US A Florida Man....

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I use the Google News Reader. I've used other news readers but this one really works well. I've customized mine* but also it learns about the news you like. For instance if you click on news stories about coffee a lot it presents to you more news stories about coffee.

late night comedians have made jokes about A Florida Man. Last Week Tonight and the Daily Show both have had long segments on A Florida Man. I always thought it was just a joke. However, lately a day doesn't go by that I don't get a headline in my reader starting with A Florida Man**. Now that Florida has Gaetz, Greenberg, and Piney Point I may be clicking on more Florida based articles***. Or maybe there just really is a lot of bad/sad or funny Florida news.

I know some of you guys live in Florida. I actually like Florida. My parents retired there and while they were alive I went there every year on my vacation. So I'm not picking on Florida. but what do you guys think? is it just my news reader? or is A Florida Man a real phenomenon?

* I've customized my news reader to look for local news, vegan news, 49er news and Netflix news.

** Today was different. It was a Florida Woman who was sentenced for coughing on a cancer patient

*** of Gaetz, Greenberg, and Piney Point - which one is the biggest disaster? :)

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
OK. now this...

A Florida woman who claimed she was Harry Potter has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run crash that killed a federal judge and injured a six-year-old boy, authorities said.

My wife's comment: One would have thought she could have magiced herself out of that.
:rolleyes:

Chryssie

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I live in Florida and I love it here but there are way too many idiots! :D Once that "Florida man" thing started, it became a trend and now the media jumps on anything slightly out of the ordinary happening in Florida!

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I'm still not sure that my News Reader isn't partially to blame. These stories are getting national coverage - for the most part my feeder isn't picking up this stuff from the Miami Herald or the Sun-Sentinel. I'm assuming that three are plenty of weird-*** stories that happened, and got some national exposure, that my feeder does not display.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Saw this in my NewsFeed yesterday but hadn't realized that this was in Florida. Although the villain of the story is a Florida Man, the hero is a Florida Girl.

I was never a fan of Law and Order SVU. Can't stand Stabler. But L&O is one of my guilty pleasures.
Although... come to think of it.... is binge watching SVU with your daughter a good idea?
Well, it was in this case.

If this was an episode of SVU, Stabler would have arrested the good guy black neighbor and asked questions later. Come to think of it... this is The South... He probably was arrested.

Doorbell videos are the best crime fighting device. Probably a lot more important than the Blue Slime.

• Wow
Reactions: Indian Summer