A well rounded discussion?

How do we know which group someone belongs too though? I get the impression some on here have me in the wrong group.

I made a comment once years ago elsewhere that I avoid Walmart because of the way they treat employees and someone responded back "must be nice to be rich enough to not shop at Walmart." Me, rich? When did that happen and why didn't anyone tell me? And for what it's worth, Walmart often doesn't have the best prices anyway. Off topic I know. :p
Rich because you refuse to shop at walmart? :confused: I'm hardly rich, every item of clothing I own (except underwear) is from a thrift store. I also avoid them for their disgusting lack of ethics, plus their stuff is all junk.

People from within those groups will not be without bias however.

In exactly the same way that bigots are blind to their own bigotry and hypocrites blind to their own hypocrisy the biased are blind to their own bias.

Totaly useless observation that, mind.

It only ends up in a pantominesque (there's another perfectly good word they missed out of every dictionary) 'chuck the same brick back and forward' competition.

I'll vouch for this. Indian Summer is very computer/IT savvy.
I don't doubt it.

The fact remains that there are limits to what can be determined online, while there are very few/no limits to the information that can be manufactured online.

I recall quite a few people who took a fond vegan uncle at his word. It took a real life arrest for pedophilia to open some eyes.

On another board recently, someone had manufactured the existence of a family, over a period of years, only to be able to revel in an outpouring of sympathy when a sudden terrible tragedy befell that family. The members of the board who had formed offline friendships with the individual in question (some having even met the individual in person) refused to believe they had been scammed until the individual finally confessed to having manufactured the whole thing.

On any given discussion board, there are probably several members at any given time who are playing the rest at any given time.

Last edited:
I register a new account at least once a month, with the intent on winning every debate by 2016.

I recall quite a few people who took a fond vegan uncle at his word. It took a real life arrest for pedophilia to open some eyes.

He always did seem a bit odd to me. But him being a sick perv wouldn't show up on an IT search for ISP addresses, or whatever they look for in determining who has multiple accounts.

He always did seem a bit odd to me. But him being a sick perv wouldn't show up on an IT search for ISP addresses, or whatever they look for in determining who has multiple accounts.

There are actually businesses that will provide you with an ISP address in whatever location and country you wish. You don't have to be computer savy, you just have to pay a small monthly fee.

Getting back on topic. A well rounded discussion needs at least two opposing views, there is no way around it. I have seen many "preaching to the choir" discussions. They don't last long.

If you can't handle an opposing view without getting vindictive, angry or upset, then it's just best not to participate.

Here is a reminder of the relevant rules:

The Debate & Current Events forum (DCE) is a place for opposing views. Sometimes opposing views unavoidably come with strong emotions. Therefore, please be warned that discussions can get heated, and your views will probably be challenged, sometimes vehemently.
Still, this is not intended as a place to vent or wage wars; it is intended as a place to rationally discuss topics of interest. So if you feel yourself getting upset by a comment, then take a step back and post later.

Isn't it kind of inevitable that, at some point, unless one of the participants changes his view/opinion that the discussion will just go round and round with each participant reiterating their view again and again just with different words? Is there supposed to be a winner/loser? Sometimes you just get tired or bored with the discussion. I'm not sure I understand the appeal of debating unless you are trying to get the other person to agree with your side.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing", as Lord Vader would have put it. The VV mod team is not a bunch of total amateurs.

Meh, you still haven't caught on that everyone except yourself are just my alts. ;) Yes, every single poster. It's one of those new in situ performance art pieces. :p

Anyways, back on topic, it seems a lot of people are rather fond of their ideas, and don't like them being challenged.

Isn't it kind of inevitable that, at some point, unless one of the participants changes his view/opinion that the discussion will just go round and round with each participant reiterating their view again and again just with different words? Is there supposed to be a winner/loser? Sometimes you just get tired or bored with the discussion. I'm not sure I understand the appeal of debating unless you are trying to get the other person to agree with your side.

I do agree that it gets boring on a small board like this. It becomes entirely predictable as to who will say what.

Anyways, back on topic, it seems a lot of people are rather fond of their ideas, and don't like them being challenged.

IOW, "If someone gets irritated by discussions that go in circles, or people being sexist, racist or otherwise bigoted, let's dismiss them by saying they don't like their ideas being challenged."

I would posit that that is the attitude of an individual who is rather fond of his ideas. At the very least, it's extraordinarily patronizing.

Last edited:
There are actually businesses that will provide you with an ISP address in whatever location and country you wish. You don't have to be computer savy, you just have to pay a small monthly fee.

I may have to look into this

I do it mainly because it breaks up my boring time at work. :p

I may have to look into this

I came across it when I was looking into the possibility of getting online BBC programming outside of GB for a relative who loves BBC programs. One way to do it is to "rent" a British ISP address (or a German one if you want German programming, etc.)

Hah thought I deleted that part. I was going to make some remark about creating multiple IDs to keep the mod team from getting bored. But I'm not really going to do that. Too much trouble. :p