psychic field to function. I mean, we know how digestion works pretty much, but what if it requires something more? Maybe all we know about this complex biological process right now is just painfully inadequate to describe the real wonders going on. No evidence for this, of course, but it's probably true because I said.

Because we know how DNA works. Through science.

Yes they know some of how it works. I doubt they are sure how DNA can produce the end organism though....basically neither of us really know,.....if they know all the details that lead DNA to become an end organism, then obviously Sheldrake's claims are pointless. Why would he bother making those claims, if they already know how it works? And surely his claims would be simple to refute. He's not claiming the morphic fields play a minor roll, he is saying they do most of the structural work.

Last edited:
you know how small an atom is, and that DNA is on that order of size.....do you really think they know how DNA processes translate to the building of something as big as a cell? Let alone larger structures that are made by cells.

I say we wait until we can model organism growth in computers. But there are around 10^23 atoms per gram of matter, so that might require quite a lot of computer power.

According to an estimate made by engineers at Washington University, there are around 10^14 atoms in a typical human cell.

I guess we might have to start modelling a single cell.

Last edited:
Okay, I don't actually know enough about DNA to be able to conclusively say that there aren't morphic fields at work.

You caught me. I admit.

I also don't know how planes work in their entirety, so I can't guarantee that they aren't powered partially through ghost magic, so...

well, you should question things in science, but I think aerodynamics is a bit less complex than biology, is better understood, and can be modelled on computers.

I don't know jack about morphic fields, but I can tell you that science is just scratching the surface of knowledge of dna. More and more discoveries are being made all the time since they mapped the human genome.

Reactions: Blobbenstein