EU 3 yrs vegan man here-Sometimes reconsidering..

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi. I've been a vegan now over 3 years and I have, at times, my doubts. My wife and I just had our 1st child (we're both vegan) and the negative feedback we get from both of our parents really sux. Plus, im just getting tired (in general) of being judged about being a vegan and this lifestyle. I'm strictly a vegan for the animals/ethics. That's the only reason, but after all that is happening in my life (having a kid), the remarks/judging is even worse lately, I'm just growing tired of other peoples comments. I cant even imagine how bad this would be in the future, raising our son vegan. I'm sure it'll get to the point of people even yelling at us, heavily judging us. So at times, i am actually and sadly reconsidering this life i've chosen. I would feel so awful quitting but I'm just growing tired :(

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I am sorry you are having such an awful time with judgmental people. It can be overwhelming and difficult to forge a path that goes against the norm, but you are doing the right thing for the animals. Family and peer pressure can be daunting. And parents can be a pain when it comes to their "suggestions" about how you are raising your children. But the bottom line is that you and your wife are the parents of your child, not your parents or in-laws.

I still get flak from my family sometimes, mostly "good-natured" ribbing from my brothers, who just don't understand why I won't eat the deer they kill every year. :( I have explained my stance many times, but they just don't get it. I try to just let it roll off my back because they are good people otherwise (nobody's perfect, right?).

Try to think of the many positives that come with going vegan (you're not contributing to the murder of animals to satisfy your taste buds; it can be a healthier diet if done properly; you get to expand your menu with so many options that don't involve dead flesh; your mind and body will be happier knowing you aren't contributing to the needless slaughter of animals -- I could go on and on :) ), and maybe watch or rewatch films that address vegan ethics, such as Meet Your Meat or Earthlings. Honesty, I couldn't get through Earthlings because I cried so much. I also try to remember that when this path gets difficult, I have a choice, but the animals don't. They are at our mercy, and I choose the least harm possible.

Hi. I've been a vegan now over 3 years and I have, at times, my doubts. My wife and I just had our 1st child (we're both vegan) and the negative feedback we get from both of our parents really sux. Plus, im just getting tired (in general) of being judged about being a vegan and this lifestyle. I'm strictly a vegan for the animals/ethics. That's the only reason, but after all this happening (having a kid), it's even a bit more lately, I'm just growing tired of other peoples remarks. I cant even imagine how bad this would be in the future, raising our son vegan. I'm sure it'll get to the point of people even yelling at us, heavily judging us. So at times, i am actually and sadly reconsidering this life i've chosen. I would feel so awful quitting but I'm just growing tired :(
I'm for the animals/ethics first and foremost, but I am acutely aware that eating whole food plant based is the healthiest diet
Try changing your avatar to a vegan bodybuilder!

I completely understand the having a kid part. Mine are grown now, but when I got pregnant I was vegetarian, and went back to eating meat and dairy then. Of course I regretted that, but it so much harder when you have people criticizing your decisions who only mean well

Don't give up! Just try and stay on the down low!

I am sorry you are having such an awful time with judgmental people. It can be overwhelming and difficult to forge a path that goes against the norm, but you are doing the right thing for the animals. Family and peer pressure can be daunting. And parents can be a pain when it comes to their "suggestions" about how you are raising your children. But the bottom line is that you and your wife are the parents of your child, not your parents or in-laws.

I still get flak from my family sometimes, mostly "good-natured" ribbing from my brothers, who just don't understand why I won't eat the deer they kill every year. :( I have explained my stance many times, but they just don't get it. I try to just let it roll off my back because they are good people otherwise (nobody's perfect, right?).

Try to think of the many positives that come with going vegan (you're not contributing to the murder of animals to satisfy your taste buds; it can be a healthier diet if done properly; you get to expand your menu with so many options that don't involve dead flesh; your mind and body will be happier knowing you aren't contributing to the needless slaughter of animals -- I could go on and on :) ), and maybe watch or rewatch films that address vegan ethics, such as Meet Your Meat or Earthlings. Honesty, I couldn't get through Earthlings because I cried so much. I also try to remember that when this path gets difficult, I have a choice, but the animals don't. They are at our mercy, and I choose the least harm possible.
Thank you for the reply. I just have to keep on moving forward, somehow..

I'm for the animals/ethics first and foremost, but I am acutely aware that eating whole food plant based is the healthiest diet
Try changing your avatar to a vegan bodybuilder!

