A well rounded discussion?

MOD POST
I would like to address a couple of the points raised in this thread:
1. VV has an absolute rule against having multiple accounts. If you suspect someone of not honoring this rule, then report it. Don't make accusations of having multiple accounts against other members as a way to damage their standing.
2. Whenever there are suspicions of someone having multiple accounts, the mod team will investigate it. We have tools to discover such issues.
3. Ann Chovie and Clueless Git are two distinct people. Believe me, we have checked.

On this basis, i would appreciate if further such insinuations are avoided.

So .. We have now played

" your posts cannot be understood as they have grammatical errors/ spelling mistakes (delete as appropriate)

And the " you have two usernames but are actually the same person" game.

Are we now moving onto the " you have fabricated this account of your personal experience . You have not lived this life at all" game?

It's just that in my "experience" that game comes next and I wanted to get in first.

As a person of privilege, I've found that it's best to listen rather than demand a seat at the table.

Yes, I think people should stop and think before they make comments if they are speaking from a position of privilege when they are making remarks about a certain community.

Although I think people should be able to give their opinion even if they are not a member of the group they are discussing as I think it's important people are able to debate and hopefully learn or share information.

CG and Ann Chovie seem like different people to me.

They seem different to me just from the amount of detail they have given about their jobs and they don't have the same posting style, to me anyway.

I'm on another forum where you can have multiple identities if a person is a well known poster and wants to post a thread about something more personal they can do it under a new username. Nothing to do with anything really, just a random observation about rules on different forums.:p

CG and Ann Chovie seem like different people to me.

If you can find the picture of us together in the user picture thread, Blobbers: I'm the incredibly attractive one.

They seem different to me just from the amount of detail they have given about their jobs and they don't have the same posting style, to me anyway.

To the degree that I would be very worried if anyone thought there was ever any genuine 'confusion' at all.

Last edited:
Yes, I think people should stop and think before they make comments if they are speaking from a position of privilege when they are making remarks about a certain community.

Although I think people should be able to give their opinion even if they are not a member of the group they are discussing as I think it's important people are able to debate and hopefully learn or share information.

Agreed.

It's a lot like me thinking I know more about physics than a physicist, or someone who has never experienced the death of a loved one trying to tell the lone survivor of a car accident how she should feel after losing her whole family in one fell swoop. There is much that can be learned from a discussion, but the levels of understanding/knowledge that each brings to the conversation are quite different.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with this.

I think that everybody can contribute towards a discussion/etc, and form their own opinions - even if that discussion is about a group they don't belong to. But some groups of people are talked about, discussed and made decisions for without anybody of that group of people having any input. Something which I believe lead to the "nothing about us, without us" motto of some disability rights movements. On a smaller, personal, scale, I think a similar thing applies - if you're not part of a group, I think it makes sense, and is more polite, thoughtful and helpful, to do more listening than talking. If you're doing more talking than listening - you might well be doing more harm than good, even if your intentions are good.

People from within those groups will not be without bias however.

So .. We have now played

" your posts cannot be understood as they have grammatical errors/ spelling mistakes (delete as appropriate)

And the " you have two usernames but are actually the same person" game.

Are we now moving onto the " you have fabricated this account of your personal experience . You have not lived this life at all" game?

It's just that in my "experience" that game comes next and I wanted to get in first

Too late. I was already accused of this so that makes me first. :p There's room for you though. You can play on my team.

I never got the impression you two were the same person either. If so, then someone needs to go into acting because they're very good at it. Usually when someone tries to pull that off it's pretty obvious.

I agree with this.

I think that everybody can contribute towards a discussion/etc, and form their own opinions - even if that discussion is about a group they don't belong to. But some groups of people are talked about, discussed and made decisions for without anybody of that group of people having any input. Something which I believe lead to the "nothing about us, without us" motto of some disability rights movements. On a smaller, personal, scale, I think a similar thing applies - if you're not part of a group, I think it makes sense, and is more polite, thoughtful and helpful, to do more listening than talking. If you're doing more talking than listening - you might well be doing more harm than good, even if your intentions are good.

How do we know which group someone belongs too though? I get the impression some on here have me in the wrong group.

I made a comment once years ago elsewhere that I avoid Walmart because of the way they treat employees and someone responded back "must be nice to be rich enough to not shop at Walmart." Me, rich? When did that happen and why didn't anyone tell me? And for what it's worth, Walmart often doesn't have the best prices anyway. Off topic I know. :p

Last edited:
I made a comment once years ago elsewhere that I avoid Walmart because of the way they treat employees and someone responded back "must be nice to be rich enough to not shop at Walmart." Me, rich? When did that happen and why didn't anyone tell me? And for what it's worth, Walmart often doesn't have the best prices anyway. Off topic I know. :p

Which reminds me of a comment I made years ago . Everything is relative. :p

How do we know which group someone belongs too though? I get the impression here with the fury I've inspired that some think I'm rolling in money and looking down on poor, single moms, for example.

Hmm, I guess I was thinking more from a self point of view - thinking about when it's appropriate for you to listen more than talk yourself, rather than stopping other people from talking.

If it's about making a decision about other peoples lives - say in parliament - than I think it's appropriate for somebody to say "hey, how many people from this group have you actually spoken to, consulted, listened to, asked?". But on a forum, or everyday conversation, you're unlikely to know (even for people you know well, or things you might think are obvious, you don't necessarily know).