A well rounded discussion?

Ann Chovie

Ploughing my own furrow
Reaction score
If a debate on race/ class/feninism/disability/ poverty etc etc can only be populated by those directly experiencing discrimination and lack of privilege because if the group they are in

And those not in one of those groups have their views discounted because we are not black/white/working class/female /disabled/ living in poverty and cannot " know how it feels "

Then you wind up with no debate at all but rather reinforcement and validation of existing views .

And all the choir are left singing from the same hymn sheet without ever turning the page to see what other songs there are to sing.

That kind if makes the word " debate" mute doesn't it?

Reactions: Wolfie
It's never stopped anyone before. Saying "Oh I can't talk because these people say I can't talk" doesn't make it true that someone saying what you are saying is inane and offensive actually physically hampers you from communicating.

What you are saying is inane and baseless. I'm saying that because of what you are saying, not because you are personally a privileged person.

Debate away.

Reactions: Mischief
Yup, if I whined every time someone told me I don't know what I'm talking about, there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of whining threads started by me all over the internetz.

Yup, if I whined every time someone told me I don't know what I'm talking about, there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of whining threads started by me all over the internetz.

Don't do whine mischief. Or sarcasm or personal attack.

I think that on most forums there is agreement on many topics, since similar people tend to populate similar forums.

Someone with opposite views on topics like religion, race, gender issues, etc is going to feel ganged up on. Some people seem to like it, others just avoid those topics.

A calm debate is rare imo.

It's never stopped anyone before. Saying "Oh I can't talk because these people say I can't talk" doesn't make it true that someone saying what you are saying is inane and offensive actually physically hampers you from communicating.

What you are saying is inane and baseless. I'm saying that because of what you are saying, not because you are personally a privileged person.

Debate away.

More a case of .. If what is said is not what the majority are saying then the majority will rapidly move in to discredit the post and or the poster

More a case of .. If what is said is not what the majority are saying then the majority will rapidly move in to discredit the post and or the poster

Nope. If what is said is complete and utter misogynistic ******** coming from a known misogynistic then people are gonna get all up in said misogynist's grill about it. Again.

Reactions: Mischief
As best as I can decipher, yes.

Doesn't need much deciphering really.

I simply said that I do not whine, use sarcasm or personal attacks....I don't recall mentioning anyone else.

Is this maybe a case of she said ABC but what I chose to hear was DEF?

Then you wind up with no debate at all but rather reinforcement and validation of existing views

Yes, views that have been ignored are validated, finally.

And all the choir are left singing from the same hymn sheet without ever turning the page to see what other songs there are to sing.

That kind if makes the word " debate" mute doesn't it?

No, because people with beliefs like yours will continue to respond and make a mess of things that really aren't theirs.

Yes, views that have been ignored are validated, finally.

No, because people with beliefs like yours will continue to respond and make a mess of things that really aren't theirs.

But the fact that something is in the debate forum means it's open to debate, doesn't it? If it's not open for debate, put it in one of the support forums.

Reactions: Clueless Git
Doesn't need much deciphering really.

I simply said that I do not whine, use sarcasm or personal attacks....I don't recall mentioning anyone else.

Is this maybe a case of she said ABC but what I chose to hear was DEF?

I generally feel as though Clueless Git and you speak a language other than English, or maybe it's your own special form of English? I know some kids who have especially close relationships develop and use their own special language for a while.

"Don't do ....", for example, is in the imperative, addressed from one person to another. If you're talking about yourself, the first person singular is used.

ETA: Oh, yes, I do use sarcasm, and I hardly ever disguise when I despise someone. I actively despise few people though. I'd say I whine less than your average human.

Last edited:
I definitely agree to the right to express oneself and for members to have a well rounded discussion, even if the views expressed are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

What I dont approve of is when members create more than one forum ID to bolster their views, and they pretend to be a different person. That really isnt playing fair. I prefer it when a person is just there as themself, debating their side. It is something I have seen on debate boards (i have belonged to different forums since 2003 and have seen it on a few occasions). It is really stupid and a silly way to act during a debate. I mean, being two different people! It is very odd and questionable when I see it.

Last edited:
What I dont approve of is when members create more than one forum ID to bolster their views, and they pretend to be a different person. That really isnt playing fair. I prefer it when a person is just there as themself, debating their side. It is something I have seen on debate boards (i have belonged to different forums since 2003 and have seen it on a few occasions). It is really stupid and a silly way to act during a debate. I mean, being two different people! It is very odd and questionable when I see it.

I've seen a surprising number of incidents of this also. I don't think of it as "unfair", though, but rather as pathetic. I do think it goes hand in hand with some underlying personality disorder.

As a person of privilege, I've found that it's best to listen rather than demand a seat at the table.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I generally feel as though Clueless Git and you speak a language other than English,.

Well for my part.. I have a basic command of Welsh which would be sufficient to get me to a railway station and order a coffee. I am also one of the few lucky enough to have been taught a smattering of the international language Esperanto.