I completely understand the having a kid part. Mine are grown now, but when I got pregnant I was vegetarian, and went back to eating meat and dairy then. Of course I regretted that, but it so much harder when you have people criticizing your decisions who only mean well

Don't give up! Just try and stay on the down low!
Doing my best to stay on course! Thx..

one of the ways that I stay on course is by watching vegan youtubers - even the ones that don't just do recipe videos it helps me to remember that I am not alone

also being on this forum and seeing what everyone is eating helps a lot and seeing their ways of dealing with issues - plus reading the Plant Based/Vegan news on a regular basis helps to remind us me that a shift is taking place

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hi. I've been a vegan now over 3 years and I have, at times, my doubts. My wife and I just had our 1st child (we're both vegan) and the negative feedback we get from both of our parents really sux. Plus, im just getting tired (in general) of being judged about being a vegan and this lifestyle. I'm strictly a vegan for the animals/ethics. That's the only reason, but after all this happening (having a kid), it's even a bit more lately, I'm just growing tired of other peoples remarks. I cant even imagine how bad this would be in the future, raising our son vegan. I'm sure it'll get to the point of people even yelling at us, heavily judging us. So at times, i am actually and sadly reconsidering this life i've chosen. I would feel so awful quitting but I'm just growing tired :(

Right. So just give in. That's what most of humanity does. They lack the balls to stand up to parents, friends, etc because mostly what they crave in life is human approval and acceptance. You created a child - as a vegan - with a vegan partner - and despite this seeming miracle in the eyes of non-vegan critics, they still have the gall to question your lifestyle as if it's something "lesser" than theirs.

Shove their willful ignorance right back in their faces. If your union, as a vegan, with a vegan, were somehow defunct, would it not end in some sort of failure for the child...or even the possibility of pro-creation? Remind them that no animal products were needed to continue human life, and as this is the case, why would any be needed now that life has been manifested?

If your doubts are predicated on human approval, then I would re-examine your priorities.

Reactions: Humble Carrot
Strong willed individuals understand that doing the right thing always comes with its challenges. The Vegan lifestyle is a heroic one. Vegans choose not to contribute to the murder, imprisonment, and torture of sentient beings. Vegans choose not to contribute to the ongoing destruction of this beautiful planet.

Have you seen any documentaries concerning animal agriculture? According to scientists, if animal agriculture does not cease, we have 30-50 years left before this planet will not be able to sustain life. Let that sink in. If we do not stop animal agriculture, there will be NO future for ANY OF US.

I'm not trying to be insensitive to your situation. However, please look at the big picture. Insults and judgment from others should be the least of your worries.

I've been Vegetarian/Vegan (now full time Vegan) since 2008. What the uninformed have to say about my Vegan lifestyle has no effect on me. I don't need to conform to meat eating (unevolved) peers. I don't want to make my stomach a grave yard for animals. I know who I am and I know what I stand for.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Maybe I'm just stubborn but I don't consider quitting veganism because of criticism worth it. Sounds like they'd be people I wouldn't want in my life, if they made me feel bad about my choices. I wouldn't just conform to theirs. Although I'm sure having a child in the mix makes it much harder than if it were just you.

Having a child makes it like a thousand times harder!!
I was vegetarian before having kids, never had issues with anyone really, but saying you have someone else that eats your way--whoa, do they become vocal! I would say it was the level of concern I would have if I drank wine with each meal! And once they're born---it's like almost every conversation. I did succumb to the criticism, mostly because much came from my husband.
Even trying to keep junk food away is really hard, actually almost as much as meat and dairy!
I remember a news story I thought was going to be about a woman raising her kids vegan and fighting criticism, so I waited to see it--nope, she just didn't allow them processed foods or sugar!!! The whole community was saying child abuse :bang: :rolleyes:

Honestly, my advice would be keep a very low profile on being vegan when the child is small. When offered meat, say things like they have a bad tummy or something about it doesn't sit well. I would not use this time to be an outspoken AR advocate, unless you have support.
Even a lie about keeping meat or dairy to a minimum could save you a ton of problems. Just my thinking
Things change of course with start of school, but today, depending where you live of course, isn't near what the backlash was when mine were small. There is real truth to a plant based diet being optimal!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Honestly, my advice would be keep a very low profile on being vegan when the child is small. When offered meat, say things like they have a bad tummy or something about it doesn't sit well. I would not use this time to be an outspoken AR advocate, unless you have support.
Even a lie about keeping meat or dairy to a minimum could save you a ton of problems. Just my thinking
Things change of course with start of school, but today, depending where you live of course, isn't near what the backlash was when mine were small. There is real truth to a plant based diet being optimal!
Thank you for your replies! Yes, we've already been verbally attacked by a couple of people in our family. It's very unpleasant. This isnt going to be easy as we move on ahead in life raising our little guy vegan. Fascinating how non vegans are instantly nutrition EXPERTS once they know you are vegan lol