Where does our food come from?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

I just read this article (with my morning coffee) and my poor little stimulus starved mind went into like a dozen different directions.

What the article is about is that Microsoft and Starbucks have teamed up to provide info to the customer about where the coffee came from. The article references a Bloomberg news article. I couldn't read it because it is behind a paywall and I have already reached my limit of free articles this month. Maybe next month. But a google search provided me with a dozen or more articles about how this works. But I have yet to see for myself what it will look like.

Do any of you have this option? I think Italians may already be able to check this out.

Anyway, like the author, my mind can envision some "disturbing possibilities". Starbucks tells us that its coffee growers are paid a living wage. But what if we can see for ourselves the living and working conditions of a Starbucks coffee farmer? What if a coffee drinker gets a good look at the deforestation and abandoned plantations that are the just some of the byproducts of coffee growing?

what about the other ingredients that go into a coffee drink. Dairy farms? Sugar plantations? Or as the author suggested What if other food companies embrace this technology?

Reactions: Emma JC