7 dead, including suspect, at Wisconsin Sikh Temple

I went to a US Catholic prep school in the 1970's (no nuns, one monk, no uniforms) and we took theology all four years. It was mostly about other religions aside from Christianity, and there was a lot of debate on existence of God, etc. I also took a course in college on comparative religions. I'm sad that this seems to be a thing of the past, as my kids' schools didn't teach anything of the kind, either.

Part of the less publicity is that:

(1) Most people aren't Sikhs, so this couldn't happen to them. (Or so they think.)
(2) Shooter is dead. Less followup coverage.

there was also a mosque bombing today in Missouri.

Dear Missouri: What's wrong with you?

Part of the less publicity is that:

(1) Most people aren't Sikhs, so this couldn't happen to them. (Or so they think.)
(2) Shooter is dead. Less followup coverage.

Dear Missouri: What's wrong with you?

agreed. some of this may be due to non Christian stuff, but i think it falls more on the 'isolated issue category'. feels more foreign to people. the opposite of 9/11 and the Denver shooting. it's easier to be less shocked when it's less direct.

Missouri is home to Navoo. nuff said.

It's almost as if the Sikh shooting reminded them that they needed to finish the job.

Probably exactly what the shooter intended. He was big on the idea that it wasn't enough to talk about white supremacy - racist types should take concrete action.

Interesting new detail this morning. The shooter was wounded by the police officer, but the bullet that killed him came from his own gun. Martyrs can drive movements, and my read on it is he wanted to ensure he became a martyr for his cause - being taken alive wouldn't do that.

-------------

The news coverage refers to this guy as a "suspect". Why? I understand if he was still alive wanting to wait for a jury verdict, but this guy is dead. No trial to worry about.

-----------

The first "muslim" killed for being a "muslim" post 9/11 was actually a Sikh. So, yeah, there is precedent for that sort of confusion. Apparently there have been a number of similar (not lethal in most cases) examples of the two being conflated. Neo-Nazis aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

and MLP mentioned getting older and cooling down. from what i've seen of radical racist groups, that's not the case. It seems like hatred causes seething which may boil over. think of Oklahoma and those guys in Montana.

Religion was not taught in any of my schools. (Unless you count the World Mythology elective I took for a literature credit.) The only mentions of religion I remember were in history classes when religion was a direct factor in specific historical events being covered.

I actually feel lucky that I was in school in the good ol' days when Kansas schools actually taught science and sex ed.

and MLP mentioned getting older and cooling down. from what i've seen of radical racist groups, that's not the case. It seems like hatred causes seething which may boil over. think of Oklahoma and those guys in Montana.

What guys in Montana? Did you mean Idaho?

Interesting new detail this morning. The shooter was wounded by the police officer, but the bullet that killed him came from his own gun. Martyrs can drive movements, and my read on it is he wanted to ensure he became a martyr for his cause - being taken alive wouldn't do that.

Well, that or it really really hurt.